Swim Bike Run

Wetsuit advice needed. (Read 714 times)

RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

How much would you be willing to pay for this wetsuit?  Is it a good wetsuit or is a new one just way overpriced  I am a little worried about the fitting because I am 5-7 and 145.  Should I be worried about the repaired tear and puncture hole?

http://cgi.ebay.com/AQUAMAN-GOLD-CELL-TRIATHLON-WETSUIT-NO-RESERVE_W0QQitemZ230438069803QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item35a72de62b

2011 Goals:
      Sub 19 5K (19:24 5K July 14th 2010)
      Marathon under 3:05:59 BQ (3:11:10 Indy 2010)
    protoplasm72

I wouldn't worry about the hole.  I would worry about the fit.  Have you tried this brand and size before?  I wouldn't buy one I haven't tried on without a return policy.  Even if you are within the height and weight specified it doesn't mean it will fit tightly.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

True about the fit, the bid is at $50 now. I know they have Xterra's for $100 so you have to figure out if its worth spending a little more (and the bid will go up) for a better fit and and return policy if it doesn't fit
        RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

I wouldn't worry about the hole.  I would worry about the fit.  Have you tried this brand and size before?  I wouldn't buy one I haven't tried on without a return policy.  Even if you are within the height and weight specified it doesn't mean it will fit tightly.

I know but price is a steal.  For that price it is like renting one for an event.  What about the tear? 

I fit into the size requirements but on the lower end.  I could be a small or a medium.  Do wetsuits usually run small or big?  If they run big then this may not be the way to go but if they tend to run small then this is perfect for me. 

2011 Goals:
          RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

What about this suit?  If I buy one on clearance (best deals) they have a no return policy as well.  How is a person supposed to find a good deal on a wetsuit?  We are very limited on wetsuits stores in the cincy area for good reason.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-IRONMAN-PURSUIT-Triathlon-Wetsuit-by-Aqua-Sphere_W0QQitemZ150413184561QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2305530e31

2011 Goals:
            protoplasm72

I know but price is a steal.  For that price it is like renting one for an event.  What about the tear? 

I fit into the size requirements but on the lower end.  I could be a small or a medium.  Do wetsuits usually run small or big?  If they run big then this may not be the way to go but if they tend to run small then this is perfect for me. 

The fit is usually manufacturer dependent.  You'll have to research reviews of that suit to figure out which way it runs.  Some manufacturers sizes are made for an athletic 145 pounds and some for a slightly rounder 145 pounds.  Some have shorter torsos and longer legs and others have longer torsos and short legs. 

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

Gotta TRI

http://xterrawetsuits.com/promo/?utm_source=febblast&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=voltversion1

Before going used, you may want to consider a sale on something new like this. You can also find deals on most of the tri specific web sites such as: trisports.com

triall3sports.com

or any of the wetsuit manufacturers such as aqua sphere, orca, zoot, blue seventy etc.

These places usually have decent return or exchange policies so you can obtain the right fit, and usually have a clearance page that offers some substancial deals.

Two other places would be at a triathlon event. The venues set up at events can have some great deals AND offer a place to try on gear before you purchase. OR a tri specific store would offer the same. A google search would turn up the closest store near you.

Having said all that I will say that I purchased my first suit used. It had some tears in it that I have tried to patch myself. It can be a pain in the ***. I do still wear this one but mainly for my early OW swims. 46F-55F. I bought a Blue seventy sleevless new that I ordered online and use for most of my races and warmer water swims.

2010 Dec. California International Marathon 2011 Jan. Disney Marathon
                RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

Well I purchased last years model Zoot Fusion at 50% off at our local store.  They helped me with the fit and taught me a lot about the suit.  Then I got home and found some of the sitching coming apart at the neck area and went back to them   They said that it is definatley a manufacture problem.  Most likely I will get this year's suit for the same price.  I like the color of the old one better though (yellow versus red lettering). 

Anyway, they had the sleeveless Zoot Fusion but they also had a full suit 2XU at 50% off.  I was tempted to get the 2XU but didn't think I would be able to wear it as much.  Plus the sleeveless is supposed to be a lot easier to take off.  Did I make a mistake?

2011 Goals:

Question on wet suits and buoyancy

I'm looking at buying a QR Ultrajohn sleeveless for some upcoming tri's and for OW training swims. I'm specifically looking at the QR because of my size. I'm 5'8" and range from 195 to 200 on any given day. It appears that the QR is about the only wet suit company out there that can fit a guy like me. Anyway, I'm wondering just how much buoyancy I would actually get from wearing one?

I'm not a strong swimmer and actually just started swimming at the beginning of this year. I can swim 600 yards without stopping more then just turning around at the wall. I'm looking at getting into a wet suit for some extra confidence more then any speed I would gain. As for the buoyancy, would I/you be able to tread water with little to no effort while wearing one? Could i/you float on your back while wearing one if you have difficulty doing so without one?

You see, I'm a sinker. Yes I know lots of good swimmers are sinkers, but I'm not very good. I can hold about half my lunge capacity and still sink. If I blow out my air, I can sit on the bottom of the pool without trying to stay there. I think I can make the 0.5 mile swim of my first triathlon, but I have a difficult time treading water so if I need to stop for any reason during the swim, I'll most likely get very tired trying to stay afloat and restarting. This is where the buoyancy would come into play for me.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

jdazzle

having just been through this, i think that it is a good question.  i purchased a full suit in prep for some open water swims prior to my first tri last weekend.  people were always touting the help in bouyancy, but i didn't really believe them.  once i got it on and got in the water, i felt extremely more confident in the water, and i also felt more balanced in my stroke.  i guess this tells me i have some work to do on my balance in the water...  in short, the suit made me feel like i would have to purposely try to sink so i could then focus on just moving through the water.

that being said, don't bet everything on wearing a wetsuit during your race.  the philly tri said in the pre-race meeting that it was not a wetsuit legal race because it was above 78.  you still had the option to wear it if it was below 84, but you would be placed in the last wave and have no time recorded whatsoever.  i didn't want to go through all this training and not know my time!  in the end, it didn't really matter as the water temp the next day was 85 degrees... no wetsuits for anyone.  good news is that i felt almost as balanced during the race without the suit, so i think it was just a mental crutch i was using!  just make sure you mentally prepare for such a circumstance.

good luck!

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

When I played water polo, I could tread pretty comfortably -- we had to "rest" to listen to stuff by holding our hands above water and treading -- and I was a sinker -- I'd settle between 5 feet and 10 feet underwater, I think, depending on how much I filled my lungs. So it is possible for a sinker to tread. It takes practice, I think--and definitely use eggbeater, not that silly running style that sometimes they teach (and which is not very good at all, in my opinion).

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.