Swim Bike Run

In Race Ironman data collection (Read 298 times)

I *used* to have a Garmin 305 (up until about a week ago when it decided to quit on me after 1 hour of riding).

I'm shopping for a replacement, but rather than simply replacing it, I want to know the best approach to capturing data when racing 11+ hours (realistically, I'm hoping for 12.5+ hours, but for the purposes of this forum, I want y'all to think that I can do 11 hours Smile ).

For swimming, my plan was to use my Ironman Triathlon Timex watch, and hit "go" when we all go.  That'll be my main watch for the "11+" hours and I'd use that for splits.

For biking, I was planning on using a Garmin 305, and pray that it lasts for 6 hours while I'm biking.  Not sure that's a great strategy, but that was my plan.... HELP? Any Advice?

For running, I was planning on using a 2nd Garmin 305, and use that for my run. 

I was hoping that both Garmin 305's that I'd use for the event would detect the same HR monitor strap (but I've never got around to testing that.

I think I saw a Garmin 605? that works for 11+ hours of activity before the battery dies.

Basically, what do people do when racing an Ironman?  Any advice to help a novice like me?

Thanks,

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

T-Bone

Puttin' on the foil

Interesting question, one I've struggled with.  I identified several problems.  First, like you mention, the Garmin battery doesn't last all day and it is too big for the swim in my opinion (I'm actually using a Timex Global trainer these days, same thing essentially).  I have raced without a watch for the swim, but near the end of the day I never know exactly where I am in terms of total time.

Here it my solution.  I wear my normal Timex HR monitor/watch on my right wrist.  I wear it all day.  I hit the start button at the beginning of the swim and let it go without touching it for the rest of the day.  I can get a pretty good swim split from the watch in T1.  In T1, I put on my Global Trainer on my left wrist in the "off" position.  For me, my on board bike computer tells me everything I need to know while riding (time, power, HR, cadence).  With about one hour to go on the bike, I turn on the Global Trainer so it can synch up with the satellites.  As I leave T2, I start the Global Trainer and use that for the run (HR, splits, etc.)  Total time can be checked on my right wrist on my Timex watch.  Yes, I am "that guy" with a watch on each wrist.  Having the total time really helped me achieve my goal at the last Ironman I did.

You should be able to synch you HR strap to both units.  I have a Cycleops HR strap that I have synched to my Timex watch and my Timex Global trainer.

Don't be obsessed with your desires Danny. The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

2 305s should be good for the bike and run.  I've done leisurely centuries with my 305, no problem.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Whats wrong with a Garmin 310xt or 910xt?

The 310 has a 20 hour battery life and can record all 5 phases in auto sport mode with a push of the button. I think I would put it under my swim cap while swimming, then my wrist during T1.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

IMKY13 finish!!

My plan is sort of similar to T-Bone's.  It's basically this (and I haven’t tested it yet, but my goal race isn’t until Sept):  I’ve got an Ironman Timex Speed/Distance watch that uses a GPS strapped onto my arm….so I’d use that one for entire portion of the race (without using the GPS portion for swim or bike), for keeping time.  I’d hit start on the Timex as I start my swim, and use the timer portion through-out the entire race.  Then, on the bike portion, I’d have my 305 mounted on the bike (turned on, just before leaving transition area before start of race…plenty of time to sync with satellites)….for bike portion data.  Just before mounting the bike, I’d also put the Timex Speed/Distance GPS strap on my arm and leave it turned off.  About ½ hour or so before finishing bike portion, turn on the strapped on GPS thing to give plenty of time for it to sync up.  I’d then have the Timex Speed/Distance watch (with time counting since start of swim) for the run portion data.

If that doesn’t work, my wife has a 305 as well, and can do something similar to Brian...just not sure if I want to wear 2 watches though.  We shall see.

Fitness/weight goals for 2014

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

2) Get to 189 lbs by the end of July 2014...and stay there (as of 4-25-14 was at 203 lbs)

3) Complete Ironman Chattanooga in under 14 hours

4) Break 4 hours in a stand alone marathon (Goal race=Rocket City 12/13/14)

5) 4,500 total overall miles for the year:

Swim: 100 miles

Bike: 3,000 miles

Run: 1,400 miles

ironTriKev

IronMan ;)

Whats wrong with a Garmin 310xt or 910xt?

The 310 has a 20 hour battery life and can record all 5 phases in auto sport mode with a push of the button. I think I would put it under my swim cap while swimming, then my wrist during T1.

I used a 310xt in my last 2 Ironman races (Louisville and Cozumel) no problems Cozumel was my slowest, I went 13:53:50 and had battery left.. And of course swimming with the 310xt is not a problem either.

Tri-Kev Here are my favorite links:
              My "kick @ss" running club ;)

Swim 2.4 miles.
              Ride 112 miles.
              Run 26.2 miles.
              Then brag for the rest of your life.
              -Commander John Collins, Ironman Triathlon creator

I used a 310xt in my last 2 Ironman races (Louisville and Cozumel) no problems Cozumel was my slowest, I went 13:53:50 and had battery left.. And of course swimming with the 310xt is not a problem either.

Great.  So, before I assume anything... when you used your 310xt, did you swim with it in the race and wear the HR monitor?

Or, did you keep it in transition?

Regardless, thanks for the information.
                Time to shop soon.

Brian

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

Great.  So, before I assume anything... when you used your 310xt, did you swim with it in the race and wear the HR monitor?

Or, did you keep it in transition?

Regardless, thanks for the information.
                  Time to shop soon.

Brian

I know this wasn't meant for me, but the 310xt is made to wear in the water. Most guys wear the HR strap under their tri top and wetsuit. Some people I know put the 310xt under their swimcap so it can get the GPS signal while swimming, otherwise the reception is poor.

The new 910xt has swim metrics built in and an open water swim setting to track the swim as well as a pool setting for laps.

I own a 310xt as of Black Friday deal and so far I'm really liking it. I went and replaced the orignal strap with a cheap velcro strap I bought at Wal-Mart. I've read that some people have had problems with a strap pin popping out while racing and the watch ends up on the ground or worse, at the bottom of the lake. With the velcro strap, it would take both pins popping out to actually lose it.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

ironTriKev

IronMan ;)

I wore it during the swim with HR strap, with the firmware upgrade it does a decent job of correcting for the loss of satellite when your arm is under water.

I have the quick release bike mount which changed the strap and have not had any issue with the pins popping out.  I also believe they corrected this problem with an upgrade kit and the newer units ship with the modification (could be wrong about that though).  My main issue with the original strap was that the rubberized plastic was weak and I broke the strap twice, it tore where the pins hold it to the body, but the pins never cam out.

Tri-Kev Here are my favorite links:
                    My "kick @ss" running club ;)

Swim 2.4 miles.
                    Ride 112 miles.
                    Run 26.2 miles.
                    Then brag for the rest of your life.
                    -Commander John Collins, Ironman Triathlon creator

Sorry to hear your 305 quit on you. I've had mine for almost 5 years now and it has served me very well. It did start acting up last fall and shutting off in the middle of workouts. I took it apart and realized the battery was losing contact...nothing a little super glue couldn't fix! It's working great now!

Basically, what do people do when racing an Ironman?  Any advice to help a novice like me?

I didn't use anything for the swim, just glanced at the official clock when I exited the water. I did wear my HR strap under my tri suit to avoid having to put it on in T1.

For the bike, I used my Garmin 305 (already attached to my handlebars). If you're concerned about battery life, be sure and adjust the recording settings to "Smart Recording" instead of "Every Second". This will help extend the battery life. Also, your GPS files won't be ridiculously large.

For the run, I borrowed my dad's Garmin 310XT. Of course, if you borrow something try to get some time with it in training. Never race with something you haven't trained with first.

All that said, as T-Bone mentioned, w/o wearing the same watch the duration of the race, you don't know what your total time is at all times. I finished in 12:00:59 and missed my 12hr goal by :59 seconds. By my watch I knew I was close to 12 hours, but didn't have the EXACT time and didn't know until I could see the finish chute that I wasn't going to be sub 12hr. I can think of a ton of places I could have made up 1min and gone sub 12hr if I knew my overall time.