Swim Bike Run

Bike Trainers (Read 507 times)

I have a Kreitler roller trainer with a flywheel and kool fan attached to it and I really like to ride on it. I am thinking about getting another trainer so I can set it up in front of the TV and watch a movie while I spin away. I think the wife would like to ride on a stand trainer more then the rollers anyway. My roller is set up pretty far away from my 27" TV ( yeah thats right, no big flat screen HDTV for me) so watching is not the easiest. Just riding on the rollers and watching can be tricky because even a slight drift of your attention can have you rolling off the side of it. I blew out one tire already last month when I was reaching for the water bottle while trying to watch "The Biggest Loser". I'll keep riding on my roller, but would like a stand trainer for long rides and extra saddle time. I need to toughen up in that area.

Is there much of a difference training wise between the wind type, magneto type and a fluid type? It seems the fluids are more expensive then the magneto and the wind is the cheapest. Also any recommendations on brands to look at and to avoid?

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Slo

I hate stationary equipment....with that said, I couldn't imagine being without my CycleOps Fluid trainer.

If you watch Ebay you can get a Fluid trainer for a hair more than a new Mag style.

The fluid trainer automatically increases resistance as you peddle faster......replicating what you would expect from riding on the road. The wind does the same but they are noisy.

If you buy an older cycleOps, make sure it isn't leaking oil. Some of the older models had an issue with that and from what I understand.....manufactures of cheaper fluid trainers have the same problem.

Mine is a 2006 and does not leak

protoplasm72

I got the kurt kinetic road machine.  It's a great trainer (pretty much top of the line) though I still generally hate being on a trainer.  I got it when the angry badger deal still existed.  If you can find another deal under $250 I'd go for it otherwise you can probably get another trainer that is about as good for a better deal.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

T-Bone

Puttin' on the foil

Computrainer.  You use your own bike.  I can't imagine doing a 3-4 hour trainer ride without it.  It's a little pricey, but I don't golf or ski.  Or anything else for that matter.  Other than work, swim, bike, run (repeat).

Don't be obsessed with your desires Danny. The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Thanks guys, those are the type of comments I was looking for.

T-bone, the Computrainer looks sweet as hell but I should have mentioned that I have a freshman in a private college that needs some tuition assistance from the wife and I so............Computrainer ain't gonna happen. Too bad for me (but good for my kids) that I don't have my fathers attitude. "College, how you gonna pay for that? Sure as hell not getting any money from me!" If that was my attitude, I'd definately be owning one of those bad boys.

Anything wrong with a magneto model? any cons?

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Slo

There's nothing wrong at all with the Mags.......Get what fits your budget. The important thing is that you put them to work for you. That's the only way any trainer is worth it's money.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

We have an OLD magnetic trainer that was my IL's.  We also have a brand new Cyclops fluid trainer.  I prefer the magnetic.  I like that the resistance is adjustable.  And I don't find it to be much noisier than the fluid one.  Though it is starting to be quirky, so we'll likely upgrade at some point to a new one, since there are now 2 of us pedaling.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Just got a Kurt Kinetic Road Machine, gonna set it up next week when I am on break. WIll get back to you guys on how it is, got it on amazon for $300 I think about a month ago.
                    Back in the saddle again after not riding for a few weeks as I was getting into putting mileage in on my runs. Second day in a row on the rollers. I'm still looking for a stationary trainer though so I can watch the Sapranos from Netflix and keep pedaling.

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

T-Bone

Puttin' on the foil

I watched all six seasons of the Sopranos last year on the bike.  One of the best done shows ever, in my opinion.

Don't be obsessed with your desires Danny. The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

I just set up my trainer last night, does anyone have the garmin cadence monitor? I thought I set it up correctly (lined everything up), but its not working with the watch. Any ideas?
                          I just set up my trainer last night, does anyone have the garmin cadence monitor? I thought I set it up correctly (lined everything up), but its not working with the watch. Any ideas?

I just borrowed my buddies Edge 305 with GSC 10 cadence/speed sensor and had to repair it to get it to work.. You need to align the spoke magnte and the crank arm magnet, then hit the reset button on the sensor. The light will flash green if it is picking up the spoke magnet and red if it senses the crank arm magnet. Once they are set correctly, tuurn on your watch and see if it automatically pairs with the GSC 10 sensor.

You may have to go into your settings > Ant+ >Accesories. Select your Accesory, selct Enabled > Yes. Scroll to view Statues and if its not paired, select Rescan. You may also be able to get it to pair if you turn to off, then turn it on again after you have enabled the GSC 10 sensor.

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I have it and it works great with my Forerunner...but the bike shop set it up.  I have no clue how they did it.  I hope I still have the instructions somewhere if I need to do anything with it.  It works fabulously, though.  Makes me really glad I got the 305, instead of the 205 2 years ago (long before I had a bike).  That wireless feature has paid for itself.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I have it and it works great with my Forerunner...but the bike shop set it up.  I have no clue how they did it.  I hope I still have the instructions somewhere if I need to do anything with it.  It works fabulously, though.  Makes me really glad I got the 305, instead of the 205 2 years ago (long before I had a bike).  That wireless feature has paid for itself.

The manual is available online at Garmin

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Thanks for the advice, got it all set up and good to go now.