Swim Bike Run

Training for HM and Sprint Tri's (Read 311 times)

jdazzle

Quick question for everyone:  I've got two more sprint tri's lined up this summer, one at the end of July and one at the end of August.  I've also got a half marathon planned for the third week in September.  I've got my plan for the sprint tri's, but I was trying to figure out how to get the miles in for the HM.  Do I just plug in the miles during my run training during the week as if I was only running? 

The plan I'm using for the HM has me running 4 days/week, then moves up to 5.  I am planning on integrating an easy run day, a tempo/interval day, and a long run per week in addition to one brick per week.  I also have 3-4 swims per week, an easy bike day, and a long bike day.  Does this make sense, or am I missing something?  Does the easy bike day substitute for an easy run day?  Thanks!

Slo

jd

Given your current volume I would'nt worry to much about about tempo's, intervals easy days, hard days........

How old are you ? How much time can you dedicate to training ?

Simply put.....put as much time into training as you can. If you were to list your most important goal would it be one of the Sprints or the Half Marathon? This is going to help answer where to spend your time.

There's not much history in your log to make a comment on your overall base.

My short answer is.....there is some time to better perpare for your August Sprint......July is pretty much written in stone....the training is done. The Half in September is open to some decent gains in performance thru training.

The bike will help your run but 1 hour of biking is not equiv to 1 hour of running. I'd drop the tempo's or maybe just do them every other week and concentrate on spending more time training. Bricks are a great way......not many people talk about reverse bricks but to go out and do a 30 min run followed by an hour on the bike is a great way of maximizing your training time. Especially if you haven't worked up to running for more than 90 minutes.

My two cents-

figure out which is more important. If you're not too concerned about the tri, stick with your plan except subtract a swim (or two) and add a bike (which will help your run more than the swim). Either way, I wouldn't do 4 swims since it is a) shortest leg of a tri and b) least helpful to your HM.

jdazzle

thanks for the replies.  as far as priorities go, this is still my first season with tri's, so i'm just trying to figure things out at this point!  the 4 swims/week are based upon the fact that i am *really* slow in the water and the philly sprint tri distance was 900m.  the others i have lined up are only around 500m, so i understand the point about not much being gained with that short of a distance.  where i really slowed down was in my run, but i only have one race to look back on.  i'm hoping the bricks help out with that piece.

i'm really trying to break 2 hours with the HM, but that would be on an absolutely perfect day.  this was the reason for the tempos and mile repeats i have planned.  i can go the distance, i just can't do it with the speed i want to at this point...  this is the 3rd HM i'll be doing and i was on track for a PR last april but tweaked a muscle in my leg at mile 10.75...  but if i don't get it this time i'll have another shot in november!

as for age, i'm 31 and if i stay on it, i can reasonably spend 10 hours/week training.  i know that 1 hour biking doesn't equal 1 hour running, but i was thinking that it could come close to replacing the cardiovascular benefits of around :30 min running.  i'm focusing on making my long rides in the 1.5 - 2 hour range and my long runs in the 2 - 2.5 hour range.  i do know that if i don't do any speed work i won't be able to really feel comfortable at my planned race pace. 

Oh Mighty Wing

my sense is that more time spent on your feet would be far more beneficial than speed work.

I don't know much about tri's but I assume the running training principles haven't changed.

Slo

jd

The perception that you have to train at a fast pace in order to get fast is such a misconception. I don't know if you spend anytime in the regular forum area but this matter is always being disscused in great length.

A big base....lots of miles/time is what will give you speed.

This isn't correct physiology but if you think of it like this:

You can already go run fast right ? You can break out into a sprint and fly....the problem is....how long can you maintain that. It's really by improving your endurance that allows you to run longer at faster paces. Once you have that base built you can start working on your economy. Again, this isn't allowing you to run faster...it's allowing you to go farther in less time.

Given your current volume.....tempo's could benefit you....but they could also leave you a little trashed or tired a day or two later stealing precious training time from you. I would not eliminate them and once per week isn't much but I think you would benefit more if you could spend more time at an easier pace. 10hrs/week is a great training volume....quite alot actually. You'll get HUGE benefits if you hit that.

And given your age you can handle a fair amount of quality workouts......like I said, if you hit that 10 hrs per week you'll say bye bye to that 2hr HM goal and hello 1:30 !

jdazzle

i am definitely a big proponent of running easy to increase aerobic capability.  i've spent a good portion of this year building my base using the maf heart rate ideology, but have reached a plateau, hence the introduction of speedwork into my weekly training.  once i started racing this season, i noticed that my times decreased for the 5k (multiple pr's in multiple weeks), but the first one threw me for a loop because i hadn't been working on my anaerobic system at all!  this got me to a point where i was out of breath but knew that i had more in the tank.

i'm hoping the 10 hours per week helps, and i'd say that ~92% is all easy, aerobic miles.  the rest is just to get my body better at utilizing oxygen.  and as far as being trashed or tired the next day, i've found that if i use that day as a swim or cycle day it is far easier for recovery.  most of the time it's a question of motivation...