Swim Bike Run

40 mi bike, 10 mi run Brick (Read 236 times)

db7

Going out for a 40/10 brick in the am.  Part of my build up for IM Buffalo Springs Lake 70.3.  Should be fun.  Any advice?

DB

Tougher than most, dumber than the rest. "You can not count the miles until you feel them" TVZ

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I'm sure you're much more experienced than I, but I've heard people recommending to spin fast in a low gear going into transition, to help get the legs ready for the running. I don't understand why, but I've heard that recommended.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

db7

I dont know why either.  The problem I have is, I run too fast off the bike.  I know its because of the fast pedal cadence but its hard to slow down.   I feel so slow already.  Its not a real big deal on short bricks but on the longer ones it makes a really big difference.  I try to slow down the last 200 yds so I can set my pace for the run.  Maybe thats not the best way??

DB

Tougher than most, dumber than the rest. "You can not count the miles until you feel them" TVZ

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Hey I've noticed I do that too; haven't heard anyone say anything about it. I also figure it is because the cadence is so much higher on the bike, so when I start running, it feels slow, but when I look at my watch, it is a lot faster than it feels.

Slo

So how'd the Brick go ?
            db7

It was good.  Slower than I wanted to go.  It got more and more windy as the morning went on.  My HR avg on the run was 155 and i was pleased with that.  I could have pushed harder but didnt want to bonk.  I feel like I am in a good place almost a month out from the race.  Thanks for checking.

DB

The voice of mile 18

how was the nutrition for this? looks like a good test for the big day. good job!

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

db7

Pretty good.  This was the first test for a couple of new things.  I drank about 20 ozs of chocolate milk on the bike(thats my plan for the race) after a normal breakfast of oatmeal with a bananna.  I got that down by mile 30.  Nutrigrain bar right before run start.  Then 20 ozs of lemonaid/H2O mix during the run.  I plan to add jells during the race and will have gatoraid on the bike as well.  Why the choc milk? Right?  After my Oct marathon and some other long runs, I drink choc milk for recovery drink.  I got that idea from some smart RA ers.  I want to get some serious carbs in on the bike so I can really push the run.  I have had some trouble on long runs/races with drinking too much gatoraid and sugar stuff.  Stomach issues and the like.  So thats the theory.  Feedback welcome.  This is a new experiment for me so it may have holes.  It seemed to work well today.

DB

protoplasm72

Your milk is going to be sitting in the sun in the transition area for a couple hours.  I would not drink that unless vomiting is part of your plan    Also I think it's good post race but not so good pre/during because milk has fat and protein which are bad fuel for exercise.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

Slo

You freeze it. By the time the transition comes around it's ice cold ! Very popular at Ironman events at the half way point on the bike.
                      db7

Freezer is my plan.  Last Sunday in June in TX will not be kind to milk, you are right.  It will only be for an hour or so before I get on the bike after I take it out of the ice chest so it should be good and cold 30 min into the bike.

DB

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I sometimes do chocolate milk after exercising -- haven't done it cycling (but then again, haven't been cycling, so...)

Slo

There's nothing like an Ice Cold Chocolate Milk after a good hard workout.

There's been lots said too about it being nearly the perfect recovery drink. After long training sessions I look forward to a Chocolate Milk and a Bananna......almost heaven !

The only thing that beats an Ice Cold Chocolate Milk after a hard training session is 2 Ice Cold Beers after a well run race !  

db7

Had two myself yesterday.  It was a nice day!

Slow Hand

I like a good E7 but am more likely to strum an Em.

DB