Trail Runners

Trail shoes (Read 663 times)

I have been thinking of getting the Vasque Blur, does anyone know if it is as cushiony as the Velocity? I run a lot of miles on technical trails and I need the extra cushioning or else my feet feel like they have been through a meat tenderizer after 25 miles or so (with the Salomon's, New Balance, even the Brooks ASR's).
    I had a pair of these, and while I really liked them, i found they didn't breathe well in hot weather. I wore them yesterday since my primarty pair was still wet, and I wouldn't use "cushiony" to describe them. But again, I really liked them.
    Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado
      Nike Humara...not a popular trail shoe, it looks like. Also profoundly ugly. But they feel like moccasins with grippy soles, so I'm happy.

OilCreek100.org

Santa got me a pair of Vasque Blur's that I've been wearing around the house, after a few weeks or a month I'll take them out on the trails to give them a try and break them in for the McNaughton Park 150 in April. So far I like them in the house. ;-) Thanks Santa (he must have seen they were on sale at Gander Mtn) !
        sherpagirl

Sherpagirl

I need a really good motion control shoe. Trail shoes have REALLY lagged behind in this area. I pretty much run in Brooks Addictions - they have both a trail and a road shoe. I use the road version for roads and the treadmill and save my trail shoes for the trails. Honestly other than the fact that the upper doesn't show dirt as much and they have a heavier sole I don't feel too much difference. I the summer I run a lot of really rugged, rocky and technical trails. These shoes do just fine.
          If you're bored ask why you're boring
            Santa got me a pair of Vasque Blur's that I've been wearing around the house, after a few weeks or a month I'll take them out on the trails to give them a try and break them in for the McNaughton Park 150 in April. So far I like them in the house. ;-) Thanks Santa (he must have seen they were on sale at Gander Mtn) !
            After running on my old pair of these in the snow on Friday, and found my feet fairly dry and toasty, I stopped at the local running company yesterday and got a brand new pair! I wore them out the door on a very wet and muddy 11 mile run. The Vasque's tend to lack maximum cushioning (see my pprevious post on this page), but I still really like them, enough to buy my 2nd pair! Big grin I think I'll be getting Asics 2120 Trails again once the heat is turned on out there.
            Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado
            KathyW

I like my Brooks Adrenaline ASR's - very comfy.

OilCreek100.org

I wore my Brooks Adrenaline ASR's on today's 23 mile trail run, but I need to get my new Blur's dirty soon so I see how they work! Big grin
                  Anyone try the New Balance 790? They are a very lightweight and flat (which is what I like in a shoe) trail shoe. I saw some at Marshall's yesterday for $30 and I'm thinking about picking some up.

Ultrachick

I wear Brooks Adrenaline on the roads, Brooks ASR for dirt roads and easier trail runs and Montrail Hardrocks for the more rugged terrain. I wear orthotics and these shoes work with them in. I just bought a new pair of ASRs yesterday and wore them on a short road run last night and they felt a bit stiffer than I remember the last pair being. It also could be I'm coming off from a pair of dead roadies. Kelly
                    If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.
                      I'm sold on my latest pair, the LaSportiva Pikes Peak. They've got over 200 miles on them now and the soles still look brand new. If they start pissing me off though, I'll be sure to let everyone know.
                        Asics 2120 trail runner here. I've read negative reviews about the 2120T, saying that they tend to fall apart. Well, I got home from my run this morning and noticed that one of my shoes had indeed started to "fall apart". The mesh on the outside just disconnected from the bottom of the shoe, leaving what looks like a perfect 1" incision. The shoes have just under 300 miles...I'm really bummed because I love these shoes. The 2130 trail is now available, people considering Asics might want to skip the 2120's and head for the 2130.
                        www.mnultrarunner.blogspot.com
                        Shiksa

I just put a call out regarding trail shoes on the main board and Run To Win directed me here. It is great to read all these posts. I'm very excited to be here. My head has been spinning with all my options. My beloved hiking shoes have been Merrill's for the last 10 years or so. Finding my road shoes took several tries, and I've just not wanted to take the leap to trail shoes. I also live very rurally and have few shopping options. I'm thinking I might try to order the Vasque shoe and the Brooks. I have high hopes for the Vasque knowing how good their hiking boots are.

Stacy
                          I make no apologies for my liberal use of smiley icons. http://www.BlakeHillHouse.com

My sweet new crank!

I am 88 miles into my Salomon XA Pro 3D XCRs. Took the first pair back got a half size smaller. So far so good. I will putting 24 miles on them in the morning, through snow, packed and fresh. I have had no real complaints yet, but it has all been winter running in snow. So I am not sure about how they will handle rocks/roots, I may find out 2/9/08 on my first 50K. I did screw them with about 10 3/8" screws each and could feel it a bit on the asphalt, but it did help in the snow. I have 4 screws in each now, and they feel great and footing is strong.
                            Ryan O'D Gurnee, IL by way of Madison, WI via Wichita, KS via Denver, CO
                              I am 88 miles into my Salomon XA Pro 3D XCRs. Took the first pair back got a half size smaller. So far so good.
                              I've had 3 pairs of these and continually had issues with the quick zips breaking. Salomon always replaced them, so I kept getting the shoes cause they fit me great. But my last pair pretty much fell apart after 160 miles. So I am done with the salomons.
                                Anyone try the New Balance 790? They are a very lightweight and flat (which is what I like in a shoe) trail shoe. I saw some at Marshall's yesterday for $30 and I'm thinking about picking some up.
                                Ended up buying them for $37 with tax. The upper is very breathable and comfortable. They are very flexible, lightweight, and pretty flat like I mentioned, but still have a rock plate and good traction. Love them so far.