Swim Bike Run

Race report-National Marathon To Finish Breast Cancer (Read 295 times)

Well I ran my first marathon on 2/21 in Jacksonville Fla.  26.2 with Donna, the National Marathon To Finish Breast Cancer.

I have never ran a better supported race!  There were water stops EVERY mile, aid stations about every five, GU every three, ActiveWater every other water stop.  That is my only complaint, no Gatoraid, Poweraid, etc.  I stuck to plain water, and had no issues.

The crowd was great, I underestimated how much having your name on your bib could help.  I never went more than a few minutes without someone yelling my name.

The course was beautiful, it wound through Jacksonville, only one spot on the course stuck out as being a long straightaway.  It wasn't as flat as I was afraid it would be, more gentle rollers for much of the race.  Just after mile five the course hit the beach for over two miles!  Other runners said that the sand was looser than its been the last two years;  it was tough, but all the training on ice and snow prepared me for poor footing.

OK, my race:  I went out conservatively, ran my first two miles pretty easily, then began to pick it up.  When the race turned onto the sand, I was able to shorten my stride and keep the same cadence going, even though it was a bit slower.  Soon after leaving the beach, I caught up to another runner.  We chatted, and I found out this was his 61st marathon.  As this was my first, I stayed with him for 3-4 miles.  Gradually I pulled away from him, trying to stay relaxed the whole time.  During the entire race, I would catch myself running too hard, getting tense; and would make myself look around, yell to or high-five kids along the course, whatever it took to stay relaxed.  I went through the half in 1:29, a PR(I don't race much now-days).

The second half of the race, I started to pick off Elites having a bad day, always a boost!  For much of the teens I just settled into a rhythm, the miles kinda flew by.  Around mile 22, there was a highway ramp and a bridge, got a wicked side stitch at 23.  Trying to get rid of that sucker slowed me down for a while, but it finally eased up.  I crested the bridge and was able to finish strong, in 2:57.  That gave me a 1:28 for the second half, negative split; and a new 1/2 PR!  I am inordinately happy with getting three PRs in three hours.

The reason I ran this particular race is my wife, who is still undergoing treatment for her cancer.  Jane ran 21 miles of the marathon before almost passing out, a couple of spectators had to catch her as she fell.  She was on pace to be the first Survivor, despite still being in treatment!  She's fine now, but it scared the crap out of me at the time!

So:  well organized, supported, and planned.  LOTS of pink.  Beautiful course, not too flat, has a tough sandy section.  Great spectators.  I would definitely do this one again.

I almost forgot; I saw Joan Benoit-Samulson, Hal Higdon, and Jeff Galloway at the expo; I also spent 15 minutes talking to Bill Rogers.  Very cool.
      galberras

fear the Col Sanders

Awesome race.  Thanks for the report.  One day I will also run that marathon... for my Mum.

Congrats.  Hope all works out well with that nasty cancer stuff.

Just because I look dumb doesn't mean I'm not...