Swim Bike Run

So...I got a bike! (Read 445 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

2010 Cannondale Synapse Féminine 5 (alloy):

Her name is Oberon, but we will call her Oby, for short (DH's bike is Ruby the Roubaix).  She will have orange bar tape to match the label on my very favorite adult beverage:

Is it wrong? 

Leave it to me to get a road bike on the brink of the most shiteous time of the year to ride in MI. Tongue

Fitting went well.  My bike will be a 48cm.  Apparently I was a very easy fit, which kind of surprised me.  I have squatty legs and a long torso, but overall I guess I am not as weirdly proportioned as I had thought--at least not in terms of fitting a bike.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Me and my gang in Breck

WOW! Congratulations, that looks like a sweet ride. Are those the shifters on the ends of the brake levers?

That which does not kill us makes us stronger. Neitzsche "Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go." "Dedication and commitment are what transfer dreams into reality."

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

WOW! Congratulations, that looks like a sweet ride. Are those the shifters on the ends of the brake levers?

Yep! Big grin

~ Sarah Kay

The voice of mile 18

she (he?) looks delicious. enjoy

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

Sooo jealous!  I'm still using a 1980's Schwinn.  I want a new bike, I need a new bike, I DESERVE a new bike.

(Oh maybe I should stop taking vacations then I would have the money for that new bike Smile  )

Great ride zoomy, you'll have to set up a trainer so you can use it some over the winter.

Ginny 'Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there' Will Rogers
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ha, DH even bought a new trainer yesterday...a nicer fluid trainer than the one he had (which I think is magnetic).  That way we can both ride our "nowhere bikes" together this Winter.

Oh, and I think I will be ending up with a pair of Sidi Dominator shoes--men's, since I have such a wide foot.  I thought about road shoes and pedals, but I wouldn't even be able to walk across a parking lot in road shoes.  I figured the mtn. shoes would be a little bit more useful when we ride up north and want to duck into a restaurant for a snack and most of the riders I know have gone with off-road shoes simply to be able to walk a tiny bit in them when necessary.  I have Shimano SPD pedals for the new bike.  I'd used SPD pedals briefly on my crappy mtn. bike, so re-acclimating myself to those shouldn't be too bad.

~ Sarah Kay

Nice ride Zoom...good thing is you can get the shifting down on the trainer for spring.  Smile
                Happy Running,
                Troy
                "Start with your Head, Finish with your Heart!"

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Nice ride Zoom...good thing is you can get the shifting down on the trainer for spring.  Smile

That's exactly what DH has said.  As well as getting good with the pedals.  No way I want to crash my pretty baby.  I think I would cry.  She is a thing of beauty and I know I'm gonna be bummed by the first ding or paint chip.

~ Sarah Kay

That's exactly what DH has said.  As well as getting good with the pedals.  No way I want to crash my pretty baby.  I think I would cry.  She is a thing of beauty and I know I'm gonna be bummed by the first ding or paint chip.

I was thinking about the pedals because I started with SPD on my mtn ride, then when I got the road bike this Spring I went to LOOKS and I think they're easier to clip in and out than SPD.  Just my opinion though.

Happy Running,
                    Troy
                    "Start with your Head, Finish with your Heart!"

Nice Bike Zoom, I think you need and orange saddle on "Oberon".

I'd take a serious look at some speedplay pedals. I've had lots of people tell me that they are much more friendly to your knees when clipping out of them. Less torque is put on your knee and they float (right and left) a little more if you don't like not being able to move around some.

You can get speedplays in orange also. That would look sick with the orange saddle, tires and bar tape.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'd take a serious look at some speedplay pedals. I've had lots of people tell me that they are much more friendly to your knees when clipping out of them. Less torque is put on your knee and they float (right and left) a little more if you don't like not being able to move around some.

You can get speedplays in orange also. That would look sick with the orange saddle, tires and bar tape.

Ha, that would look great (and the shop had those exact pedals)!  Only problem with Speedplay pedals is that they require road-specific shoes.  I don't know that I want to be locked into a shoe that won't let me walk a short ways here and there.  It's something I definitely would consider, though I hope to do a few century rides and such next year and that will mean quite a few times when I will be off the bike and getting meals at various stops that will require walking a little bit on a mix of terrain, most likely.

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Nice Bike Zoom, I think you need and orange saddle on "Oberon".

I know someone carries an orange saddle...I think either Nashbar or PerformanceBike have had that.  It's a cheapie, but it would be pretty cool.  It's very tempting. Big grin

~ Sarah Kay

Ha, that would look great (and the shop had those exact pedals)!  Only problem with Speedplay pedals is that they require road-specific shoes.  I don't know that I want to be locked into a shoe that won't let me walk a short ways here and there.  It's something I definitely would consider, though I hope to do a few century rides and such next year and that will mean quite a few times when I will be off the bike and getting meals at various stops that will require walking a little bit on a mix of terrain, most likely.

They do make a cleat cover so you can walk around some. Not real sure how well they work, but my wife walks around in her shimano cleated shoes from her Ultegra peadls all the time. Normally if we are going on a ride that we know we'll be doing a bit more walking walking, one of use will put our shoes in a back pack, along with some water and snacks for along the way. The other person (usually me) brings the camera backpack.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life