Swim Bike Run

First Triathlon - Questions on Improving (Read 238 times)

Bugs

I posted in race forums.. It went GREAT!

Swim  100yd Trn.1  Rank    Bike    Rate   Trn.2   Rank   Run     Pace  Finish  
    8:45     2:00   1:37   18         42:44  16.8     0:59    8           28:54  8:02    1:22:56

31/95 Female Placement

13/38 35 - 44 Age Group

I'm still on a high. I'm signed up for a fall marathon but so excited about triathlons, and so excited to come back next year and destroy my 1:22:56 time.

I've committed to keep swimming, two days a week with a master swim coach the next year, and one other day on my own. What would be a good time goal for the swim next year?

Advice on bike trainers would be great, need one for winter training .

Bugs

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I have no specific advice on swimming, but as for trainers...I kinda like magnetic trainers, even though they are often considered "inferior" to fluid trainers.  But they are also cheaper and adjustable.  And I hate my hubby's CycleOps fluid trainer.  The resistance is insane.  I can go from averaging 16mph on the road, including the pace lost for stops.  At the same effort I am lucky to pull 13mph on his trainer.  Since I log my miles all Winter it's a little demoralizing.

I had a Magneto magnetic trainer that I ran into the ground, but it was already at least 20 years old when I started to use it and DH used it for many years, so I think it did pretty well.  I now have a new CycleOps magnetic trainer, but it's not their top of the line.  The resistance unit seems to be warped, so we need to have our LBS send it back to the company for replacement.  As it is it feels like I'm riding on rumble strips and it vibrates the entire house.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Congratulations Bugs! You did great, especially for your first triathlon!

The bike is where you can make up the most time, and it sounds like you're thinking right with the trainer idea.  Just like running, simply increasing the volume, especially when you first start, will make your times improve quite a bit.

I just bought a Computrainer, which is awesome, but pretty expensive.  They retail for ~ $1600, but I got a used one on Ebay for $860 plus $60 shipping.

As a back of the pack swimmer, I'm really impressed with your swim time.  Masters swim will help, but beyond that, I'm the last one to ask for swim advice.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I just bought a Computrainer, which is awesome, but pretty expensive.  They retail for ~ $1600, but I got a used one on Ebay for $860 plus $60 shipping.

Wow, score! Cool

~ Sarah Kay

Wow, score! Cool

I'm excited about getting it.  I can ride at midnight now if I want. LOL!  I have it set up in my living room, but making plans for setting it up in the office.  I was thinking about race wheels but I think this was a better investment.  

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'm excited about getting it.  I can ride at midnight now if I want. LOL!  I have it set up in my living room, but making plans for setting it up in the office.  I was thinking about race wheels but I think this was a better investment.  

Ooh, that's a tough call!  I think my next bike-related investment will be better wheels...I may even try my hand at building my own (this is a long-term want--I've been sort of a bike ho for the past 18 months Tongue).  But a Computrainer would be sweet!

~ Sarah Kay