Swim Bike Run

Major Wetsuit Repair (Read 278 times)

Muebele

Because I am the dumbest person in the world, I need to ask for some advice

I have a major tear in the arm of my wetsuit.  So much that it needs to be sewn (the forearm was nearly torn off).  I've worn it once, so I want to save the wetsuit. 

Has anybody even had to sew a wetsuit?  I know I have the watertight cement to put on after sewing, but I don't know how much success people have had with sewing.  Should I just take it to a tailor?

Any advice?

Matt

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Did you tangle with a shark? *trying to envision how such damage would be incurred*

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Muebele

I should tell people that!!! 

Actually, I was getting ready for my first open water swim (and the first time using that wetsuit in the water) and put my leg in the suit and heard a big rip!  Everybody that was also putting wetsuits on stopped and looked at me.  I looked down at my leg and saw the rip half way up the calf.  Then one woman said the worst thing I have ever heard

"I think you put your leg in your sleave" 

So yes, I wasn't paying attention and stuck my leg where my arm should have been. 

Like I said before, I am the dumbest man I know...

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

"I think you put your leg in your sleave" 

So yes, I wasn't paying attention and stuck my leg where my arm should have been. 

Like I said before, I am the dumbest man I know...

But you are far more entertaining than the "smart" guy who never does anything boneheaded.  I like people who do stupid shit.  Makes me look like less of an airhead! Big grin

~ Sarah Kay

Slo

Neoprene isn't something a regular tailor would be familiar with. Are you sure it's stitched ?

I'm trying to picture the two that I have and I can come up with stitching around the collar and the zipper. My long john (sleeveles) also has stitching around the arm openings......this is to create the seal against the skin. The rest of the suit is glued.

Where exactly did it rip at ? Is it possible to shorten the arm length ?

I'd suggest contacting the manufacture. And maybe trying a long john style without sleeves.

T-Bone

Puttin' on the foil

Last year I got a major rip in my Blue 70 wetsuit.  I contacted the shop where I purchased the wetsuit and they put me in touch with the Blue 70 sales rep. The suit was only one-year-old so it was still under warranty. They had me send it back for a determination of whether it could be fixed or whether to send me a new one. They decided to fix the wetsuit and sent me a loaner for an upcoming race. My rip occurred on a seam in the shoulder and you can't even tell it's been repaired. I would keep the fact that you put your leg in the arm sleeve on the "down low." However, I think you should contact the shop where you purchased the wetsuit and contact the manufacturer. Since it's new, the manufacturer should be pretty decent about either fixing it or getting you a new wetsuit.

Another option would be to contact any dive shops in your area and see if they do repairs wet or dry suits.

What is the manufacturer of the wetsuit?

Don't be obsessed with your desires Danny. The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Oh Mighty Wing

*giggle*

that's all I got!

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I would keep the fact that you put your leg in the arm sleeve on the "down low."

I think you should tell them that their product simply could not contain your "guns."  They don't need to know that you call your legs your "guns." 

~ Sarah Kay

Muebele

It's an Xterra wetsuit.  I went to the local dive shop, they gave me some patches... which won't do anything.  Sad part is that my first tri of the season is this saturday, and I was looking forward to wearing it. 

Note to self... PAY ATTENTION WHEN DRESSING!!!

Oh Mighty Wing

*giggle* i'm not sure why, but I find this HIGHLY entertaining! (and may continue to for the next little while, probably because I will end up doing something similar at some point)
                      Muebele

If it happened to someone else, I would be laughing too.