Swim Bike Run

Triathlon seems to have cured my knee pain. (Read 316 times)

Wannabee Newbie

My first season doing Triathlon and I really like it.   Just turned 40 this summer.   My old sport was basketball and just have too many ankle and knee problems.      Been bringing my running along very slowly as it used to hurt my knee just to run.   I wear a sleeve and have trained all summer and done two Olympic races without knee pain.

I just competed in the Mission Viejo Orange County CA Olympic Triathlon on September 23rd.   The swim was announced to have no wet suit due to heat wave and lake temp at 80.  

My group was wave 6 which was last......I found this to be very fun as there were approximately 900 participants and I finished 286th it was motivating to be doing alot of passing. 

I can actually swim faster as this is my strength.   Could have done 25 Minutes if I pushed myself....but my strategy for this race was to come out of water in a solid time and save myself.   I did this and finished swim feeling like I paced well, swam hard, but did not extend myself.

The bike was hilly and I do believe it was my best bike ride I have ever had.   I was absolutely thrilled with my result as it was a full 12 minutes faster than my last race.

The run was brutal.   I was pacing 7:20 about halfway thru (mostly flat) and then we hit MASSIVE HILLS.   I mean huge.  I trained hills and it was fine...but I didn't see anyone that could actually run them.    I think that I ended race around 8:38 pace.   

Results for this newbie 1st year racer

1.5K Swim = 28:01 (ranked 28th of 66)

T1 = 2:10 (ranked 17 of 66

40K Bike = 1:12:33 (ranked 27th of 66).

T2 = 2:00 (ranked 34 of 66)

10K Run = 53:36 (ranked 32 of 66)

Total = 2:38:20 (ranked 26 of 66)

Happy to get in top half in all 3 elements.

NEXT GOAL is Top 1/3.    It would help if I didn't travel so much.   In past weeks I have had to travel to Porltand, Minneapolis, Hong Kong, Chicago, Dallas, and Arkansas.   Kind of tough to train with all that flight time.

One curious question....has anyone come down with bad cold after a race?    After race...I rested 2 days......got a cold on third day......missed 3 days of work......had to fly to trade show and work.    I finally got in a workout this Saturday but feel like I have lost my momentum.    Have another event on November 8th in Parker Arizona.

Bill

Slo

Hey Bill

Nice report, thanks for posting it.

And a job well done ! Looks like you were trained and ready ! Pretty damn consistant with your placing. I'm assuming that was Age group placing.

As far as the cold.....a couple of things to keep in mind.

1) After an all out race your immune system is comprimised making you suscepitble to illness.

2) Don't rule out what you may have encountered in the lake water. Not uncommon to have some GI issuses for a day or two after drinking lake water.

You should be well recovered and race ready by the 9th of Nov. Good Luck !

ironTriKev

IronMan ;)

Solid race,  as Slo-Hand mentioned, when you race an event that is over two hours it is easy to have an imune system that is partially compromised, especially with all the traveling you do you probably encounter more germs that hte average guy. 

Rest up and you'll be ready for your next event!

Tri-Kev Here are my favorite links:
        My "kick @ss" running club ;)

Swim 2.4 miles.
        Ride 112 miles.
        Run 26.2 miles.
        Then brag for the rest of your life.
        -Commander John Collins, Ironman Triathlon creator

Wannabee Newbie

Thanks...I was curious about the getting a cold thing.    I figured it might be due to weak immune system after a hard race.    Just wondered if others out there ever experienced same thing.

Yes that was age group.   66 Males 40-44.    

Finally feeling better.   Biked 34 Miles Saturday.   Traveling again today and in Arkansas....finally went out this morning and ran 3.5 miles.   Felt good for first time in 2 weeks.  

OK...3 weeks left to train.   Should be no problem.

anyone out there also doing the Parker Arizona Triathlon?

Me and my gang in Breck

Very nice report! Thanks for sharing it.  

I have got sick once after a race. Two days after the Boston marathon this year I came down with a fever and the chills and I missed 2 days of work. I think that the problem was that I didn't rest the day after the race. I went back to work the day after the marathon and a day later I just crashed. 

That which does not kill us makes us stronger. Neitzsche "Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go." "Dedication and commitment are what transfer dreams into reality."

brixton

Hi simonsaiztrain,

just to empathise with your triathlon cured knee..

I am a 47 year old runner (running since age 12! ); I started doing triathlons because cross training(swim and bike) just had to be more healthy for me than running alone .. I had a couple of years of minor running issues.. plantars facititis, sore achilles, hamstring and calf pain!!! etc

just finished my first tri season (2 sprints) and last week did my fastest 10K in YEARS!!

totally hooked on tris now .. so much so I have registered for a 70.3 in August 2010...

crazy but I'm excited to see what I can do now...  Wink

brixton
              Slo

70.3 is a great distance !

I didn't get any in this year.......Good luck !

Wannabee Newbie

Great news Brixton.   This was my first Tri season and also want to do a 70.3

Just one year ago I couldn't even run 3 miles without having to stop.     I am not 100% sure why but my knee pain has not resurfaced even one time during my training this Spring Summer.    I started off with a mini sprint, then an actual sprint with a 5K running finish, then 2 olympic Tris........and have 1 oly left.    No pain..

I believe it's due to my running strategy.   I have brought myself along VERY SLOW.     I also don't overrun as I am still afraid.   If you look at my training log you can see that I have very deliberately brought my running distance per month along at low levels and then steadily increasing them.  

I also wear a sleeve, use ice, and do alot of stretches.      Every time I go running I am afraid the pain will return.  

My cycle friends tell me the cycling has alot to do with it as well.   

Whatever the reason I am thrilled to have no pain finally.