Swim Bike Run

Gear (Read 296 times)

Hey guys,

Been training pretty good the past few months in preparation for the Timberman 70.3 and then IM Arizona in November. I finished Timber in 5:27 last year with a really bad swim and ok bike and good run. I spent all Winter in the pool and that has improved a lot and I have also been on the bike a lot the last few months. Anyways, I rode the Timberman course this past weekend and it was the fastest that I have done it in (think I did it last year 3 times including the actual race).

Just wondering how much time I can expect to shave if I am using the aero helmet and zipp tires? 1mph faster per mile? 1/2 mph faster per mile? Does anyone have any experience or more than me with training on regular tires? I'm thinking I should train with them at least a week or 2 before the race as I don't think I can hold out any longer. 

Slo

Imossible to answer.

What wheels are you running now. That will likely give you the biggest gain.

Chrissie Wellington dosen't need an aero helment. Your faster than a girl right... Wink

The wheels have the potential to knock off minutes. The Aero Helment...That's probably more a matter of faith. If you believe you'll be faster because of it then it will probably make you faster.

A triathlete friend of ours is typically 20-30 seconds out of first in his AG (35-39) on the bike leg in most sprint and olympic tris he competes in. A local pro triathlete (David Thompson) got to talking to him about how to improve his bike time and one of the first questions he asked was: Are you using an aero helemt? Our friend answered "No" and DKT told him that if he started to use one, he would definately make up that 20-30 seconds and possibly more.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Slo

A triathlete friend of ours is typically 20-30 seconds out of first in his AG (35-39) on the bike leg in most sprint and olympic tris he competes in. A local pro triathlete (David Thompson) got to talking to him about how to improve his bike time and one of the first questions he asked was: Are you using an aero helemt? Our friend answered "No" and DKT told him that if he started to use one, he would definately make up that 20-30 seconds and possibly more.

I honestly don't know how he could say that.

There are simply to many factors involed to give that kind of credit to aero helments.

Yes, wind tunnels prove there is less drag but how does that equate to real life.

It's not like we're talking about the TDF where it comes down to 10ths of seconds. In that enviroment you need every advantage. And even here you see guys going out with out aero helments.

Running a proper chain line probably adds just as much advantage. Working on your pedal stroke...I can guarantee you I can come up with 20 - 30 secs in an OLY distance with out spending the $$ on an aero helment.

All I can do is tell you what he told our friend. If he didn't change anything except wearing an aero helemt, he would be right there with the top cyclists in his AG and probably take it.

Thompson is a MIT grad with a degree in Nuclear Science. He uses MIT's wind tunnel from time to time and is regularly one of the fastest on the bike.

I remember T-Bone talking about whether or not he should wear an aero helmet at Kona last year and it came down to potentially overheating with the aero helmet or losing some time and staying cooler with his road helmet and I believe he opted for the roadie.

1. Aero helmet or road helmet: In 2008 I wore an aero helmet. The bike course is so damn windy and hot that I do think the aero helmet provides a significant time-saving; however, the aero helmet is hot and there is no way to pour water on your head during the bike. I'm thinking of wearing a standard road helmet in an effort to stay cool, hoping that will translate into a better run split. I'm willing to sacrifice 5 to 10 minutes on the bike for a good run. It seems to work for Craig Alexander and Chrissie Wellington, but they are freaks.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Slo

Interesting Articles:

http://www.examiner.com/triathlon-in-boise/is-the-aero-helmet-advantage-real

http://teamtimex.timexblogs.com/2006/08/14/aero-helmets-cheap-speed/

Lots and Lots of Pro Aero Helmet stuff out there. Claims of savings seem to be all over the place but at least it's consistant.

After my studies I'd say if the choice was between an Aero Helmet or new wheels. The wheels will make you faster but the helmet is the better value $ for $.

But the wheels will look and sound cooler.

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

After my studies I'd say if the choice was between an Aero Helmet or new wheels. The wheels will make you faster but the helmet is the better value $ for $.

I don't have either, but I would agree with SloHand. 

In talking to the local bike snobs at the local bike shop, however, (the one in town that I don't like to go to), there is a 40k time trial racer on staff that told me that it saves him 30 seconds by having zipp wheels!

I couldn't believe it.  I asked him whether that was 30 seconds per mile (therefore times 24 = 12 minutes)?  He said, "No, it saves 30 seconds for the 40k ride".  Over the course of 24 miles, it saves him 30 seconds (or 1.2 seconds per mile)....  3:00 / mile goes down to 2:58 / mile...

Not a great salesman, apparently!  Anyway, I'm sure that it's more than that for an average Joe like me, but maybe for the top ranking riders, the difference is minimal.

Great question though.  I'd love to know the answer ot the original post.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

Thanks for the responses guys, I'm interested to see how it goes. I have an Olympic tri this weekend as a tune up. I got the Zipp 404's for really cheap since a store was going out of business and I walked in with cash. But I have heard the best "bang for your buck" is the helmet. Who knows, either way I need to ride the damn bike faster than the next person. 

And Chrissie wellington is fast, aero helmet or no aero helmet

T-Bone

Puttin' on the foil

Disclaimer - what follows is my opinion based on experience and untrustworthy internet research.

The 404 Zipp wheelset will make you faster.  Probably lighter and more aero than training wheels.  The aero helemt will also make you faster, unless it causes you to over heat.  (many don't have a lot of ventilation).  At Timberman and IMAZ you should not have a problem with over heating.

It's hard to quantify the time savings, but over an IM race, I think a good aero helmet could save minutes.  See the article below.

Speed for Sale.
                      By Tom Demerly

The first time I saw an aerodynamic time trial helmet I thought, “Those things are cool, but I’d never wear one.” After using an aero helmet once I changed my opinion.

Nothing can make you faster instantly for less money than an aero helmet. A corroboration of studies from Texas A&M University to M.I.T. has accurately quantified the benefit of tear drop shaped aerodynamic time trial helmets. While each of these studies produce varied results about what the time savings actually are the end results are unanimous: An aero helmet saves time. Studies show time savings that range from as little as 30 seconds to as much as 2 minutes over 25 miles (40 kilometers, an Olympic triathlon bike distance).

At an Ironman distance triathlon an aero helmet could save between 3 and 6 minutes.

Don't be obsessed with your desires Danny. The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Home Away From Home

Hey guys,

Been training pretty good the past few months in preparation for the Timberman 70.3...

I am doing Timberman 70.3 with some friends as well for the first time this year. My first HI and 2nd tri ever. I can't wait, super excited. Any advice or lessons learned that you might share to a first timer for the course?  I am heading out in a week or two to bike the course to check it out before race day like yourself. 

MM#5768

"Anyone can do it in ideal conditions"- A quote from a true NE CN runner and friend.

I am doing Timberman 70.3 with some friends as well for the first time this year. My first HI and 2nd tri ever. I can't wait, super excited. Any advice or lessons learned that you might share to a first timer for the course?  I am heading out in a week or two to bike the course to check it out before race day like yourself. 

Nice, Timber is a challenging course. The swim was pretty choppy last year and I hear thats how it always is. The bike is very hilly, the first 12 and last 12 miles have some pretty big climbs. And the run is pretty fair with some smaller rolling hills. Good idea on learning the course before the race, I think it helps more mentally knowing about the hills. 

I saw an article, I think on slowtwitch where race wheels were tested and I remember that going from regular wheels to the best race wheels (Zip 808 on front and I think it was a disk on back), saved 90 seconds over a 40K time trial.  So for an ironman, that would equate to more than 6 minutes.

As with anything, lots of factors would affect this, like cross winds, a hilly course, having to work a second job to pay for the wheels and not being able to train as much...  things like that.

Modified: It was this article from beginner triathlete, and the wheels were HED3 front, and Zip 909 back.  I guess I don't remember well.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=1099