Swim Bike Run

Long race report - Escape From Alcatraz 2011 (Read 259 times)

ironTriKev

IronMan ;)

I had actually forgotten that I had put in for the lottery when I got my acceptance email last January but couldn't wait to do this one. 1.5 mille swim, 18 mile bike and 8 mile run.

We flew into San Jose and made the short drive down to Aptos to stay with friends for a couple of days before and after the race.  My Wife’s friends husband, Mark, was going to swim with me in Monterey Bay on Thursday evening.  This would hopefully be a confidence booster to prepare me for the cold waters in San Francisco Bay where the average race day water temp is 55F, a far cry from the normal 75F I’m used to swimming.  Just the Sunday before I entered a 2 mile open water swim where the water tempo was 77F, just barely wetsuit legal.

Mark and I ended up swimming around the Cement Ship stuck just off the pier in Aptos which was about .3 miles, it there were strong steady waves rolling into shore that made the trip out very challenging strength wise.  The water temp was around 52F and it took me a good 100 yards to get used to it, ok I never really got used to it but I did get to where it didn’t take my breath away.  Mark told me that the SF Bay temps were generally about 5F warmer which would feel a lot better.

Suzanne and I headed up to SF on Friday to stay in our little rented apartment on Chestnut street, which was a great location, just a few blocks from the transition area and finish line.  Saturday was all about picking up my bike that I had shipped and getting my race packet for Sunday’s event.  It rained most of the morning but by afternoon, the skies began to clear, and I was getting excited.  We went to the grocery store to pick up bananas, bagels and peanut butter as well as water and some Gatorade for the race.

I woke up before the alarm on Sunday morning ready to get the race going, but reluctant for it to be over.  I’ve been anticipating this day for many months.  My plan was to enjoy the sights on all three events, swim, bike and run.  Especially the swim.  How many folks get to opportunity to see Alcatraz Island from in the water!

Setting up transition was really easy and I boarded the bus for the drive to pier 3 and the San Francisco Belle which would be our jump off boat just off Alcatraz.  We had a great ride out on the boat and everyone was having a great time chatting about how nice the weather was and how it has been challenging in the past.  Someone mentioned the water temp was right around 50F, so much for Mark’s warmer water prediction!

Soon it was time to pull on the rest of my wetsuit. The National Anthem was played and then the Pros were off.  Of course everyone went to the starboard side of the boat to see them and the boat listed quite heavily to that side.  A seaman on the boat started shouting for everyone to head to the other side and he was promptly ignored, the boat seemed to do just fine with 2000 folks on one side.

We all started making our way to the first deck for the jump into the cold SF bay waters.  Of course at this point I realized I need to pee but thought I could just do it in the water, um, right, not in that cold water! All too soon it was my turn to jump and I didn’t hesitate.  The deck height was about 10 feet and I jumped in, scissoring my legs to keep me from going under too far.  The cold instantly took my breath away and it was all I could do to swim away and give room for the folks jumping behind me.  I found it hard to get in breaths and had to alternate breast stroke with freestyle just so I could breath.  There were a few moments when I didn’t think I’d be able to do the swim.  Man I was miserable!  I then remembered that I didn’t start my watch so I started it and just tried to sigh and swim the best I could alternating breast stroke and free style.  My first sight point were the condo buildings to the east of Ft. Mason piers.  The current was so strong that  it quickly became evident that I would have to sight the next point, a stand of trees.  Then the next point, the three piers.  I was actually starting to get used to the water temperature and able to swim free style the majority of the time only pausing every once in a while to check the landmarks and ensure I was on course.  I switched my sighting to the gold dome of the Exploratorium and then sighted on the St. Francis Yacht club and knew I was getting close to getting out of the water.  My next task was to find the yellow turn boy and keep them on my right so I would make the beach.  If I missed these, I was in danger of getting caught in a strong shore current and being swept out toward the Golden Gate Bridge.  There would be boats out there to pick me up, but I wanted to make the beach.  I saw the buoys on my right and started to stroke toward the beach, just a little too late, as the next thing I knew, the buoys were on my left.  Damn I missed!  The hell with that, I was determined to make that beach landing no matter the effort it would take, so I dug in and pulled with all I had, slowly bring the buoys and beach closer.  Man it was hard work, but I could hear the crowd screaming and with each pull  the sound got louder and I felt a little stronger.  Before I knew it I could touch bottom and I stood up, Triumphant in my beach landing.  Total swim time was around 36 minutes, total distance I swam was 1.8 miles, a bit longer than the 1.5 it was supposed to take me.

I climbed the steps to the sidewalk and saw my wife was able to get a great picture!  A short job to the mini transition area where I had a hard time locating my bag with running shoes and the same bag where I would put my wetsuit, cap and goggles.  I finally found it about 4 minutes later quickly changed and began the jog to the bike coral.  I still had to pee and planned on hitting a port-o-potty at the bike corral.  Well that line was too long so I figured I’d stop at an aid station on the bike course.

Man what w pretty bike course, pretty challenging that is, it is San Francisco after all and the famed hills made the short 18 mile bike just a bit more challenging.  It was pretty uneventful but it was inspiring, not just the famous land marks but the competitors.  Unfortunately there were not proto potty’s on the bike course either, so I hoped the line back at transition would be short. Folks with prosthetics and one guy who actually was riding a fixie (single geared bike with no brakes).  There were folks with broken chains stopped mid hill and other folks that slipped their chain on hills too.  Nearing the end of the bike course there was a wounded warrior ( left leg prosthetic) who had a mechanical and was running his bike in,  keep in mind his prosthetic was not a running prosthetic at this point but his bike prosthetic, man that was inspiring.  There would be no more whining form me today!

I saw Suzanne again at my transition spot, line at the Porto potties again, so I figured I’d stop on the run course, either at an aid station or somewhere in the woods. and soon enough I was out on the run course.  This run course has it all, It was more of an adventure race and was really only missing a fire pit ( I hope the RD’s aren’t reading this)  At around 1.75 miles into the run you start the climb up a bunch of steps to the Golden Gate Bridge and towards Aid Station Two (mile 2). This was two way traffic with runners coming down as we went up so there was really no room to pass, and if anyone started to walk, everyone would have to walk, yup we were walking, I was OK with that, the scenery was just too good to care about the pace. We ran through an old Civil War era tunnel and at the ocean end, had to duck to not hit my head and once again keep an eye out for other runners. When exiting the tunnel, the view was incredible and we still had about a quarter-mile to go before passing underneath the Golden Gate Bridge.

We turned the Land's End trail where once again there was two way runner traffic. The trail is rolling and beautiful.

We wound around the trail and the historic remains of the retired US Army Base Presidio, we passed Aid Station Three (mile 3) at the highest point of elevation on the run course (300ft) and transitioned to the bike lane of the road that was short, winding and fast downhill and a nice smooth surface change.

Of course this didn’t last long and we were directed onto a trail that will bring you down to Baker Beach. When we hit the beach we found the deep sand, for a quarter mile to the turn around.  At the turn around we got to head down closer to the water and more of a packed sand for the half mile run down the beach to the Sand Ladder.

The Equinox Sand Ladder is a 400-step staircase made of sand and wooden beams and is located near mile five of the run course. I tried to use those wooden beams of the steps to push off as I climbed and also use the cables and the wooden posts of the  Sand Ladder railing to help propel myself up. Take it slow to avoid burn-out. Even the Professionals will walk up the Equinox Sand Ladder while using the cables to pull themselves up the steps. Once at the top, it is "all downhill" to the finish line at Marina Green. Well, almost "all downhill" - we still had about five to ten minutes of climbing until we  hit Aid Station five (also three) once again the highest point of the run course  for the second time.)

Following this last push uphill, we were now on your way back through the beginning of the run course passing by Aid Stations Two and One (at miles 6 and 7). It was here that I decide to open up and run at my race pace, I dialed in a 8:30 pace for the next mile and then around Criss Field I settle into a 7:15 m/.mi pace for the final mile of the course.

The finish chute and finish line are located at Marina Green next to Transition and the Fitness Festival. As I approached the finish line, I heard Suzanne in the Grand Stands and waved to her as I cross the finish line, received my finisher's medal and was able to give her a nice big kiss.  Glad it was over but sorry at the same time. I had just successfully ESCAPED from ALCATRAZ!

Tri-Kev Here are my favorite links:
    My "kick @ss" running club ;)

Swim 2.4 miles.
    Ride 112 miles.
    Run 26.2 miles.
    Then brag for the rest of your life.
    -Commander John Collins, Ironman Triathlon creator

T-Bone

Puttin' on the foil

That is a great write-up.  Very impressive.  That is one of the hardest races out there.  The ridiculous swim, the long run to T1, the very difficult bike follow by beach running and the epic sand stairs.  Nice job.

Don't be obsessed with your desires Danny. The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Congrats!  sounds like a painful and fun time.