Swim Bike Run

What does an Ironman event and Mickey Mouse have in common? (Read 324 times)

Slo

http://www.active.com/triathlon-membership/tampa-fl/ironman-access-2011

Kinda like a fast pass.......and total bullshit I say.

I've been volunteering for 5 years for these yahoo's so if I got the wildhair up my arse to do one I would have a first shot when registration opened......rather than standing out there for 9 hours all I really needed was 1000 bucks....geesh.

I will no longer volunteer for a WTC event. And if I decide to ever go long....it won't be a WTC event.

I saw that today and really pissed me off. $1000 plus registration fee is insane. The cost is really drawing me away from the longer distance ones.

I had thoughts of entering an Ironman competetion in the future, but doubt it now. There is no way in hell I'll fork out a grand to get in a lottery drawing.

More of the "haves vs have nots" and the "good ol boys" club at its finest. yuck

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Slo

$1000 plus registration fee is insane.  

Your forgetting Active.coms registration fees. Not once but twice.......The fee for the "exclusive" membership and then the fee for the actual Ironman of your choice registration. Thats probably another $50 right there.

I also liked the "Exclusive" membership. The only thing "Exclusive" about it is how fast you can cough up $1000.00.

BT...the only problem is there are very few Full Iron distances that are not WTC events. And it's quickly becoming that way for the 70.3 as well.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

The one that I think is closest to me is not ironman branded.

However, I'm not iron-distance branded either, so it's immaterial Smile

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Lots of updates released on facebook, ill post them on here when I get to a computer. They "claim" they are saving people (the volunteers and people that register in person) $$$ by not making them fly to the site and get a hotel.
              protoplasm72

The one that I think is closest to me is not ironman branded.

However, I'm not iron-distance branded either, so it's immaterial Smile

So you're saying we can all come crash at your place when we do that race?  You're awesome dude.  

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

So you're saying we can all come crash at your place when we do that race?  You're awesome dude.  

Lets pencil it into our training schedules.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Slo

The whole facebook thing is too funny. There are a few people supporting it...very few.

Thier reasoning of "saving people money" because they will no longer have to travel to the event could have easily have been solved by not having a general sign up at the event...make it online only.

I've been a volunteer in IM MOO for the last 5 years. When I started, sign up was first for those in-person when it opened. (the day after the event) Athletes first then general public. That changed to participating athletes could sign up the day prior to the race and the general public was the day after. And the last change, 2 years ago was that volunteers where guaranteed a slot just by the asking.

IM Moo has typically only had a few hundred slots left after the in-person sign up making on line impossible. Of course, there was always the community charity program if you wanted to buy your way in.

I remember....and have I very fond memories...of when Triathlon was a grass roots event. I really hate what it has become.....I did 0 tri's this year....I've been seeking out the grassroots stuff like "GravelGrinders" and what not. For the record...I also despise the mega marathons.

I agree with all your points, but even the "mega marathons" (boston), sold out in 8 hours, not 20 min and is $130, not $600.
                      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

This would be funnier, were it not so real.

I guess I can be thankful that an IM race has never been a goal for me.  I'd be pretty much destroyed had I planned to train for and compete in an IM event, only to have had this go down.  No way could I ever justify that king of money for one race.  I forgot where I read it, but someone said IM used to be about "elite" athletes.  Now it's pretty much reduced to elite pocketbooks.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Phew...well that didn't last long.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Funny

And how he say's "We will issue refunds."

How many people already signed up????? Enough for him to say that I guess

T-Bone

Puttin' on the foil

Don't be obsessed with your desires Danny. The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Slo

Nice T-Bone.......I am curious to what your take on this "Access" program was.