Swim Bike Run

Goggles (Read 443 times)

I've been swimming for a while, and I've done a few open water races (triathlons), but I'd like to know the best goggles for open water swimming.

Currently, I swim with a Nike Remora's.  I don't know whether I like it or not because I always replace my old pair with the same style I had before.

I'm preparing for my first Ironman, and I'd hate to have a pair that is known to be bad in open water swimming due to either (1) sun glare, (2) lens angle, (3) peripheral vision, (4) easy to come off when slapped on head, .... etc..

Any advice / guidance / words of the wise?

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

Slo

The best goggles I've found are the cheap $4 dollar swede's that you have to assemble yourself.

I've litterally have probably spent upwards of $200 on goggles before a former collegiate swimmer suggested I give them a try.

You can get these tinted in different colors and they also come with a metalized finish that is perfect for outdoors. I've never had these knocked off my face.

The best thing about them is: If you don't like them your not out anything.

If you do try them I have a few suggestion:

1).  Do not over tighten the rubber band. It actually takes very little pressure to create the seal.

2).  Throw away the little nose tube and string. Use part of the rubber band for the nose piece. Google it, theres lots of info on doing this.

3). Tie the rubber band in a square knot so you can undue it if you need to adjust.

Good Luck...outside ot that I'm sure it's 90% personal preference. That's why there's so many to choose from.

I like aquasphere for ocean swims. I don't buy the big mask type, but the goggles are slightly larger than my pool ones. I believe they meet all four of your criteria.

I wouldn't call this words from the wise, or at least not words directly from the wise. I bought them on recommendations from other wise ones.

I wouldn't call this words from the wise, or at least not words directly from the wise. I bought them on recommendations from other wise ones.

I think that makes you a wise one.

Life Goals:

T-Bone

Puttin' on the foil

I've done a fair amount of experimenting, but as Slo-Hand said - it really is a personal choice.  I have always used Speedo Vanquishers for pool workouts.  In the summer, I used to switch to a pair of goggles specifically designed for open water, like the BlueSeventy Element or Vision.  Although those worked ok in open water, they suck in the pool because they leak when pushing off the wall.  Since then, I now use the Vanquisher exclusively.  I use a pair with clear lenses for indoor pool swimming, a smoked pair outside during overcast conditions and a mirrorized pair when the sun is shining.  They work great - no leakage and good visibility.  They cost about $15 per pair, which is cheap compared to some "open water" models that run aroung $40.  My wife usuall hooks me up with the three pairs I just mentioned for Christmas and they usually last a whole season.  Sometimes I end up needing a second pair of clears for the indoor pool.

Don't be obsessed with your desires Danny. The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

I use a cheap pair of speedos, they have lasted me over a year and were $15 i think, might try some Aquaspheres though as I have some friends that like them

My wife gave me the latest pair of goggles that I'm currently using. I had no idea what they were, but I really liked them. I was thinking about getting another pair, but my head began to spin when I started looking at all the different styles on the rack at the sporting goods store.

I decided to look up the goggles that T-Bone mentioned, the speedo vanquishers, and to my amazement, those are the goggles I am using. now I know what to look for the next time I'm standing in front of the goggles display. They are $10.95 on Swimoutlet.com right now. I may have to put in an order.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

T-Bone

Puttin' on the foil

My wife gave me the latest pair of goggles that I'm currently using. I had no idea what they were, but I really liked them. I was thinking about getting another pair, but my head began to spin when I started looking at all the different styles on the rack at the sporting goods store.

I decided to look up the goggles that T-Bone mentioned, the speedo vanquishers, and to my amazement, those are the goggles I am using. now I know what to look for the next time I'm standing in front of the goggles display. They are $10.95 on Swimoutlet.com right now. I may have to put in an order.

If you are swimming inside, the clear lenses are a must.  The only downside is the other people in the pool can tell if you are checking them out (for swim techique, obviously).

Don't be obsessed with your desires Danny. The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

If you are swimming inside, the clear lenses are a must.  The only downside is the other people in the pool can tell if you are checking them out (for swim techique, obviously).

When they see me swim, its painfully obvious that my stares are for stroke improvement insight only. I do have the clear lenses.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

protoplasm72

I use Tyr nest pro goggles of various shades.  Think I currently have 4 different shades/colors.  Best goggles I've tried but like everyone said, it's personal preference.  What fits one person might not fit the next.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

The best goggles I've found are the cheap $4 dollar swede's that you have to assemble yourself.

I've litterally have probably spent upwards of $200 on goggles before a former collegiate swimmer suggested I give them a try.

You can get these tinted in different colors and they also come with a metalized finish that is perfect for outdoors. I've never had these knocked off my face.

The best thing about them is: If you don't like them your not out anything.

If you do try them I have a few suggestion:

1).  Do not over tighten the rubber band. It actually takes very little pressure to create the seal.

2).  Throw away the little nose tube and string. Use part of the rubber band for the nose piece. Google it, theres lots of info on doing this.

3). Tie the rubber band in a square knot so you can undue it if you need to adjust.

Good Luck...outside ot that I'm sure it's 90% personal preference. That's why there's so many to choose from.

Just bought a couple pairs of Swedes and have one around my neck right now.  I'll give it a try tomorrow.  Thanks,

Life Goals:

BTW, didn't like the swede's.... very painful for me.  Wore them once.

Used another pair of Remora's for the past few months, but I could no longer see through them due to film buildup on the lens.

Just bought Speedo Vanquishers and used them today in the pool.  Very comfortable.

Life Goals:

Elly.

Yes... It is a very personal choice. A few years ago I forgot my goggles and had to resort to borrow my grandson's "Junior Speedos". To my shock, they felt great. It was a perfect fit, no leaking, no raccoon eyes ... I just had to adjust the strap a little. They were from Target and under $10. The biggest problem I had was finding a pair with no kiddy colors like blue or pink or lavender.

http://www.ellyfosterphotography.com/

Another vote for the Speedo Vanquishers. I've gone through a few pairs of them now over the last few years and have no complaints. Also, I always bring an extra pair to races just in case the straps break as I'm putting them on or something like that. I've actually saved friends on a couple occasions as this happened to them and I lent them my backup pair.