Swim Bike Run

I wish that Tri - Results postings after races would SPECIFY what bike you ride (Read 542 times)

Wannabee Newbie

We all know that Triathletes (on average...not everyone)  spend a good bit of coin on gear.     However, at the end of the day, it's the BIKE where it makes the biggest difference.

I view the swim and run as a pretty even playing field.    There are differences in quality of wet suits...but as long as it fits right....not going to be a massive time impact.    Same thing in running.

But biking....that is much different.    The thing I LOVED about my last Tri was it was my first time passing bikes that were 3K-6K  MORE expensive than mine.    

If you are like me then you enjoy analyzing your placement vs. your age division in the different elements and transitions.....and you enjoy trying to improve on your PR in previous races.     You set goals and you work hard.

One thing I wish they would do with races is that when you "ENTER"  have you identify what your RIDE is for the bike........and then when they POST results you can see what bikes beat you.   

FOR instance my last Tri....I was somewhere around 28th out of 66 in my age division on bike.    I don't have a TT or Tri bike...........so I would enjoy knowing how I ranked vs. others with like equipment.

Slo

it's the BIKE where it makes the biggest difference.

I liked much of your post......I just want to clarify one little thing.

It's your TRAINING that makes the biggest difference.

I liked much of your post......I just want to clarify one little thing.

It's your TRAINING that makes the biggest difference.

So true, during the bike part of the last tri that I did back in August, me (old road bike w/clips) and another guy (nice fancy tri bike) were changing leads back and forth and then towards the end we both got passed by a guy on an even older road bike and sneakers no clips, we both just looked at each and laughed. 

Gotta TRI

as I read that post I could almost hear Slo-Hand saying exactly what he said. ( No Offense, we 've been down that road before ) Having said that I would have to add that I totally agree....with both of you. Running and swimmming are pretty level playing fields and I don't think pricey Zoots are going to make a huge difference over Reeboks or Keds in the long run. And while there maybe some time savings in wetsuit vs. non, there's not much difference between wetsuits as a whole. Which brings us to bikes. Here I swing both ways. I think there totally is a difference between the $9000.00 Felt DA and the $500.00 Wal-mart special. There are simply too many variables here. It's all in the components used: carbons, ceramics, ultegra, sram, etc. However, I don't care how much you invest in a bike, it's not going to make a lick of difference if you don't put the time in riding it. And here is where you'll see the $500.00 bike passing the $9000.00 bikes. Personally I cannot justify ( much less afford ) the $9000.00 bike, but would certainly entertain a moderatly priced, middle of the road bike if I could. After all, every little bit helps!
          2010 Dec. California International Marathon 2011 Jan. Disney Marathon
            My wetsuit does keep me afloat, since I stink at swimming. I read that whatever time you gain from the wetsuit, you lose during T1 while taking it off. Not sure how accurate that is because my last Tri, my T1 was the 2nd or 3rd fastest out of the whole race and I was taking off a wetsuit. I did keep the pedals in the clips which made up time obviously.

As for bike, I'm going to start looking for a tri bike. Pretty excited, but dont wanna spend more than $2000. Hoping to get a mid level bike, like most, I can't justify spending 9000 on a bike. Hoping to get a good tax return this year Smile

protoplasm72

If money could buy significant speed Bill Gates would of won the Tour de France.  Expensive bikes are overrated.  The difference in time for a $1500 bike and $9k bike is only a couple seconds per 10 miles.  If you are riding around on a full suspension mountain bike with knobby tires you might want to consider getting a road bike.  Otherwise use the money you would of spent on a $9k bike and get a baby sitter so you can train more.  

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

ironTriKev

IronMan ;)

If money could buy significant speed Bill Gates would of won the Tour de France.  Expensive bikes are overrated.  The difference in time for a $1500 bike and $9k bike is only a couple seconds per 10 miles.  If you are riding around on a full suspension mountain bike with knobby tires you might want to consider getting a road bike.  Otherwise use the money you would of spent on a $9k bike and get a baby sitter so you can train more.  

Absolutely!

Tri-Kev Here are my favorite links:
                My "kick @ss" running club ;)

Swim 2.4 miles.
                Ride 112 miles.
                Run 26.2 miles.
                Then brag for the rest of your life.
                -Commander John Collins, Ironman Triathlon creator

Gotta TRI

If money could buy significant speed Bill Gates would of won the Tour de France.  

Only if he put the TIME in riding.

2010 Dec. California International Marathon 2011 Jan. Disney Marathon
                  Slo

Thanks for the laugh Andy.....

A wet suit in a sprint distance isn't going to gain you anything. Like someone said, what ever time gained is lost in transition.......except when the swim is greater than 1000 meters.....ie, an Olympic, half or full IM. Here the wetsuit can be quite advantageous.

As far as price on a wetsuit.....there are Major major quality differences. The material and the way they are built.....still, the difference between a $300 and $1000 is probably minimal.

Bikes......It's been proven over and over again that your mid-priced bike is the best bang for the buck.  I have one bike outfitted with 105's and another outfitted with Dura Ace. While the Dura Ace shifting is smooth and quick I can not say that one bike is faster than the other but one did cost $1500 more.

As far as training goes.....it's a Triathlon. You have to train for the whole thing.

I would completely disagree that Running and Swimming are equal playing fields.....at least in the Tri's I do. If your mentality is "I'll make it up on the bike".......then what do you do with that guy who has the swimming down and shifts his focus to improving his bike......Are you going to catch him on the run now?

<Rant ON> Andy knows my position on equipment. When I was doing Tri's 15 or more years ago equipment didn't matter. The races were more social and it was more about the lifestyle. I took a 10 year or more hiatis from Triathlon to come back to a sport that is now heavily focused on gear and in my opinion has priced itself out of the "everyman" market......which is really where it has its roots in my opinion. <Rant Off>

I'm not a triathlete, but have friends that are and my wife competes and race directs two triathlons a year, so I've been around the sport. I agree with Andy in that there comes a point where equipment differences can yield advantages in this sport, especially with the bike. Aerodynamics, weight, rolling resistance and efficincent power transfer comes in the form of dollars. Riding a road bike vs. a tri specific bike can make a big difference come time for the run portion alone without the added benefits of aerodynamics.

The tri bike moves your center towards the cranks which greatly affects the muscle groups involved in pedalling. It involves more hamstring and less quadracept which in turn, reduces the time needed to transition into running. The difference between riding a mid-level tri bike vs. a high end bike will depend more on where you are as an athlete and where you want to be. If you're a professional vs an age group athlete, the high end bike can make a difference in your finish as a pro and can mean a bigger pay check. Its also about aerodynamics. If an athlete can cut through the air with less resistance, they will be faster. I've been told before that a tri bike should add at least 2 mph to your bike time.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

T-Bone

Puttin' on the foil

Riding a road bike vs. a tri specific bike can make a big difference  

That's right.  At a minimum you should consider a set of aerobars, if you are riding a road bike with standard road bars.  That will make a significant difference and shouldn't cost too much. 

As have been discussed, a true TT or tri bike will make you faster.  Even an entry level tri bike.  The set up is what is important.  The seat post angle puts you in an aero-dynamic postition and it requires you to use muscle groups on the bike that will complement your run.  A good fitting tri bike will make your bike splits faster and it will make your run splits faster.

The difference between an entry level tri bike and a higher end bike boils down to the frame material (carbon v. aluminum, for example), components and sex appeal.  I ride a QR Lucero which I bought new 3 years ago for $4,500.  Full carbon, Vision aerobars w/ bar end shifters and DA 10 speed.  It is the best investment I have ever made (athletically speaking!).  I bought it with a home equity loan and it took me almost 2 years to pay it off.    Totally worth it in my opinion.  Some people might think I'm nuts, but ski set-ups and the fancy golf clubs are similar in cost. 

However, I do have a buddy who qualified for Kona on a six year old aluminum Cervello TT bike.  It really is about the position the bike puts you in.  In Kona this year, I saw the new Pinerello TT bike - $15,000!  It's not that much different from my bike and its not that much different from my buddy's aluminum Cervello.

Bike preference is in large part a personal decision based on your level of commitment.  Just like how much you train.  I can't remember the last time I was passed by someone on a road bike during a race.

MTA - You can see a picture of my ride in this form under the topic "Borrowed Disc."

Don't be obsessed with your desires Danny. The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

I ride a road bike w/ aero bars.  Two years ago I put on a different stem, which dropped my position slightly, and I saw a 1 mph increase in average speed.  That equates to 7-8 minutes in a 1/2.

Equipment does make a difference.

FWIW, I LOVE passing 5k+ bikes!

Slo

mattr

I'm not trying to be a smart-ass here but the questions begs to be asked:

How do you know it wasn't a result of your training ? Exactly how did you come to the 1mph conclusion? My average speed can vary on the same bike on the same course with the same equipment. I can assure you that without equipment changes I am (was) a faster rider in 2008 than I was in 2006. Much more than 1 mph too. I have training logs to prove it.

Yes equipment makes a difference and thats partly the point. The equipment seems to have become THE major fixation. Maybe I'm hanging onto a time that does not exist in Triathlon anymore......back in the days of Dave Scott and the likes.....we weren't looking at his bike, we wanted to know what he was doing for training.

Pick up an issue of Triathlete Mag and look at the featured athlete. There is more press given to his bike setup and fueling than his training. Gotta keep the sponsors happy I suppose.

MTA....not that I am not enamored by gear. I remember when Quintanna Roo came out with the first Tri specific bike back in the late 80's. People that showed up with one really showed that there was a difference. I own a Quintanna Roo Seduza today and am considering a 2010 model.

T-Bone

Puttin' on the foil

Slo Hand - I like your style!  The Seduza is sweet.

Don't be obsessed with your desires Danny. The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Don't get me wrong, the motor is the most important part of the bike.

Slo-hand, on one of the training rides that I do with a fair amount of regularity I keep track of all my stats.  It is a flat, fairly straight route that I can spend a large amount of time on the aero bars.  Now, from ride to ride there are variences; but as a whole the lower position gave me 1mph.  Not 1mph every ride, it's not some magical thing, but my point was that getting into just a slightly more aerodynamic position has a pretty large effect over 56 miles. 

Good question.