Swim Bike Run

Trial by fire...and wind and rain... (Read 347 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Looks like my first duathlon is really going to be a test of my mettle.  Craptacular forecast...

Sunday: Rain. Steady temperature around 54. Breezy, with a east northeast wind between 17 and 22 mph, with gusts as high as 31 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%.

After that a hot shower is going to be SO welcome!

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

ironTriKev

IronMan ;)

Yikes, how did it go?

Tri-Kev Here are my favorite links:
      My "kick @ss" running club ;)

Swim 2.4 miles.
      Ride 112 miles.
      Run 26.2 miles.
      Then brag for the rest of your life.
      -Commander John Collins, Ironman Triathlon creator

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yikes, how did it go?

AWESOME--most fun I have EVER had during a race!  I will post a full report on the main boards once official results are in, but I placed 5/9 in my AG, beating out a friend who is a friggin' monster on the bike (but rarely runs and I don't think did any brick workouts).  I had a 5k PR on the first leg and did my first ride in POURING rain (with high winds).  My last 5k was my 3rd fastest ever.  Cycling has definitely NOT hurt my running in any fashion.

Next year I want to tackle the cycling leg a LOT more aggressively.  I took it easy because of the rain...corners made me nervous.  I'm also hoping to drop enough weight to knock a few minutes off of my 5k legs.

Brick workouts are definitely golden.  That last 5k felt pretty strong, even after the bike.  I may do bricks occasionally just for the fabulous workout.

~ Sarah Kay

T-Bone

Puttin' on the foil

Way to go!!  So glad to hear you had fun, and did well.  Bricks are huge.  I try to run at least 4 miles anytime I do a long ride.  It's huge.  Congrats!

Now go clear your bike!

Don't be obsessed with your desires Danny. The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

ironTriKev

IronMan ;)

Woohoo, Kirsten!!

Yes Bricks rock!

Swim 2.4 miles.
            Ride 112 miles.
            Run 26.2 miles.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Woohoo, Kirsten!!

Yes Bricks rock!

Thanks!  I was honestly expecting that first mile of the last 5k to feel seriously jell-o leggy, but it wasn't so bad.  I would say that sensation passed by about a half mile.  I feel kinda bad for my friend...I'm sure that last 5k was godawful for her.  Running is HARD if a person rarely/never does it, no matter how strong they may be on a bike.

~ Sarah Kay

How many brick workouts are recommended for a first triathlon.  The race will be 1/2 mile swim, 21 bike, 5 run.  I'm following an Olympic distance program from beginnertriathlete.com.  They call for 2 swim/bike bricks and 2 bike/run bricks. Is that enough? http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=30
                zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I don't know much about tris (swimming, yuck), but I really love the book I built my duathlon training around, Training Plans for Multisport Athletes, by Gale Bernhardt.  She's got plans for beginners to advanced athletes (du, tri, Xterra), including several for people who are coming to multi-sport from a particular discipline.  It served me very well and I plan to train similarly next year.  About the only thing I really plan to change is my body-weight.

~ Sarah Kay

T-Bone

Puttin' on the foil

How many brick workouts are recommended for a first triathlon.  The race will be 1/2 mile swim, 21 bike, 5 run.  I'm following an Olympic distance program from beginnertriathlete.com.  They call for 2 swim/bike bricks and 2 bike/run bricks. Is that enough? http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=30

It's really about the bike/run bricks.  I'd try to do several.  Like run 3 or 4 miles after your long/intense bike workouts.  That's really all it takes.  It will give you the feel of transitioning from a non-weight bearing exercise to weight bearing.  It takes a few minute to establish your running legs.  Keep at it and you'll start to get used to it.

Don't be obsessed with your desires Danny. The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

It takes a few minute to establish your running legs.  Keep at it and you'll start to get used to it.

Yep.  The first few bricks I did were AWFUL!  By the last one I did my legs felt strong.  Yesterday I didn't have too much trouble transitioning from bike to run.  I feel for those who did not do bricks.  That last leg had to have hurt really bad.

~ Sarah Kay

ironTriKev

IronMan ;)

It's really about the bike/run bricks.  I'd try to do several.  Like run 3 or 4 miles after your long/intense bike workouts.  That's really all it takes.  It will give you the feel of transitioning from a non-weight bearing exercise to weight bearing.  It takes a few minute to establish your running legs.  Keep at it and you'll start to get used to it.

I agree on the number bu have a slight disagreement on the length of brick runs, really only 1-2 miles is needed, most folks usually measure in time and only go about 10 minutes especialy for sprint distance races What the bricks are really doing is getting the athlete used to the feeling of blood flow that needs to change slightly from biking muscle groups to running muscle groups which is why the, it only feels weird for 1/4-1/2 mile.  

Now brick run distance for a 70.3 or Ironman - that's a diferent story 

Swim 2.4 miles.
                        Ride 112 miles.
                        Run 26.2 miles.