Swim Bike Run

Xterra on the horizon (Read 317 times)

Slo

2 weeks ago I did a little adventure race. RR Report Here.

Although I was caught a little of guard I had an absolute blast.

I traded in my Mountainbike 5 years ago. It had become a commuter bike after we reloacted to a town that had no MTB trails, no MTB club etc. So I traded it for a GT ZUM.  I almost completely forgot about the blast I had mountain bike racing over 7 years ago. Spending hours on single path trails, thru the timber, creeks, hills, stumps, jumps and rocks. Well this little race re-ignited the fire.

I have since found that we now have some local trails along with some supposedly kick @ss trails nearby.

So...I just purchased a new mountainbike. Nothing special.....the same frame I rode 10 years ago. A GT Hardtail. (Avalanche 1.0)

Michigan and Indianna both host a couple of Xterra events. It'll add another dimension to my already crazy training regime. But my best road biking days were the days that I was blazing trails on a MTB. it's an awesome kind of interval training.

Now i need to find some off road running trails.

Is anyone famliar with off road triathlon ?

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I think at least one of those Xterra races is right in my neck of the woods.  The guy who is the local RD is super awesome...organizes several of my favorite races.

I seem to recall that he does one off-road tri that involves mountain biking, kayaking, and trail running.  I'd love to do something like that if mountain biking didn't scare the bejeezus outta me.

BTW, if you ever want a really cool place to mountain bike there is a Boy Scout camp that lets the general public pay to use their land on the off-season.  It's $40 for a year pass or $6/visit.  DH has gone out there several times this year.  Last Friday he did a couple of endos, but can't wait to go back.

There are 2 loops...I think each is about 12 miles.  Some pretty hairy terrain, too.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Here is the Xterra event in my area...it is literally IN my town (though the actual lines of the town go WAY out in the boonies east of what everyone thinks of as the village limits):

looks like the cycling and running portions are almost entirely in the Boy Scout camp grounds, too.

If you want I can have my DH tell you more about the course, since he has done both loops on his bike several times.  He's on RA a bit, perhaps I can even nag him into joining this group. Wink

~ Sarah Kay

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

2 weeks ago I did a little adventure race. RR Report Here.

Although I was caught a little of guard I had an absolute blast.

Very exciting and entertaining race report!

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Slo

Here is the Xterra event in my area...it is literally IN my town (though the actual lines of the town go WAY out in the boonies east of what everyone thinks of as the village limits):

looks like the cycling and running portions are almost entirely in the Boy Scout camp grounds, too.

If you want I can have my DH tell you more about the course, since he has done both loops on his bike several times.  He's on RA a bit, perhaps I can even nag him into joining this group. Wink

Yep,

That's one of my potentials. I could easily make a day trip if necessary.......but more likely make a weekend out of it.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yep,

That's one of my potentials. I could easily make a day trip if necessary.......but more likely make a weekend out of it.

If you end up doing that I'd love to come out and spectate.  I should look into volunteering at that race, too.

~ Sarah Kay