Swim Bike Run

my head hurts (Read 335 times)

Oh Mighty Wing

I swam... and now my head hurts...

my best guess is it's because of my lungs. they are asthmatic even though we pretend they aren't. As I work them they get stronger and then I have no symptoms. But it's been a long time since I've been in a pool and don't any sort of swimming. So I'm just guessing they are swimming weak...so I'm going to keep ignoring it for another week or so and then if it's still happening I'm just going to start biking right away afterward so I can get use to biking with the headache...

sound reasonable??

I think its bc you are constantly rotating your head in each direction. Doubt its the lungs, does happen to me occassionally, but not as bad anymore. Just my 2 cents.

Oh Mighty Wing

i only rotate to each side - i'm a 4 stroke breather... but yes I was just thinking that - I also look forward which keeps my head in a position it's not use to...

really I think I'm just not in swim shape! haha

and thanks for you $0.02!!!

Haha no problem, I'm never going to be in swimming shape. Did a tri last weekend with an ocean swim, 60 degree salt water, I've never been so dizzy coming out.

Oh Mighty Wing

that makes me feel so much better! I use to be a swimmer... *sigh* oh well I'm proud of my 400m today... half way to where I need to be! haha
            T-Bone

Puttin' on the foil

Keep at it.  You lungs will get stronger.  Swimming is a hypoxic activity (you are working in a oxygen deprived state).  Don't make it worse by restricting your breathing to once every 4th stroke.  Try every other stoke and see if that helps.  I get dizzy too, especially in cold water.  I also feel light headed when I get out of the pool. I think it has something to do with blood redistributing from being horizonal to vertical.

Don't be obsessed with your desires Danny. The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

I don't know alot about swimming, but I would second the hypoxia comment. I looked up shallow water hypoxia earlier and this sounded like what the op was experiencing.

Breathing every fourth stroke also seems like a long time to be without oxygen as well as long time for the co2 to build up which is most likely causing the headache.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Oh Mighty Wing

hmm i wasn't really trying to breath every 4 it just seemed to be the rhythm i settle into... stroke, hold, exhale, exhale, stroke... i can try the every other thing though...

thanks for all the advice!!

Over the past year I've settled(w/a lot of work) into a 3-stroke rhythm.  Every two was too much, and I couldn't handle every four.  As an added benefit, my form has improved!

I would get hypoxic when I tried to go every four strokes.  I played with a 2-4-2-4 rhythm, It wasn't too bad.  You could try that.