Swim Bike Run

RR Culpepper Sprint (Read 231 times)

ironTriKev

IronMan ;)

So Friday I'm riding my Tri bike to make sure that all systems are go, just doing an easy 16, having brakfast with friends and riding back 16, but I wreck about 6 miles into the ride.  Bike seems ok, hip is really sore and my elbow is very swollen.

Saturday I decide to run an easy three to see how my hip feels (elbow is still swollen but not as much) and things go ok.

Sat afternoon we drive to the race site and do packet pickup, my DS (14 ) is also doing this race.

Wow what a fun day!  Warm lake temps so no wetsuits, a bit of rain on the bike and the run and it poured for the awards ceremony which we had to stay for because DS took 3rd in his AG!! He really rocked the course.  He managed to cross the line ahead of me for the first time in a tri.  Well, he did have a 12 minute head start, and I did edge him out by a few minutes on total time but I couldn't catch the bugger.   I am so very proud of how far he has come.  I guess cross country camp last week lit a fire

I had a good day, no wrecks, did have a wheel rubbing issue (probably from the wreck) and I had some shifting issues trying to get into my highest gear, but nothing too bad, the well rubbing cost me 2-3 minutes in the first mile of the bike as I had to stop twice to try and get it centered, but other than that it was a good day.  Hard course, very hilly.

I ended up 8/47 in my AG and 75/362 overall/men.

Susan Williams, bronze medalist from the 2004 (?) Athens olympics was there and she kicked all the woman's butts, it was great to see her charging down the course as I was running up the first hill.

My new Garmin 310xt worked very well, so for the first time I was able to track each leg of a triathlon, including the swim and my total time matches what is in the unofficial results, 1:31:13, don't know the AG placement but I ended up 83 out of a possible 700 who signed up.  I do know that not everyone showed though.  No HR data, the signal just doesn't go through water but I did get to see my zig-zag swim on a map

Tri-Kev Here are my favorite links:
    My "kick @ss" running club ;)

Swim 2.4 miles.
    Ride 112 miles.
    Run 26.2 miles.
    Then brag for the rest of your life.
    -Commander John Collins, Ironman Triathlon creator

Great race and glad to hear your ok after the fall.

How is the garmin 310? I'm waiting for mine in the mail and can't really take it anymore. Did you leave it on your wrist the whole time or put it on the bike? And I know you didn;t race with a wetsuit, but I'm wondering if it is easy to take off the wetsuit with it on your wrist.

ironTriKev

IronMan ;)

Bash, I love the 310. I left it on my wrist the whole time so I didn't have to worry about the time it took to transfer from wrist to bike and back to wrist.  I don't know how the quick release system works (no pictures on Garmin's site) for this one but I would trust swimming with it if it is anything like the system for the 305, I'd be afraid it would pop out and sink.  I think the 310 will be a little difficult with a wet suit but the strap is fairly easy to undo.

Tri-Kev Here are my favorite links:
        My "kick @ss" running club ;)

Swim 2.4 miles.
        Ride 112 miles.
        Run 26.2 miles.
        Then brag for the rest of your life.
        -Commander John Collins, Ironman Triathlon creator

I got the quick release system from amazon for my 305 and really like it, but its not efficient and I know I lost some time with it. I left the face of the watch on my bike and the wrist strap on my bike. While pedaling I couldn't get the wrist strap on my bike. So I then decided to do it during transition. I didn't lose that much time putting it on my wrist during transition, I lost time when I thought I had clicked the watch in to my wrist strap and it fell out so I had to run back and grab it. Oh well, learning experience.

I can't wait for my 310 to come in though.

Great job on your race and congratulations to your son!  That's awesome.

I'm jealous of the 310, I just bought the 305 last year and I can't justify another purchase yet.  So awesome that you can see the swim, etc.

Ginny 'Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there' Will Rogers