Swim Bike Run

Columbia Triathlon Race Report (Read 181 times)

ironTriKev

IronMan ;)

I am back from the Columbia Triathlon (1.5K Swim, 41K bike, 10K Run) Let me say that was quite an event. We were up at 3:15 and out of the house by 3:30, record time for us Wink Chilly morning but there was great excitement in the air. This race had some huge caliber pros in the pro field, Chrissie Wellington a 2 time Ironman Champion was there and for the women and Chris Lieto, Richie Cunningham for the men along with many other rock starts of the triathlon world. It was inspiring to be on the same course with those athletes. Temps were a chilly 54F but the water was a warm 70F. The swim was pretty uneventful, I did take a couple shots to the head by my fellow athletes but no real bell ringers. I swam the .9 miles in 27 minutes, just a tad slow but pretty OK. The bike was really hilly, probably the hilliest triathlon bike course I've ridden. It poured ran for the first few miles and I got a little chill but then the rain stopped and i warmed right up. This course was so hilly that my bike computer reported speed ranging from 8 mph (up h8ill) to 40 mph (down of course Wink ). I had one mishap with a dropped chain on a giant hill that really cost me time. DW was officiating and saw me struggle to get momentum back up the hill and thought I was having a really bad day, until I cruised past her motorcycle at around 35 mph (breaking the law but no triathlon rules Wink ) If the bike was hilly the run was even more hilly, I loved it. Hill after hill after hill, ran around a beautiful lake and then into a neighborhood and returned to finish at the lake. This run course was sick with hills. Not as bad as the Savageman half marathon I ran but a close second. The finish was simply awesome, slight down hill so I gut my pace to 5:50 m/mi for the final .2 miles and really cooked it in. And at the finish line, handing out medals, Chrissy Wellington, super pro athlete, nice touch, she ended up in 5th place overall (that is how good this field was) but missed her award ceremony as she was still down at the finish greeting runners and handing out medals, now that is a class act! My total time (by my watch was 2:45Tight lippedx not a bad day, but I really lost time on the bike Blush

Tri-Kev Here are my favorite links:
    My "kick @ss" running club ;)

Swim 2.4 miles.
    Ride 112 miles.
    Run 26.2 miles.
    Then brag for the rest of your life.
    -Commander John Collins, Ironman Triathlon creator

db7

Great race Kev! Sounds like a tough course. Heck of a run there. Wellington is a class act. Thats awsome that she would hand out medals to finishers. I would have been tempted to give her a smooch! DB

Tougher than most, dumber than the rest. "You can not count the miles until you feel them" TVZ

ironTriKev

IronMan ;)

Brad, thanks, yes about the smooch, I didn't but DW even said she would be ok with that if I had Wink

Tri-Kev Here are my favorite links:
        My "kick @ss" running club ;)

Swim 2.4 miles.
        Ride 112 miles.
        Run 26.2 miles.
        Then brag for the rest of your life.
        -Commander John Collins, Ironman Triathlon creator

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

... We were up at 3:15 and out of the house by 3:30...
          Ugh, that's early, and wow, that's a quick ... um.... T0? Smile And I enjoyed the rest of the report as well.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Me and my gang in Breck

That sounds like such and awesome day! Congratulations and thanks for sharing a great report.

That which does not kill us makes us stronger. Neitzsche "Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go." "Dedication and commitment are what transfer dreams into reality."

Gotta TRI

Congratulations! Great race. I love that we can race with our idols like that. I ran w/ Chrissie last year at Timberman 70.3 and got a photo with her at the end. Andy Potts too. They both won that event as well. VERY nice people.
              2010 Dec. California International Marathon 2011 Jan. Disney Marathon

The voice of mile 18

did that columbia in 2000 and loved it that run is really obnoxious. the hills are brutual. you lucked out w/ the water temps though. great job

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

Slo

Nice RR....Great race. I sucked on my bike too. Last year at this time I had already had 400 or more miles in....no including trainer time. This winter I only used the trainer twice and very little biking in.....it showed Sat!