Swim Bike Run

USAT Penalty System (Read 370 times)

ironTriKev

IronMan ;)

Well, I got my first penalty at the National Duathlon Championships yesterday. I know exactly where it happened and like almost everyone who is penalized, I don't believe I deserved it. Here are the facts from my seatpost: Making a more than 90 degree turn that climbs up to a highway a female rider attempts a pass. This part of the course is a small climb and I stand to maintain speed up to the top. The female passing rider's front edge of her wheel never passes the hub of my front wheel and she drops back. USAT official comes by at that point and I see the official looking back and writing. IMHO the official was not in the correct position to see if the female rider had a wheel overlap. At the venue I do not find a place where penalties are posted (the transition area is huge). So here are my issues. 1. I am not informed of my penalty until much later that evening when it is posted on-line so I can't make my case to the head referee in person. 2. No information is given about the penalty, (just 2:00 minutes) so I'm not sure this is the incident that stick out in my mind. so how can I learn from this? 3. I could protest the penalty (I won't because it really won't change anything but a few places) but how would I do so. There is no contact information so I can't write to the head referee. I suppose I could contact the RD but you know how that goes, by the time I would actually get the contact information the 10 day window of appeals would probably pass. 4. You can't really protest a "judgment call, article X para. 10.1(a) anyway so you are pretty much at the mercy of the official making the call, right or wrong. Why do I mention this? Not really to whine or complain (although there might be a little of that Wink ), but to note what I see as flaws in the penalty system. Comments anyone?

Tri-Kev Here are my favorite links:
    My "kick @ss" running club ;)

Swim 2.4 miles.
    Ride 112 miles.
    Run 26.2 miles.
    Then brag for the rest of your life.
    -Commander John Collins, Ironman Triathlon creator

The voice of mile 18

I think you should send an email off to the RD to send on to the head ref you should know what the penalty is for so in the future IF it was a real penalty you learn not to do it again. but right now you're just guessing that what it was about.

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

wyerock

I was surprised at Ironman 70.3 Augusta, that they wanted you to stop for penalties.  If the marshal was going to give you a penalty, they would ride up next to you and make sure you acknowledge a color card.  Then at the next station, you were supposed to stop, tell them your penalty, sign your name, and depending on the penalty stand with a stop watch until your penalty was up, then you could continue.

I saw how this helps keep the finish in order, but it seems like all the stopping and such would affect you more than a flat 2 min penalty or such.  Still, it was an interesting idea.

Slo

all of the Ironman events I am famliar with do the same. Your penalty is not dedeucted  from added to your time, you actually serve it out. In wisconsin they have penalty tents prior to entering T2. Obviously, most of the penalties are on the bike portion.
          AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I've actually been wondering what the penalties I see in the results are for.

I'd read about the draft rule, but what I thought I remember doesn't really match what you're describing, so I must not have it right.

Below is my hazy understanding of my vague memory:

Rider A is leading. Rider B approaches from the back. After Rider B gets within some distance (I dunno), then Rider B has a limited time in which he must pass through and get in front, or fall back out of the zone, or else he (Rider B) should be penalized.

Besides asking if anyone is kind enough to correct the above, are there penalties that occur in the swim or run?

What happens if someone cuts the course -- is that a penalty or a DQ or (they have to go back)...?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Slo

Your understanding is almost correct.

And your example brings up a point that's been well argued.

Rider A, lead rider is caught by Rider B. Rider B must maintain a distance of 7 meters in order to avoid a position (drafting) penalty. If he decides to pass he has now opened himself up for a blocking penalty. It is the passers responsibilitie to complete the pass in a timely manner. Once the passers bike breaks the leading edge of the rider being passed, then the rider being over taken must yield or he will now be in danger of a position penalty. (Blocking and / or Drafting) He must also drop back beyond the 7 meter drafting zone.

Common errors of officials. The 15 sec passing rule.

You have as much time as you need to pass. If there is no one coming up behind you and you are passing you should not be in trouble of a blocking violation. The 15 sec's applies to: You are allowed to enter into the drafting envelope as long as you do so and complete a pass in 15 secs. If you start your pass out side of the drafting envelope then the 15 secs does not apply.....only  the blocking penalty. (If there is a rider behind you)

Yes there are penalties on the swim and runand in the transitions. Obstruction, unsportsman like conduct, abandoned equipment, re-entry, unathorized assistance, dangerous behavior off the top of my head.

If you hit a bump and your water bottle gets tossed......technically your supposed to go back after it.

MTA: You can download the rules here