Swim Bike Run

Clearwater (Read 399 times)

T-Bone

Puttin' on the foil

Is anyone doing 70.3 Worlds in Clearwater this year?  Has anyone done it in the past?  I would love to hear your experience at the race if you have.  I'm doing it for the first time on 11/14.

Don't be obsessed with your desires Danny. The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Slo

Best of luck !

Let us know how it went !

I was going to tell you earlier that you have a very impressive log. You certainly put in the training time to have a great race......I'm anxious to see how you do.

Wannabee Newbie

Have a great race!   Nice training log indeed.   Look forward to seeing your posted results.
        T-Bone

Puttin' on the foil

Thanks.  I'm really going to taper, seriously!  I don't have any delusions however.  I could PR my half distance by 10 minutes and not even break the top 20 in my AG.  We'll see how it goes.  I'll let you know.  Thanks for the positive thoughts!

Don't be obsessed with your desires Danny. The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Slo

Thanks.  I'm really going to taper, seriously!  I don't have any delusions however.  I could PR my half distance by 10 minutes and not even break the top 20 in my AG.  We'll see how it goes.  I'll let you know.  Thanks for the positive thoughts!

Your in one of largest and most competetive AG's......and participating in a must qualify to enter World Championship Ironman 70.3......I'd be pretty happy with any thing in the top half of the AG ! Actually, I'd be pretty happy just qualifying to get there.

Enjoy your hard earned race !

Two of my training buddies have done it a few times, they have talked about the heat.  I don't think it was real hot, they were just not being ready for that.

Dude, it looks like you have put in the training; have a great time!

T-Bone

Puttin' on the foil

Short race report - got to Clearwater at 2 am local time on Thursday night from PCT.  Tired.  Woke up aroung 8 and went to the beach for a pre race swim.  Ida had done a number on the Gulf.  The waves were insane.  The organizers moved the swim to the inland harbor across the street.  It was really tight and they went with a time trial start.  You walk to the end of a dock, cross a timing mat and game on. 

Total 1.2 mile swim time - 30:29.

The bike was flat and fast.  There was some drafting (which is illegal) because of the course design, number of racers on the course, and just some fucking cheating.  Whatever.  I had a solid bike.

Total 56 mile bike split - 2:12:42 (25.3 mph average).

The run was ok.  My legs did not seem to have any "pop."  There was a bridge.  You might think like I did - a bridge?  Who cares?  But it was a bridge designed to let ocean-going ships in and out of the harbor.  Probably about 10-12% grade for about a quarter mile on each side.  I was a two loop course had to run up and down that damn thing 4 times.  Could blame it on the time change, the heat or just being tired from not enough sleep.  My run time was competitive in my AG, however.  A little disappointed in the run.

Total half marathon run split - 1:27:10.

Total time 4:15:47.  137th overall (out of 1800) and 16th in my AG (out of 210).  Broke the top 100 for the amatuers.  Not bad, but not great.  Two weeks "off" then I start training for the Phoenix Marathon (goal sub 2:50).  My only goal in 2010 is to qualify for the IM WC in Kona.  First chance is at IM Coeur d' Alene in June.  In 2008 I did a 9:45:00 there.  Goal is to beat that. 

Thanks for the kids words everyone.

Congrats Tbone, awesome race
                  Slo

"Not bad but not great" -- T-bone --

Yeah, I think you need to set your standards higher

Nice friggin race ! Solid Bike indeed. You fall in the class of ANIMAL !

Enjoy your break...if thats possible. You have a solid base, great fitness and plenty of time. I have no doubt that you'll be riding doen the Queen K highway !

ironTriKev

IronMan ;)

Holy Cr@p, T-bone, awesome race!

Tri-Kev Here are my favorite links:
                      My "kick @ss" running club ;)

Swim 2.4 miles.
                      Ride 112 miles.
                      Run 26.2 miles.
                      Then brag for the rest of your life.
                      -Commander John Collins, Ironman Triathlon creator

Wow! Great race!

"solid bike", yeah.  You should be ready for Pheonix, some of my best races have come 1-2 months after a half.

Wannabee Newbie

SWEET RACE!   I am so impressed with your bike time.    Wish I could have been there to draft...........ERRRRRRR.........CHEAT off you cuz that's the only way I would ever approach 25+ MPH.    

protoplasm72

SWEET RACE!   I am so impressed with your bike time.    Wish I could have been there to draft...........ERRRRRRR.........CHEAT off you cuz that's the only way I would ever approach 25+ MPH.    

Do they let you tie a rope to his frame so he could tow me?  Otherwise I don't think I could even get going fast enough to catch his wake.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson