Swim Bike Run

Cascade Lake Sprint Tri RR (my first real one!) (Read 156 times)

pitrunner

Hi guys. I just wanted to share a little report about my first real tri (I trained for one last year but it ended up being a Du because of rough waters). I had so much fun and can't wait to do another!

Swim .31 miles, Bike 15 miles, Run 3.1 miles

Short breakdown:

Total Time- 1:48:17

Swim- 13:47

T1- 4:21 (awful!)

Bike- 1:01:33

T2- 2:40

Run- 25:58

Swim: The big debate of the morning was whether to wear a wetsuit or not. The water temp was rumored to be 71, but the air was so cold that I just went for it. Mostly everyone was wearing one so I didn't feel like a goofball or anything. I was soooo nervous before the start. The course looked much longer than I imagined and I was cold and panicky. Once the race started I got kicked and hit in the face quite a bit. Swallowed a lot of water in the first couple minutes (after a particularly hard smack to the face) which caused a small choking fit (freaked out the girl next to me!). Before I knew it though, I was rounding the 2nd buoy and coming down the home stretch. Then the 1/4 mile run up hill to the transition....

T1: Took way too much time here. Partly because I was dreading the bike and partly because I don't have it all down to a science yet.

Bike: I had heard so much talk about how hilly this race was, but after mile 9 I was wondering what all the fuss was about. Then the real hills began. The last 5 miles were pretty brutal but I really did a lot better than I thought. I guess I had psyched myself out so bad that there was no way it could've been as bad as my imagination. Most importantly - I fell in love with my bike all over again!! Can't wait to bike this week actually. Since my ankle is hurting pretty bad, I think I'll be biking a bit more over the next couple of weeks.

T2: Much better, but could still use improvement.

Run: This leg really sucked. First of all, my ankle killed me for the first half (posterior tibial tendonitis). The course went down a hill to a road where you had to run 2 laps. I hate laps!!!  Then, for the finale, you had to run back up the hill that was almost too steep to run down safely. I had nothing left at the end which almost never happens to me. Somehow, this was a new 5k pr!!

Overall I'm pretty proud of myself even though my time is pretty sucky. I think my biggest accomplishment of the day was overcoming my fear and nervousness at the beginning. If this bike course is as bad as everyone says, and I was still able to do well (not fast, but finished strong) then I think I'm up for almost anything. And one of the most important parts of the day - I fell head over heels for my bike. Everything finally clicked and I am no longer kicking myself for buying it!!

MTA: So now my question is: I think I might want to do another Tri on July 11th - it's a 1 mile swim, 27 mile bike, 5 mile run. I think I could swim 1 mile and bike 27, but haven't done so yet. Think it's too soon to try for those distances? The 5 mile run won't be a problem (unless my PTT doesn't abate by then).

Slo

Way to go !

And for your first time I don't think those times suck at all. Way to tough it out on the swim......those wave starts can be brutal......awesome job on getting thru it.

You used the word "suck" a few times.......I was relieved to see that in the end.....you got bit and are looking to do another. In answer to your question......Yes, but only you know best.

Awesome job !

pitrunner

Way to go !

And for your first time I don't think those times suck at all. Way to tough it out on the swim......those wave starts can be brutal......awesome job on getting thru it.

You used the word "suck" a few times.......I was relieved to see that in the end.....you got bit and are looking to do another. In answer to your question......Yes, but only you know best.

Awesome job !

Thank you! I use the term "suck" lightly Smile  I really am proud of myself and I have a good jumping off point to make improvements from.

Gotta TRI

Nice job! Great run time! I note that as it can be difficult to accomplish a decent run time after swimming and biking if you are not conditioned to do so ( as I'm not!) I'd say a very good first tri! congratulations.
          2010 Dec. California International Marathon 2011 Jan. Disney Marathon