Swim Bike Run

Sprint Triathlon - mini race report (Read 181 times)

IMKY13 finish!!

Well, I completed my third triathlon (all sprint) this past weekend.  It is the Cedars of Lebanon Triathlon (I did this same one last year as well).  As you can see from chart below, I really improved my time on the bike.  However, I know I would have been faster in both the swim & run portions, had I not been battling bruised/cracked ribs.  The pain slowed me down a bit in the swim, but it really slowed me down on the run as I couldn’t get a good deep breath.  My legs felt great & strong, but I had to slow up a few times in order to get my breath.  If it weren’t for my injury, I think I could have done about 7 minutes on the swim and around 27 minutes on the run.  My injury didn’t really affect me on the bike part though.

Swim - 300 meters

0:07:58

0:07:56

T1

0:04:02

0:03:35

Bike - 16.5 hilly miles

1:05:29

0:55:57

T2

0:01:15

0:02:02

Run - 3.0 hilly miles

0:31:09

0:28:29

Total

1:49:51

1:37:57

My goal next year for this race is to get a podium finish in the Clydesdale division.  If I can shave 1 minute off in my swim time, 10 minutes off in my bike time, 2 minutes off of my run time and 1 minute total in the transitions would put be at 1:23:59, which should be able to get my podium finish (based on the times from last two years). 

Fitness/weight goals for 2014

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

2) Get to 189 lbs by the end of July 2014...and stay there (as of 4-25-14 was at 203 lbs)

3) Complete Ironman Chattanooga in under 14 hours

4) Break 4 hours in a stand alone marathon (Goal race=Rocket City 12/13/14)

5) 4,500 total overall miles for the year:

Swim: 100 miles

Bike: 3,000 miles

Run: 1,400 miles

One thing I've noticed about the podium finishers at any somewhat large triathlon is that although they may be 200+ pounds, they are 6' plus, ripped monsters with little or no body fat on them and should really be competting in the AG instead of against (what I call) real clydedales.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

IMKY13 finish!!

One thing I've noticed about the podium finishers at any somewhat large triathlon is that although they may be 200+ pounds, they are 6' plus, ripped monsters with little or no body fat on them and should really be competting in the AG instead of against (what I call) real clydedales.

I agree!!!  The guys that I saw up there on the podium (with maybe one exception) barely looked over 200lbs.  I am 6'1" and currently weight about 225 lbs (and i am not ripped...and most of the fat is in my belly.  I'd say my body fat % is around the 25% to 27%).  My goal is to get down to around 210 while losing my gut (I know it's hard to just lose it in my belly...but I am going to try).

Fitness/weight goals for 2014

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

2) Get to 189 lbs by the end of July 2014...and stay there (as of 4-25-14 was at 203 lbs)

3) Complete Ironman Chattanooga in under 14 hours

4) Break 4 hours in a stand alone marathon (Goal race=Rocket City 12/13/14)

5) 4,500 total overall miles for the year:

Swim: 100 miles

Bike: 3,000 miles

Run: 1,400 miles

Blondie

Hey, good luck next year in your goal. I would say that 10 minutes less on that route is not likely. 55 minutes is respectible for that course. Maybe get 5 minutes on the bike and 5 minutes on the run would be more attainable. I did 1:29 this past weekend on scanty training, and would like to get around 1:23 myself next year.

You might get a minute or 2 in transitions also.  Smile

-Chris Ellis