Swim Bike Run

Who besides me.... (Read 278 times)

is excited to get to ride outside now that we've had a little warmer weather?

And if there's a prize for the first post in February, I get it.  I guess everyone's training.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I am!  It's still a little sloppy on a lot of our roads (today the temperature dropped and there are a LOT of areas of black ice, now), so I think it will be at least a week before I can safely get out...but I gotta!  My new bike has over 400 miles on it...ALL on the f'ing trainer.  I can't stand it any longer!

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

jdazzle

I'm really hoping all of the snow/ice is gone by the weekend so I can at least get out of my basement...  Don't really care about the temp, just want to make sure I don't spill!  Here's to Spring!

Well I guess this is the time of year that I'm lucky to live in Tennessee.  In August, I'll be suffering in the heat, but for now it's good.  I rode outside again today at lunch and it was awesome!

I'm really hoping all of the snow/ice is gone by the weekend so I can at least get out of my basement...  Don't really care about the temp, just want to make sure I don't spill!  Here's to Spring!

You could always set up the trainer in the driveway and pretend you were out on the road Big grin

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Slo

Living in Iowa I've learned to bike year around.

Today I was finally able to commute to work again after the whopper of a snow storm we got 2 weeks ago today. Even still I had to dismount and carry my bike about a block where the snow was 12 inches deep.

Many road bikes will accept cyclocross tires. It's usually the brakes that do not have the clearance. You can get these tires studded as well. I ride a cyclocross as my commuter and I run studded tires in the winter time. I take my regular cyclocross tires and put them on my road bike. I really only need these tires to get me out of town. Once on the roads I usually find my way clear. To get the tires on I have to loosen the cable on my brakes so they open up further.

Temperatures are not nearly the issue you think. In single degree temps I wear the long john style bike pants, a long sleeve jersey with nothing more than a non - insulated wind breaker. The biggest trick is keeping the hands (Fingers) and the feet warm.  I also found that pure water freezes very quickly and Gatorade actually has a pretty low freezing point.

Check these out:  http://barmitts.com/

I don't own a pair but I probably will next year.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Many road bikes will accept cyclocross tires. It's usually the brakes that do not have the clearance. You can get these tires studded as well. I ride a cyclocross as my commuter and I run studded tires in the winter time. I take my regular cyclocross tires and put them on my road bike. I really only need these tires to get me out of town. Once on the roads I usually find my way clear. To get the tires on I have to loosen the cable on my brakes so they open up further.

I wish I could...mine won't take the larger-profile tires. Sad  My next ride WILL be a CX frame.  I'm already ogling a Redline or CAAD X.  It will be a while, though.  2010 was a bit bike-heavy.  Maybe in a year.  I could get a ton of use out of a CX bike...Winter rides, early Spring rides when the roads are full of sand and debris, and some races.  We even have some Winter CX races on the snow, here.  That sounds sorta scary and awesome all at once. Big grin  I'm not sure there will be much room for running in my life when I have a road bike and a CX bike. Wink

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I actually got a little 8 miler in on Feb 1st.  It was a pretty 48F day and I was so excited.  It has been 55-60F a couple of days this week but I ran instead.  I'm not a big fan of living in the south but it does have it's advantages.