Swim Bike Run

Man, I feel like I was hit by a car (Read 255 times)

Oh wait, I was.

I went for what would have turned into the fastest ride of my life (high speed on way out into headwind and was just starting to reap the benefits of the tailwind) when...the ride abruptly ended. I was on the shoulder of PCH in Malibu, which should be a very bike friendly place, but sometimes is not. I'm a bit fuzzy on the details, but someone was crossing the double yellow line to do a U-turn and went wide into the shoulder. He didn't t-bone me, it was more of a side by side type collision. However, I had no idea he was coming because he was hidden by other traffic, which, I suppose, is why he didn't see me. In fact, he didn't even know I was there until his wife told him as he was driving away. I hit the car, couldn't get out of my clips, fell on my left side and snapped my head on the ground. It all happened pretty quick, so the only thing I really am clear on is that I definitely snapped my head (guy in car behind me said the same thing). It took me a bit to get up, then I walked to the side walk, sat down, and then eventually got up to go to the hospital.

Anyway, spent 5 hours in the ER, but every thing checked out ok. I'm either really unlucky or REALLY REALLY lucky. I'm sticking with the latter. If he'd made his turn a fraction of a second later, he would have hit me perfectly perpendicularly, which would not have been fun. I've got a lot of scrapes, though I think, as road rash goes, they aren't bad. My shoulder hurts, but isn't broken. My headache has been replaced by a very sore neck. 

So, looking for some words of advice on what to do now. Do I need to file a police report? The hospital wasn't clear on that. Do I just tell my health insurance the guy's car insurance policy number? Do I just tell the guy this is how much it is going to cost to fix/replace (TBD) my bike, helmet and possibly garmin (it looks like it was slammed into the pavement) and give him the opportunity to avoid the police report? I don't really have any desire to screw this guy, but I also don't want to pay for my broken bike.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

FILE THE REPORT!  Why do you not want to "screw" this guy?  He caused you and your bike injury.  You shouldn't have to pay for his mistake.  That's not screwing the guy, that is holding him responsible for his poor judgement and driving skills.  This is why drivers have insurance.

If you don't file the report and he decides he doesn't want to pay, you don't have any recourse.  And if you develop later health issues as a result of the accident you will end up the one who pays for any treatment.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

FILE THE REPORT!  Why do you not want to "screw" this guy?  He caused you and your bike injury.  You shouldn't have to pay for his mistake.  That's not screwing the guy, that is holding him responsible for his poor judgement and driving skills.  This is why drivers have insurance.

If you don't file the report and he decides he doesn't want to pay, you don't have any recourse.  And if you develop later health issues as a result of the accident you will end up the one who pays for any treatment.

Ditto!  without a report, he can just deny to his insurance that anything happened...

Favorite quote: Stop your crying you little girl! 2011: Mt Washington, Washington Trails, Peaks Island, Pikes Peak.
        T-Bone

Puttin' on the foil

File a police report.  I am taking it that the police did not come to the scene.  You were the favored driver and this guy (as nice as he might be) violated your right of way, causing the accident and your injuries.  I hope you got his information.  If you did, call his insurance company and make a claim. They will then investigate and pay if they find liability.

Don't be obsessed with your desires Danny. The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

T-Bone

Puttin' on the foil

You should also take you effed up gear to your local bike shop for an estimate of the damage in $$.  The medical bills are what they are.  Message me if you have any questions.

Don't be obsessed with your desires Danny. The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

You should also take you effed up gear to your local bike shop for an estimate of the damage in $$.  The medical bills are what they are.  Message me if you have any questions.

Thanks for all the advice. I will be filing a report. I called my insurance company (auto) just to see how one handles this, and they will file a claim with the driver's insurance company (I did get his information) on my behalf. The police did not come to the scene-I was pretty out of it at the time and wasn't really thinking. There was a witness, whose information I got-he was really doing the thinking for me and he just said go to the hospital.

I am going to the bike shop tomorrow to get an estimate on damage.

Wow, glad your ok and everything checked out at the ER and hope your not too sore when you wake up today. Very scary stuff. Hope you recover quick.

Sorry to hear this RR, but I'm glad you can still walk away.

The first thing you or the witness should have done was call the police and report the accident. Your definately not "screwing the guy" by doing that, you are protecting yourself and your property.

That guy should have been sited for a traffic violation, not sure if the police can still do that. I would also go back to the scene and start taking pictures. Get pics of your damaged bike and accessories as well as your scrapes and bruises.

The insurance companies, from my experience, are in the business to collect premiums and don't like to pay out claims. You could have a fight on your hands, but lets hope they just belly up and pay out what is owned to you.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Slo

First off.....Thankfully your Fine....or so it appears. Keep an eye on that shoulder.

You already got the advice about filing the report. Were the police not called at all ? Did the guy know you went to the hospital ? And how did you get to the hospital ?

Chances are your health insurance company will question the charges and want to know if it was related to an accident. If they suspect the other party is liable they will go after his insurance......If they don't inquire....tell them. They've got the lawyers and they work for you.

And if T-bone is offering free advise......I'd take that too.

Finally, I hope everyone sees the importance of wearing a helmet.

protoplasm72

Scary stuff.  Glad you are ok.  Take some time off and heal up before you start training again.  I don't really have any legal advice to add.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson