Swim Bike Run

Cars (Read 362 times)

Got taken out by one last night while riding home from work. So I work about 4 miles from home and it has a lot of traffic. It takes about 15 min to ride or 30+ min. to drive. Was riding with traffic when 2 cars to the left of me in each lane was letting a car turn on the street that I was about to cross. I didn't see him until it was to late and he hit the side of me. I went flying. Luckily I was riding my old road bike and that was fine once I got the tire and chain back on and I was fine minus 2 scraped elbows (my left one way more than my right one). He got out of te car right away and felt really bad. I checked myself and surprisingly I was fine minus the scrapes and my bike was fine. We didn't exchange numbers, he offered, but I felt like there was no need to as I didn't need medical assistance and my bike was fine. Someone today or actually a few people said I could have made some $$$ from it. I thought that was very lame. He felt bad about it and I was fine for the most part. I woke up today pretty sore, but nothing broken. Back, hips, and shoulders are all sore but not terribly sore. So my question is, has anyone else gotten hit? What do you do in that situation? It was clearly his fault which was funny bc if you had asked me before it happened I would have said it would have been my fault. Luckily I'm ok and do have a Sprint Tri this weekend that I'm still going to do.
    Slo

Thank God your fine !

Outside of the last month, for reasons beyond my control, I commute most everyday and I always say it's not if I get hit...it's when.

Again.....I am really glad to hear your fine.....I probably would have done the same thing, dusted myself off, accepted his apology and went on my way praising the Lord for giving me a Gaurdian Angel.

One thing to keep in mind.....because of the effects of adrelian it is quite possible to have a serious injury and not know it. Always get a name and address!

Goos luck with your Tri !

T-Bone

Puttin' on the foil

First - I'm glad you are ok and I'm glad your bike is ok.  Way to "man up" and still race this weekend.  How about those Tour de France bad asses that crash, get up all bloody and broken and finish.  Amazing.

Second - Here's the rest of the story.  Disclaimer - I am a lawyer.  You should have gotten his number.  Despite what you thought at the time, you could have sustained a serious injury.  You were injured in fact (sore, bloody elbows, etc.)  Usually this type of an accident requires and accident report to be filled out by law.  In some states, an injury accident requires the participant to call the police from the scene. In accidents like this, it is not uncommon for people to feel ok at the time because of the excitement of the event, only to later learn there is a broken bone or some type of muscle or nerve injury.  It can take days for something like that to become evident.  ALWAYS GET A PHONE NUMBER, DRIVER'S LICENCE NUMBER AND INSURANCE INFORMATION.  ALWAYS.

Also, based on what you said about the accident, it was the other guy's fault.  You were the favored driver because you had the right of way.  He was the disfavored driver because he was crossing your lane of travel and therefore he had to yeild to you.  It was his fault.

Based on the description, I doubt you case would have much value, but if you would have been injured, it might be a different story.  If you had been riding a 5k carbon fiber bike, different story.

Everyone reading this please be careful and always get the phone number and id. of anyone who causes you to go down on a bike.  I have a friend who was hit last week and the driver tried to drive away.  He pulled out his Iphone and snapped a picture of the guy's license plate.  The guy was cited for causing the accident and was cited for hit and run.  He's going to have to pay (or his insurance) for a new bike for my friend and for all of his hospital bills (x-rays were all negative).

Don't be obsessed with your desires Danny. The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

The voice of mile 18

glad you and your ride are ok

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Everyone reading this please be careful and always get the phone number and id. of anyone who causes you to go down on a bike.  I have a friend who was hit last week and the driver tried to drive away.  He pulled out his Iphone and snapped a picture of the guy's license plate.  The guy was cited for causing the accident and was cited for hit and run.  He's going to have to pay (or his insurance) for a new bike for my friend and for all of his hospital bills (x-rays were all negative).

This isn't the first hit-and-run story I've read...wow, such low lifes.  And a stupid thing to do now that everyone has cell phones with cameras.

Bash, glad you are OK.  Take care of yourself and get to the doctor if anything develops after the fact.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Thanks for all the responses and well wishes, def learned my lesson and will get info if it ever happens again. Hopefully it won't.
              xhristopher

I went over the hood of a car once on the way to work as it pulled out from a side street. I did a somersault and landed on my feet and my bike was barely scuffed. The driver nearly had a heart attack and wanted to give info. I was so dazed I didn't take it. When I got to work EVERYBODY gave me lots of grief for not taking it. It took a while to shake out what parts of me were bumped and what weren't. In the end all was well but, in retrospect, immediately after the incident I wasn't in the best state to have made that decision. Therefore, I guess we should premeditate getting it in these situations.

It could be worse. Last month I was on a group ride just coming back from being taken out earlier in the spring by a SUV in Wakefield right where we ran less than 60 seconds into our 5K Sunday. After hitting him, the woman stopped just long enough to yell at him. This gave the people hanging out at the lunch/taco truck enough time to get her license plate number. He went to the ER and the police arrested her at her home in front of her kids with a hit and run and other things...

I commute often with the bike and these things concern me. Sometimes I think of all the crazy things I need to think about to stay safe. Things people don't think about like being wary of zip car drivers. They don't know where they are going. That's just the tip of the iceberg.

Ride safe and good luck on the Tri!

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

It could be worse. Last month I was on a group ride just coming back from being taken out earlier in the spring by a SUV in Wakefield right where we ran less than 60 seconds into our 5K Sunday. After hitting him, the woman stopped just long enough to yell at him. This gave the people hanging out at the lunch/taco truck enough time to get her license plate number. He went to the ER and the police arrested her at her home in front of her kids with a hit and run and other things...

I just read this to DH and he said "yes." Big grin

~ Sarah Kay

xhristopher

I reread my post and intended to say I was on a group ride with a guy who was just coming back from being taken out earlier in the spring. He didn't get hit on our ride. He was hit a week before a century he had been training much of the winter and spring for.

What a week. Well on top of the whole car incident, my garmin 305 died Thursday. Luckily, my bday is next month and I got the 310xt as an early gift. Also, got an email from the race director saying wetsuits would probably not be allowed since the water temperatures were up to 80 degrees. I have never swam in the open water without a wetsuit so was not looking forward to it. Decided to go to the pond that I usually swim in and just swim a little to get a feel for it the day before the tri. Almost pulled out of the race as my right shoulder is/was still a little sore and on top of all the other crap that happened last week. My girlfriend was also in it so I was going either way, I figured I would wake up Sunday and see how I felt.

Woke up Sunday feeling ok so decided I would give it a shot. Was more worried about the wetsuit than anything else. The swim was not that bad for me physically, but as I later learned I was very slow. I have worked hard on it over the past year but this was my slowest swim in a .3 mile race ever. Came out of the water in 13:34 (203rd place). Looking back on it, I swam way to conservatively. Not really sure how to push myself without the wetsuit messed with my head. I went from wanting to be in the 10 minute range (had swam .3 in 11:10 a month ago) to just wanting to survive it and finish.

T1 went very well, found my stuff really quick and went out. Kept the shoes on the bike so literally ran to my bike, put on my sunglasses and helmet and I was off. My T1 time was tied for the fastest in the race at 30 seconds.

The bike went pretty good also. It was a 12.5 mile course with one really big climb at mile 5ish. Wanted to average 20mph for the race, but finished in 19.75 mph average. Total time was 37:59 for 11th.

T2 also went very well. Left the shoes on the bike and got off the bike ok and was a little disheveled on where my stuff was (so much harder to find it without the bike there).  58 seconds was my T2 time, not as good as T1 but I'll take it.

The run (strongest of the 3) was a nice out and back flat course. Ran the same 5k course last year in 19:46 so wanted to go sub 19 this time. Passed a few people early on and then saw someone way in front but could not catch him. Finished the run in 19:03 which was 4th overall.

I ended up with a total time of 1:12:02 and winning my age group and 13th OA and 9th male (those girls can really swim, got passed by a few the wave after me). I'm pretty happy with the results (minus the swim) considering the week I had. But now back to the drawing board, going to try and swim everyday. I need to get better in the water and even practice open water swims without the wetsuit. Have an Olympic in 2 weeks and then a 1/2 Ironman in about 5 weeks so should be interesting to see what happens with the water and temps in that time.

T-Bone

Puttin' on the foil

Great job. Careful swimming every day, watch your shoulders.  You might want to look into adding some quality to your swims by joining a masters swim program at a local "Y" or a local club.  You'll get to swim with good swimmers and there is usually a coach on deck to give pointers.  Way to go on the AG win the same week you got hit by a car. Epic.

Don't be obsessed with your desires Danny. The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Way to go on the AG win the same week you got hit by a car. Epic.

No kidding...wow.  And you don't consider yourself a strong swimmer and you still got that AG win?!  Damn!  Nice job! Big grin

~ Sarah Kay

protoplasm72

I went flying. Luckily I was riding my old road bike and that was fine once I got the tire and chain back on and I was fine minus 2 scraped elbows (my left one way more than my right one).

That's a real triathlete.  Give the status of your bike first then list your injuries.  

Glad your bike is ok and your injuries were not seriuos.  Good job in the race.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

Great job. Careful swimming every day, watch your shoulders.  You might want to look into adding some quality to your swims by joining a masters swim program at a local "Y" or a local club.  You'll get to swim with good swimmers and there is usually a coach on deck to give pointers.

Thanks for the input. I just joined a new gym the other day at a college and it has a nice big pool. Saw some signs for lessons and probably going to sign up for some. On a positive note, decided to do my open water swim yesterday without the wetsuit and it went well, made it .50 mile across the pond and .50 mile back. Gives me hope for the Olympic I have in 2 weeks and 1/2 IM I have in 5 that I can do it with or without the wetsuit.