Swim Bike Run

70.3 Recovery (Read 311 times)

On 4/10, I completed my 1st 1/2 Ironman!  Yahoo!

It was a great event, and I finished in the times that I desired (total time: 5:45).  When I finished, I felt like I could continue running for another 3 - 6 miles, so I was real excited about how great I felt at the end of the race.  To me, it showed that I was fully prepared.

For all my training, my target HR was 145. 

For my race, my target HR was 155-160.  Actual race results kept me within that range and kept me fresh.

Since then, I've been in active recovery without any structured plan for the next event.

(My profile shows little in terms of running, biking, or swimming, but in addition to what shows, I've done 2 1/2 hours of a cardio class with my wife as well as 2 1/2 hours of light to moderate weight workouts with a focus on my quads, hamstrings, and calfs).

By this time (4 weeks later), I was hoping to be in full active mode, but I haven't been able to....

Let me explain.

-While I run, I'm decoupling real bad, and need to slow down my run to maintain my target HR.  I know that "the book" tell you that will happen, but I didn't think it would take 4 weeks.

-While I swim, I tire out real quick.  I've finally been able to get up to 1000 yards straight while maintaining decent pace.  It's slower than before, but I also realize that I've been doing a fair amount of leg workouts.

-By the time the weekend comes, I'm too tired to get on a bike and ride 30+ miles.

Is this common?

I'm not concerned, and I'm not pushing myself when my body talks to me asking for a break.

I've attained my primary 2011 goal (finish and enjoy a 1/2 Ironman), and I'm now preparing for my 2012 goal (finish and enjoy a full Ironman).

Before then, I'd like to do either 1 or 2 more 1/2 Ironmans (October '11, April '12).

Thoughts / Guidance?
    Brian

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

Slo

I'm not very tactful so I hope this comes across as a compliment.

Based on your previous 3 - 4 months training volume your finishing time is awesome. Very impressive!

What does not suprise me, based on your training volume, is the amount of time it's taking to recover. I would think though that you should be at the tail end and getting mojo back.

You gotta keep in mind that you just undertook a pretty significant endurance event. I really didn't see in your log where you mimicked much of what the race day volume would be.

Man though, with your overall time you'd rock your AG with some added volume.

I'm not very tactful so I hope this comes across as a compliment.

Based on your previous 3 - 4 months training volume your finishing time is awesome. Very impressive!

What does not suprise me, based on your training volume, is the amount of time it's taking to recover. I would think though that you should be at the tail end and getting mojo back.

You gotta keep in mind that you just undertook a pretty significant endurance event. I really didn't see in your log where you mimicked much of what the race day volume would be.

Man though, with your overall time you'd rock your AG with some added volume.

Thank you for the kind words (and I understand the theme of your message).

From a volume perspective, I ran into a couple of challenges in training (#1. Hip Flexor pain during February, #2. A bike accident in March).  I would have liked to have trained more, but I was forced to minimize some of my training in order to get to the starting line.  Also, I avoided all evening workouts so that I'd be able to be around my wife and kids.  My longest training outing was about 4 hours (bike / run), so adding in the additional 1:45 was significant.

I began tracking data on RA beginning 1/1/2011, but I've been training well before then. 

Of the 300+ in my age group for this race, I was pleased to be within 100th and 105th in all 3 disciplines (consistent).

In some of other races that I've been in (1/2 marathons, marathons, oly tri's, etc.), I've hit the "wall", and wanted to quit, or I've limped it home the last 6 miles.  I never felt that in this race at all.

I do feel like I have my "mojo", but I'm surprised that I'm decoupling as much as I am.  In the past, I'd run my training speed 9:00/mile, and I could hold a 145 HR throughout.  Now, it's exceeding 150 if I don't dial it back.  I feel fine in the run and feel "fresh", but the data isn't agreeing with my body.

Thanks,
        Brian

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

Slo

I have never done any heart rate training so I'm not much help there.

Personally, I think the GPS's, heart rate monitors and watt meters hold you and I (the amatuer athlete / weekend warrior) back more than they do to make us better. Admittedly, I'm old school and have pretty much walked away from the triathlon scene because of what it's become...but thats another story.

Injuries suck, man can they side track training. Again, for the time you invested your results are stellar.

What I do know about heart rate though is that having an accelerated heart rate for up to 45 days after an endurance event isn't uncommon. I run strictly by feel. Some days my easy pace might be 8:00/min miles and some days it might be 8:45's.

My best guess is that your body is still in recovery mode. It'll probably be like someone flicked a switch and suddenly everything is aligned again.

First - YOU FINISHED YOUR FIRST HALF IRONMAN - THAT'S BIG NEWS!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!

I did my first last November, but I don't remember a lot of recovery issues.  It very well could be the volume of training.  You pushed your body really what appears to be well beyond what you had done in training.  

Are you getting enough sleep, eating right? Those things can take a pretty heavy toll.  Another thing that I think may be going on with me is allergies.  It's the time of year that although the weather is really nice, sometimes the air is full of some sort of pollen.

Congrats again on a great first Half Ironman!

I'm training for my first Ironman in October (after the half ironman coming up next weekend) and I'm pretty concerned.... I know a marathon is much more than twice as difficult as a half marathon, so I really want to be well trained going into it.