Swim Bike Run

another new bike (Read 341 times)

IMKY13 finish!!

Okay, I'm looking at another bike...a Tommaso Coltello Tri Bike.  Here are the specs on it...how are these?

Tommaso Double Butted Aluminum 6061 Tri Specific Frame

Tommaso TRS Aero Tri Fork

Tommaso TRS Tri Saddle

FSA Vision J-Bend Aero Extensions

FSA Vision Aero Wing with Internal Brake Routing

Shimano 105 5700 Front and 6700 Ultegra Rear Derailleur

Shimano Dura Ace shifters

FSA Tempo 50/34 Omega External Bearings Crankset

Alex 220 (50cm frame) / Alex 1.0 20/24 Spoke Wheels (54cm, 57cm, 60cm frame)

Hutchinson 700x23 Lightweight Kevlar Bead Tires

Thanks!!

Fitness/weight goals for 2014

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

2) Get to 189 lbs by the end of July 2014...and stay there (as of 4-25-14 was at 203 lbs)

3) Complete Ironman Chattanooga in under 14 hours

4) Break 4 hours in a stand alone marathon (Goal race=Rocket City 12/13/14)

5) 4,500 total overall miles for the year:

Swim: 100 miles

Bike: 3,000 miles

Run: 1,400 miles

Slo

Again,

A decent list of components. I don't know anything though about the MFG.

If your buying mail order, knowing that there is a reputable MFG behind you is pretty important.

Both bikes you were looking at are Aluminum...Poor workmanship at the welds can be an issue. If your dealing with Trek, or Felt or Specialized I wouldn't be concerned much. (A BIG NOTE: It could be very possible those big name frames are built in the same shop as these lessor knowns) The difference is a company like TREK will stand behind the bike.

I like the list I seen on the Motobecane better than this one. Are you still looking or did you change your mind on the Motobecane.

The objective is to purchase the best bike you can for the least you have too. I know how rough it is buying a bike. If you had $4k to spend it would be so much easier.

By the way: the Alex 220 are wheels. Crap in my opinion...They came on my Quintanna Roo. Just good enough for a set of training wheels. They handle like shit, they flex, they don't stay true...I don't remember what the Motobecane had.

You will definetly appreciate the higher end components. If you put tons of miles on you'll appreciate the higher end frame.

Keep us posted.

IMKY13 finish!!

Thanks for the input!  BTW, the wheels on the Motobecane are: Shimano WHR500 Aero Section, Black w/ CNC sidewalls

I didn't change my mind on the Motobecane, I am still looking.  I am really trying to keep my cost at $1K.  I know that's not really a lot for a tri bike...but it's just pretty much what I can spend right now.  I am just trying to get the most/best I can for my current budget.

Again, thanks!!!

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

2) Get to 189 lbs by the end of July 2014...and stay there (as of 4-25-14 was at 203 lbs)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Pablo, another thought is to pick up a 2011 bike once the 2012s are out.  We're thisclose to pulling the trigger on a cyclocross bike for me.  Our LBS has a lonely Redline bike in my size that our shop owner friend has been trying to "unload" on me for a good 6 months--and it's now on closeout as he is not going to carry Redline in 2012 (he's switching to Ridley).  It currently has low-end Shimano group, but he'd swap out SRAM Apex for me (my road bike has SRAM, so I don't want a different system for a CX bike).

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I just found a 2007 Felt B2 for 1200 on CraigsList.

If you're going to buy a new bike from the web without getting fit, why not try getting a used one locally so you can at least test fit, ride it first?

Specialized in Nashville

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

IMKY13 finish!!

Pablo, another thought is to pick up a 2011 bike once the 2012s are out.  We're thisclose to pulling the trigger on a cyclocross bike for me.  Our LBS has a lonely Redline bike in my size that our shop owner friend has been trying to "unload" on me for a good 6 months--and it's now on closeout as he is not going to carry Redline in 2012 (he's switching to Ridley).  It currently has low-end Shimano group, but he'd swap out SRAM Apex for me (my road bike has SRAM, so I don't want a different system for a CX bike).

Oh yes...I know the Motobecane Nemesis PRO (a step up to the Nemesis) is currently $1295.  I am hoping that it will drop to $1K once the 2012's come out.  I am just trying to do my research/info gathering before hand, so that I can pull the trigger as soon as it does drop in price (if it does).

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

Slo

Thanks for the input!  BTW, the wheels on the Motobecane are: Shimano WHR500 Aero Section, Black w/ CNC sidewalls

I didn't change my mind on the Motobecane, I am still looking.  I am really trying to keep my cost at $1K.  I know that's not really a lot for a tri bike...but it's just pretty much what I can spend right now.  I am just trying to get the most/best I can for my current budget.

Again, thanks!!!

That's a better wheelset. I like the Motobecane. That's a lot of bike for $1k. You couldn't buy the components only for that price.

What your going to get from the frame is Comfort, Fit, Stiffness...A good stiff frame responds very nicely to your efforts. If you get up out of your saddle to pull away from someone, a bike that is stiff will feel like it "jumps". All your energy is transfered to the wheels. Good climbers are stiff bikes.

Comfort comes from a softer frame. The ability of the frame to absorb road shocks, keep the wheels in contact with road etc. Very important on epic rides.

Aluminum is light and stiff. Great for speed, sprinting, climbing but it does not dampen the road much. Carbon forks are a must have on aluminum bikes. Aluminum bikes are a great choice for shorter rides. Budget price, fast, solid performance.

Steel Frames are both stiff and shock absorbing but they are not light. Great for those long slow hauls. Touring bikers (baggers) love these.

Carbon is light but it's very easy to get a "flexy" bike, although no so much today now that the mfg's have figured out how to stiffen them up. One of the biggest pitfalls of carbon yet today is if you crash it and break it, it's pretty much done. Very difficult to repair.

The ultimate frame material is Titanium...Which I am experiencing first hand right now. Stiff, light, shock absorbing...I'm drooling thinking about it right now.

The geometery of the bike relates to performance too. In handling, what muscle groups are used and comfort. Almost all of these things can be adjusted between the seat height and post angle, the stem length etc. What sucks is when you get a poorly designed frame that causes your toes to hit the front tire when your making an upright turn. (I have one of these right now) On a road bike or time trial though this is very unlikely.

You could go get a Cannondale, Felt,, Specialized for the same price but you will be at entry level components. They work, get the job done but there is a noticable difference.