Trail Runners

Neo-Trail Runners Extreme Team-February 2009 (Read 374 times)

Chris, how was the race? I can't wait for a RR and pictures!
    Race went pretty well. It was really cold and windy this year and the sand was much deeper than in years past, but I still managed to lower my time by 6 minutes. I was shooting for sub-6 hours, but came up 10 min short. Oh well, just another reason to go back next year Smile I didn't take many photos this year, but I'll try to cobble something together this week. That sucks about the camping trip. I hate that stuff...it's so aggravating. We had a similar incident in Rocky Mountain National Park about 7 years ago. There were some people cranked up on meth screaming and yelling all night. The cops (about 50 of them) finally showed up and hauled them all to jail... but they bailed out of jail and were back in 4 hours doing it again! So they were arrested and hauled off again. Leslie... I just noticed you live in Humboldt county... seems like there should be plenty of "OTC meds" floating around there for gentle relief, from what I've heard of Humboldt county. Wink - Chris
      Leslie... I just noticed you live in Humboldt county... seems like there should be plenty of "OTC meds" floating around there for gentle relief, from what I've heard of Humboldt county. Wink - Chris
      Most definitely. Not exactly the relief I was looking for, but relief from other issues. Big grin Ran a few errands with The Hub yesterday and came home exhausted. Geesh! Laid around the rest of the day. Only other problem I've been having is back muscle spasms due to overcompensation for the stomach. Been using muscle relaxers and the heating pad, to no avail. Even got The Hub the give me a good "foot massage" to try and relieve it. I think tomorrow I will look for a good massage to help work to help work out the kinks. Chris - Congrats on the race. Wish the conditions had been a bit better for you, but it is winter. Tongue Kelly - Did you hear anything about the job? Kitrin - I love camping. Haven't done it in years, but yes, crappy neighbors can destroy what should be an otherwise relaxing time. Which reminds me - There's a very small campground we used to go to, and which I'd love to go back to as it sits at the trail head of the Trinity Alps. Really cool creek with tons of granite boulders and rock that, depending on the time of year, you can literally use to walk all the way up to the top of the creek. The first time we camped there, we took off down a non-descript dirt road looking for a way to the creek for water. About a 100 feet or so from a bend in the road, these two dogs come barreling around the corner, snarling and growling at us. It was like slow motion. The Hub turns to me and yells, "Run!" and I turned to run as fast as I possible could (which - ha ha ha ha ha ha - was very slow) and the The Hub stood his ground with the water cannister yelling at them. All I could think in the few seconds (but what seemed like long minutes) of running was, if I make it to the campground, then what? I can't get in the car in time. I was freaking scared $hitless. They ended up being unwilling to challenge The Hub, but holy cow!! We were both shaking so bad for quite awhile. Tomorrow I return to work. It'll be interesting to see how I hold out. Later!

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Howdy y'all. Glad to hear all is well with everyone. Just keep moving as Kitrin said and all will continue to be well. No trail running for me over the weekend due to V-day. Got a 4 star hotel in the city right next to Independance Hall with my wife. Ate at some great restaurants, walked the city some, nice decompression time. I went running barefoot today, 4.25 miles before having to don the shoes. 32 degrees, sunny. My feet were cold at first but quickly warmed up. The asphalt was warm in the direct sunlight. Little sore now as last week I only went 1.5 in one run. I felt good so I thought what the heck. I have some blood blisters to show for it, but it was worth it. I got those by being too aggressive going downhill at mile 3.75. Oh well. Got some funny comments: " What, are you some kind of NUTS?!" I replied it depends on who you ask. A mile later, a lady sitting on her bike watched me come running up and said, "You win." Guess she meant the hardcore contest. I dunno. I love it though. I'm gonna keep doing it as much as I can. Losing my job. The agency is closing due to a low census of residents.

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.

Sorry to hear about the job, Greg. I think we're going to be seeing lots of folks going through some hard times in the upcoming months. Will be sending good thoughts and prayers that you find something soon. Was given the green light today to start riding the stationary bike, then move slowly into running by using a treadmill. I don't have access to a treadmill and refuse to join a club just so I can run on one for a couple of weeks. I think I will begin next week alternating riding and power walking, then slowly move the power walking up into a very easy run.

Leslie
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Sorry to hear about the job, Greg. I think we're going to be seeing lots of folks going through some hard times in the upcoming months. Will be sending good thoughts and prayers that you find something soon. Good luck. Sounds like you have the right idea-just keep moving, progressivley more stress. I amazed today. No achilles pain that I've been plagued with for the last month. Also, no hip pain which has bothered me some lately. It's just this nagging pain in my left hip, right above the bone protrusion, on my side. Hurts when I walk and when I get out of bed. No back pain, no leg pains which have been coming on a little bit lately. All hurts are gone. I believe due to the proper alignment and gait from the barefoot running. I will keep this up. Was given the green light today to start riding the stationary bike, then move slowly into running by using a treadmill. I don't have access to a treadmill and refuse to join a club just so I can run on one for a couple of weeks. I think I will begin next week alternating riding and power walking, then slowly move the power walking up into a very easy run.

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.

Greg - Nice to know you think so highly of me as to quote my entire post without comment. Big grin

Leslie
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Ultrachick

Hi Guys! Bummer about you losing your job Greg. Now it's time to move on to bigger and better things. Speaking of which-I got the personal trainer job I told you about. I got the call today and accepted. Unfortunately, the trainer I'm replacing had to be let go because she wasn't fulfilling her duties any more so I can start immediately. However, I've already made plans for when my kids are on vacation next week to take them skiing in Central VT (Killington and possibly Stratton). The gym is willing to wait for me since I already had this planned and my kids would be really bummed if I bagged out now so I'll keep my start date as planned to March 2. Otherwise, I'm busy with ski school, kids, studying, Jack and the usual stuff. Running is OK-I'm ready for some dirt. Glad to see you bouncing back Leslie. Take care everyone and have a great weekend! Kelly
                If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.
                Kitrin

Me, the Barbie version

Greg - Nice to know you think so highly of me as to quote my entire post without comment. Big grin
                  Greg is nice like that. Wink Kelly, CONGRATULATIONS!!!! I am very happy for you. Now your training business will really take off and soon you will not even need the gym for clients. Greg, so sorry to hear about the job loss. I will pray that something new comes through quickly. Leslie, you are my hero for your strength and determination. I ran four miles today and pushed myself. I was breathing pretty hard by the end. Still, I got out early enough to have cooler temperatures and I came closer to a blue heron than I ever have before. Beautiful bird! I always thought they were more of a blue-grey, but as the bird spread its wings today I glimsed a lovely shade of blue. Thus the name BLUE heron, lol. I am a slow study. I need to get to bed now. Goodnight. Kitrin
                    I'm no tech. wizard for sure. Kelly, in a lot of ways, your life sounds real nice. The grass is always greener, I know... Here is the press release for my agency: BETHANNA REORGANIZING ON-CAMPUS SERVICES FOR AT-RISK YOUTH Southampton-based nonprofit agency will continue to provide foster care, adoption, mental health and support services for children, families in Southeastern Pennsylvania Southampton, PA (February 18, 2009) – Bethanna’s Board of Directors has announced plans to phase out its Residential Treatment program located in Southampton, Pa. Currently, there are 38 boys and girls served by the Residential Treatment program. The agency’s on-campus facility offers a highly structured, 24-hour out-of-home care for children and adolescents with histories of psychiatric hospitalizations and behavioral and mental health dysfunctions. Given the underutilization of the treatment facility over the past years and the statewide shift from residential treatment to less restrictive environments for treatment of at-risk children and teenagers, Bethanna has made the difficult decision to close the Residential Treatment program by June 30. However, the nonprofit agency will continue to provide foster care, adoption, mental health, and support services to abused and neglected children and their families in Bucks County and surrounding communities. “Over the last three years, the state of Pennsylvania has been steadily reducing the number of out-of-home beds for children who would benefit from residential treatment services. As a result, the number of referrals from outside agencies to Bethanna has declined. Without these referrals, we cannot continue to operate successfully,” says Charles Seith, executive director for Bethanna. Founded in 1934, the agency serves youth ranging in ages from infants to 18 years old. Last year, Bethanna provided programs and services to over 2,200 children and families in crisis throughout Southeastern Pennsylvania. “Our first and foremost concern is the placement of the children currently served by the Residential Treatment program,” adds Seith. “Every child will receive the very best in care and support from Bethanna. Our agency is making every effort to locate appropriate placements for each child currently in our care. We are working with social workers and county agencies associated with each child in order to make the transition to the biological family, other RTF’s, and foster care programs either operated by Bethanna or other area agencies.” Currently, Bethanna operates 274 foster care homes in the region. “At the same time, we are undergoing this major shift in our operation, we are also evaluating plans to reengineer the Southampton facility, transitioning from 24-hour residential services to providing day treatment services for at-risk children and teenagers in the community.” Bethanna has 265 employees and four offices located in Southampton, Philadelphia, Lancaster and Media, Pa.

Well...that sure sucks the big one Greg...sorry to hear that. Sad
                        Hey everybody. What'd y'all do this weekend? Leslie, how you recovering? I ran 9.3 in the Wiss, my local jaunt. Been a few weeks since I went long and steep so my knees were aching by the time I finished. Mud like peanut butter on some sections of the trail. I have to start upping my long distance runs so I can be ready by the summer for the longer stuff. I plan on doing at least one ultra a month for the second half of the year, starting in May or June.

Hi - I'm still here, just not doing a whole lot. Had my longest workout this a.m. since surgery with 45 min on the stationary bike and about 20 min of light weights, mostly upper body. I plan to alternate biking with power walking this week and hopefully easy back into running next week. I'm ready. My buddy, Karen, ran her first 50k at Hagg Lake, OR, this weekend. Made very jealous. Wink I'm still planning for my first run to be May 10, but it's being changed to the Redwood Park Trail Run. I'll probably only do the 30k as I don't think I'll be ready for a 50k by then. Boo hoo Cry. Smile Have a good one!

Leslie
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Still, an 18 mile trail run will be nice. And what's the deal with your cat? Tell it to get a room or something.

And what's the deal with your cat? Tell it to get a room or something.
                              Big grin He's a pervert! Big grin

Leslie
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Did a mellow 3 hours yesterday. Tweaked my achilles tendon a little... hope it passes soon. Hope everyone had a nice weekend!