Swim Bike Run

Swimming Fins and Hand paddles suggestion? (Read 376 times)

RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

Does anyone have a suggestion on fins and hand paddles?
      2011 Goals:
      Sub 19 5K (19:24 5K July 14th 2010)
      Marathon under 3:05:59 BQ (3:11:10 Indy 2010)

Gotta TRI

Great training aids. I have a pair of Zoomers for fins but have not picked up my own paddles yet.

I also use a kickboard for drills as well like this one:

A great source for these things is: www.swimoutlet.com

2010 Dec. California International Marathon 2011 Jan. Disney Marathon
      RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

Why do you have to KICK a man down by bringing up the kick board!  You know I suck with that thing.  The kick board and I are not friends.  However, I have decided that I don't need to kick anyway so that I can save energy for the Bike and Run.
          2011 Goals:

I use the red Tyr Mentor hand paddles, they seem to work pretty well; and I get them at a great price.  I do have to replace the right one at least once a year, due to grabbing the wall in the pool.

My five year old son loves to race me with the kickboards, it's all I can do to beat him across the pool.  Only a matter of time....

RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

I don't do a flip turn so I am finding it is hard to use the stiff paddles.   I am using a set that are soft so that I can grab the wall but I think they are more for aquatic fitness and not to help with resistance for swimming.  Any suggestions on something that would help or how to do the flip turn.  Whenever I try the flip turn my head feels like it is going to explode.  It is not that I can't do that but that it makes me feel really bad.  Anyone know what that might be.  Am I doing something wrong?
              2011 Goals:
            T-Bone

Puttin' on the foil

Does anyone have a suggestion on fins and hand paddles?

Yes - don't use them.  Maybe a pull buoy, but I stay away from other pool equipment.

For a discussion on flip turn, go here.

Don't be obsessed with your desires Danny. The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

ironTriKev

IronMan ;)

Yes - don't use them.  Maybe a pull buoy, but I stay away from other pool equipment.

For a discussion on flip turn, go here.

So why not use them, I do, albeit sparingly, I think the paddles are great for feeling hand position at the catch and help to build a little muscular strength, while the fins are great fro drills especially kicking on your side and one armed swimming.

Tri-Kev Here are my favorite links:
                My "kick @ss" running club ;)

Swim 2.4 miles.
                Ride 112 miles.
                Run 26.2 miles.
                Then brag for the rest of your life.
                -Commander John Collins, Ironman Triathlon creator