Swim Bike Run

Three weeks to Kona (Read 318 times)

T-Bone

Puttin' on the foil

The Ironman World Championship race in Kona is three weeks from the Saturday. I have no delusions of grandeur, I could have the race of my life and not crack the top 20 of my age group. I am looking forward to the challenge.

I'm going to race a half iron race on Saturday, then the remaining three weeks will focus on three workouts (a five-hour brick, a four-hour brick and a three-hour brick). The rest of the time will be focused on shaking all fatigue and resting. I want to show up at the race as fresh as possible, without losing too much fitness. I believe I have "under tapered" during my last two Ironman races, resulting in sub par performances.

I did this race in 2008 and did not have the greatest race. I am struggling with a couple of issues --

1. Aero helmet or road helmet: In 2008 I wore an aero helmet. The bike course is so damn windy and hot that I do think the aero helmet provides a significant time-saving; however, the aero helmet is hot and there is no way to pour water on your head during the bike. I'm thinking of wearing a standard road helmet in an effort to stay cool, hoping that will translate into a better run split. I'm willing to sacrifice 5 to 10 minutes on the bike for a good run. It seems to work for Craig Alexander and Chrissie Wellington, but they are freaks.

2. Swim attire:  The WTC banned all swim skins that contain any material other than textile. It is a non-wetsuit swim in the ocean. Several manufacturers have come out with textile swim skins that cost between $350-$400. I don't want to spend that type of money on a swim skin that I will only wear in Kona. Instead, I am thinking of just wearing my try shorts and rocking it old-school (sans top). The manufacturers alleged that the textile swim skins can save between three and five minutes on the swim. Is it worth the money?

Don't be obsessed with your desires Danny. The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I know nothing about the swim attire issue...but I would think that a standard bike helmet and the ability to control your temp better makes sense.  Overheating on the 2nd leg of the race seems like it could really screw up your run and I would think that even if you were more aerodynamic that you'd still be dragged down on the bike a bit if you're too warm.

Of course, I know nothing about tris, much less IM, but I know that I, personally, do not handle heat well...at all.

Good luck with everything.  This is really interesting to follow.  I look forward to seeing how this taper treats you.  Can't wait to read your report in a few weeks. Smile

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

1)  I think I would go with the road helmet, the greater ability to regulate your temperature offsets the aero disadvantage.  But, I have had issues with overheating in the past, so am more sensitive.  Nothing sucks worse than a death march at the end of a race.

2)  That's your call.  Are the minutes you would shave off worth approx. $100 each?

Good Luck, you should have a great race!

protoplasm72

3 minutes is about 5 seconds per 100m.  Not sure I would believe that.  Especially considering you are already a good swimmer.  I see less difference then that on my wetsuit vs non-wetsuit swims.  I would definitely go without the fancy suit.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

Slo

T-Bone....I'm bullheaded....I'm an Old school fan.

Screw the aero helmet......Chrissie Wellington doesn't need one.

3 -5 minutes for $350 bucks......Not for me.

The yahoo's over at slowtwitch go ballaistic over someone accidently drafting for 2 mins on a 1980 Schwinn voyager in an over-crowded Oly Tri but they themselves think nothing of dropping $4000 on wheel sets, aerogear and swim skins. It's only fair if you can afford it.

Sorry.......Last year Tri's have left a really bad impression on me.

Man you are one fit SOB !  You'll rock this race. Remember....It's just a Triathlon damit....Have fun. Thats whats it's about. Full report expected.

3 weeks out. The hays in barn, relax, rest, and picture the perfect race.

Good luck

Ditch the banana, I mean aero helmet. Like you said, Chrissie Wellington doesn't need one?

And if you can afford the swim skin and/or you think its going to make that much of a difference in terms of where you are going to place, then go for it, you have already put how much $$$ into your bike, flights, training, race fees, etc.....

Man, Tri's are expensive.

Good luck.

Ps. Think I have said this before, but your log is awesome, hopefully one day

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Man, Tri's are expensive.

In addition to not really liking swimming, that expense thing is a big deal-breaker.  Running and biking are already putting a dent in our finances.  Though I guess it's still cheaper than paying for the health effects of a sedentary lifestyle.

~ Sarah Kay

T-Bone

Puttin' on the foil

All righty then.  I knew I'd get some people to slap some sense into me!  Going to go with the road helmet and hit it old school with tri shorts only during the swim.  Thanks for the input.

P.S. - The taper must be working because I feel like shit.

P.S.#2 - I have a pro triathlete friend who lives in Spokane.  We train together.  Her name is Haley Cooper.  She is training in Kona right now.  She texted me last night.  She rode the bike course yesterday in the "fiercest winds" she's ever experienced.  It took her 6 hours.  I usually out bike her by 10-15 minutes in IM races.  5:45 bike split?  Goody.

Speaking of times, I guess I'd better call it.  Here's the goal -

1:10:00 swim

3:30 T1

5:20:00 bike

3:30 T2

3:20:00 run

9:57:00 total.

That would be a perfect day.  In 2008 I did a 10:18 over there.  The winds were up in 2008 (30-40mph sustained).  If the winds are like 20 mph, it is doable.

Don't be obsessed with your desires Danny. The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

protoplasm72

Crazy.  

Good luck man.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

All righty then.  I knew I'd get some people to slap some sense into me!  Going to go with the road helmet and hit it old school with tri shorts only during the swim.  Thanks for the input.

P.S. - The taper must be working because I feel like shit.

P.S.#2 - I have a pro triathlete friend who lives in Spokane.  We train together.  Her name is Haley Cooper.  She is training in Kona right now.  She texted me last night.  She rode the bike course yesterday in the "fiercest winds" she's ever experienced.  It took her 6 hours.  I usually out bike her by 10-15 minutes in IM races.  5:45 bike split?  Goody.

That would be a perfect day.  In 2008 I did a 10:18 over there.  The winds were up in 2008 (30-40mph sustained).  If the winds are like 20 mph, it is doable.

Wow.......[bowing and chanting]...... "I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy"

Good luck. I also like the "Old School" swim attire and not wearing the "Sperm" helemt.

MTA: Do you know if we need your bib number to follow your progress with the realtime athlete tracking?

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

T-Bone Bib Number 911 Nice number

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

T-Bone

Puttin' on the foil

Yeah, that's right. My bib number for Kona is 9-1-1. Friends and family tracking on your smart phones please dial carefully. I guess if I pass out in a ditch the bib number will prompt the first responder to take appropriate action.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

T-Bone Bib Number 911 Nice number

That is way better than 666! Big grin

~ Sarah Kay

Anyone know when it is going to be on TV? Still have last years on my dvr
                              T-Bone

Puttin' on the foil

It usually airs sometime in late November/early December.