Swim Bike Run

Panama, Panama (Read 419 times)

xhristopher

I'll preface this by admitting I'm not a Lace fanboy. In fact, I have a  hard time not thinking of pro cycling like I do pro wrestling. I do like a spectacle tho...

...but holy hell, that's some "debut" by Lance. I'm looking forward to watching more of the spectacle and I hope it's good for the sport.

Gotta think he was "conservative" on the bike but that half time seems impressive.

I've been waiting for this subject for the past 27 hours....  I followed it on IronmanLive yesterday morning.

Yes, quite an amazing entry into the sport.

10th out of the water

2nd after the bike (-6 seconds)

leading during the run

finishing 2nd.

Welcome to IM, Lance!

I can't wait to see what he can do to IM racing over the next couple years.

"I think you ride for show and run for dough"

""I don't need a job, so I need a challenge in my life," Armstrong said. "I need some stuff to do. I like to train, I like to suffer a bit. It's great to be back."

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

I've been waiting for this subject for the past 27 hours....  I followed it on IronmanLive yesterday morning.

Yes, quite an amazing entry into the sport.

10th out of the water

2nd after the bike (-6 seconds)

leading during the run

finishing 2nd.

Welcome to IM, Lance!

I can't wait to see what he can do to IM racing over the next couple years.

"I think you ride for show and run for dough"

""I don't need a job, so I need a challenge in my life," Armstrong said. "I need some stuff to do. I like to train, I like to suffer a bit. It's great to be back."

Return to the sport.

Who knew he could run that well. He's a freak

It will be interesting to see how he handles the IM distance.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Return to the sport.

Who knew he could run that well. He's a freak

It will be interesting to see how he handles the IM distance.

Yes, kind of a return... Sprint / Olympic is a much different discipline than 1/2 and Full IM.

But, point taken.

Don't think that the pure runners within RA will think much of his 1:1x:00 1/2 marathon though.  I don't think some of them respect how challenging it is to combine the 3 sports in 1 event.

Life Goals:

xhristopher

Return to the sport.

His last tri was in 1990. Freak is right.

Don't think that the pure runners within RA will think much of his 1:1x:00 1/2 marathon though.  I don't think some of them respect how challenging it is to combine the 3 sports in 1 event.

Agreed

... and I forgot to add that doing it during the toughest part of the day and the toughest season of the year.

It's not only the 3 sports.  It's the conditions of that 3rd sport that make it brutal to be "elite".

Life Goals:

xhristopher

For a little perspective... Top riders on long 40-50 km TTs in the Tour will average 31+mph. They say TT days at the Tour are semi-rest days for most of the field and those riders still average over 29+ mph. Lance averaged about 26 mph on a non UCI legal / fast as money can buy bike. Gotta think he was saving it for the run.

ironTriKev

IronMan ;)

... and I forgot to add that doing it during the toughest part of the day and the toughest season of the year.

It's not only the 3 sports.  It's the conditions of that 3rd sport that make it brutal to be "elite".

You don't have to be elite for it to be brutal Smile

Tri-Kev Here are my favorite links:
                    My "kick @ss" running club ;)

Swim 2.4 miles.
                    Ride 112 miles.
                    Run 26.2 miles.
                    Then brag for the rest of your life.
                    -Commander John Collins, Ironman Triathlon creator

You don't have to be elite for it to be brutal Smile

fair enough Smile

Life Goals:

For a little perspective... Top riders on long 40-50 km TTs in the Tour will average 31+mph. They say TT days at the Tour are semi-rest days for most of the field and those riders still average over 29+ mph. Lance averaged about 26 mph on a non UCI legal / fast as money can buy bike. Gotta think he was saving it for the run.

he was def saving it, but you can make up more time on the bike than the run,  he would have won if he pushed a little harder on the bike and will probably win next time 

will probably win next time 

Yes, I would definitely agree there.  From the original press release relating to his IM season, he was taking a couple of these as tests for the body to figure out what it takes to do the event.

He's got what it takes to win and dominate (I think).

It'll be exciting seeing whether the sport gets embraced by mainstream media (rather than just the Kona race).

This 'could' be the coming out party for what the few of us know IM to be.

(BTW, I'm a freakin' rookie here, and know nothing about what IM is like.... my first full IM is in 3 months).

Life Goals:

(BTW, I'm a freakin' rookie here, and know nothing about what IM is like.... my first full IM is in 3 months).

Awesome. What race are you doing? Hope your training is going well!

Awesome. What race are you doing? Hope your training is going well!

Ironman Texas, May 19.

MTA... I live just a few miles west of you, I think.  I'm in Flower Mound. 

Life Goals:

Ironman Texas, May 19.

MTA... I live just a few miles west of you, I think.  I'm in Flower Mound. 

Sweet. I did IMTX last year and had a blast. Feel free to message me if you have any questions leading up to the race.

Didn't realize we were in the same metroplex. I'm in Plano but am over near the airport a good bit too. If I was still in good tri shape I'd say let's meet up for a workout, but that would just be ugly. Good luck to you in training!