Swim Bike Run

Do I need a bike trainer? (Read 321 times)

I'm looking for the advice from like minded indiviuals to help me justify either buying, or not buying a bike trainer.

I've liked the idea for a while, but is it worth it? Should I get a fluid trainer? I'm open to suggestings on brands as well. Kurt Kenetic? CycleOps?

Thanks for your help.

xhristopher

I'm looking for the advice from like minded indiviuals to help me justify either buying, or not buying a bike trainer.

I've liked the idea for a while, but is it worth it? Should I get a fluid trainer? I'm open to suggestings on brands as well. Kurt Kenetic? CycleOps?

Thanks for your help.

Trainers are obviously a good alternative to the dark, cold, wet, & other times when it's not practical to get out. They should last a while so can be considered a multi year investment. Probably the biggest reason not to get one is to avoid spending the money or if you know you would hate them. If that were the case, you wouldn't be asking the question.

Getting something for infrequent/seasonal use need not break the bank. I've got a 10+ year old Performance Travel Trac and it's still going fine. Never a problem and I'm the type of guy who is good at breaking things. If you are price sensitive the new version isn't that much. Performance has other models in the line that have more features. I've used a friend's Kurt Kenetic and didn't find it any better than my Travel Trac.

Definitely get fluid.

hairshirt knitter

Really useful in the winter here, when it would be dangerous/uncomfortable/impossible to ride on the roads. I use it exclusively 3 x week. I don't have recommendations for make/model, mine is ancient also, but solid and well made (Tacx).

My one recommendation is the small investment in thesufferfest.com to accompany your indoor sessions - definitely helps!

I live in a cold and snowy winter climate so if I'm going to ride, it is indoors. I would much rather be on my own bike, seat then a fitness club cycling machine any day. Fluid would be nice, but not required. I have a set of Kreitler rollers and a Minoura Mag trainer with an adjustable resistance attachment which is nice to have. If you think you would ride more, get one.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

jdais

Good for cold winter days, interval training, when its dark out, or you have limited time.  I use mine 2x a week

Swim , Bike, and Run A LOT

T-Bone

Puttin' on the foil

Short answer is "yes."  I too live in a place where winter is long.  I ride my Computrainer even in the summer however.  You can really get down to business on the trainer - no cars, no stop lights, etc.  It is much safer, IMO, to do intervals on the trainer than on the open road.  If you want to get better at cycling/triathlon, the investment is worth it.

Don't be obsessed with your desires Danny. The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Until recently I never used an indoor trainer. My flat mate recently bought one and after a cold wet miserable day in the saddle I decided to give it a go. I still prefer to ride outside on nice days, but now if the weather turns nasty I have an option to get in some decent training without risking life and limb. It's also a very effective workout as you are on the go all the time. Im using it currently as a way to catch up on all the giro de italia stages ive recorded! So yes. If you are considering one go for it.

Repost from Bike Forum:

Since I live in the Great White North, I do zero riding outside during the late fall through early spring. I've been using various trainers and rollers for a few winters now and mainly have just been riding for saddle time.

About a year ago I discovered a guy that was developing a cycling trainer software program (Peripedal) that would calculate virtual power from an Ant+ speed/cadence sensor and publish power curves from various trainers. The program had some structured workouts that are based off of your cycling Functional Threshold Power and has you ride intervals at a certain percentage of that FTP. I got in as a beta tester for him and after the program was up and running without bugs, I was able to purchase the program at a reduced rate.

I've been using that program along with a CycleOps Fluid 2 trainer I picked up around that same time and really like using both. The program loads up on my laptop and and has a graph that displays HR, cadence, and power as well as the target power levels of the workout. The program also allows the user to watch a movie or Netflix in the programs window as your cycling. Its made a huge difference in my cycling fitness this year and am looking forward to seeing how I improve for next summers racing.

Yesteday I bought myself a new toy. I get a CycleOps PowerBeam Pro trainer with the Virtual Training software. The VT software will basically control the power level (resistance) of the trainer to simulate grade changes while you ride a course. You have the ability to upload a Garmin file and ride any route you have. Its being shipped today so I can't say for sure how well the VT software will work but I can hardly wait to try it out. I asked the developer of the Peripedal program if he had plans to add the PowerBeam Pro to his list of support trainers and if he was considering plans to add the ability of his program to control the PowerBeam. He said he bought himself one last week and will be adding this trainer in the near future. The program supports and controls the Wahoo Kickr already. It can also read the power data from any power meter that broadcasts an Ant+ signal.

Anyone else useing Virtual power, or actual power for their indoor training?

If so, what are you using?

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Funny I literally just started riding with a power meter indoors. Not really sure i know what i'm doing yet with it though. Have talked to a few coaches and probably going to get one as i don't have the time/patience to figure this out on my own.

Anyone else useing Virtual power, or actual power for their indoor training?

If so, what are you using?

Funny I literally just started riding with a power meter indoors. Not really sure i know what i'm doing yet with it though. Have talked to a few coaches and probably going to get one as i don't have the time/patience to figure this out on my own.

If you want to use it while training, looking into Peripedal or TrainerRoad. They both have power based workouts and can read the power of your power meter if its Ant+, with TrainerRoad being the most advanced and complete option. On TR, you can choose from different training plans, ie Base, Build, Peak, 40k TT plan etc. Its also just a small monthly fee. They both offer a free trial period so you might want to check them out.

There may be others out there, these are just the two I'm familiar with.

MTA: The first thing you need to do is calibrate your power meter and I assume that you've done that. The next thing you do is to perform and FTP test. Both Peripedal and TR will have a workout for you to do and then it calculates your FTP. After you have an FTP established. These programs will provide the appropriate wattage for each interval during the workout that you need to target. Its actually pretty simple.

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

When I picked it up at the bike shop the bike guy said that he calibrated it. I've just been on a few rides with it just so I can get a feel as to what is what. Nothing to serious yet. But very soon. I'm excited to use it and ive heard nothing but good things about them. Thanks for the advice, i'll def check that out.

MTA: The first thing you need to do is calibrate your power meter and I assume that you've done that. The next thing you do is to perform and FTP test. Both Peripedal and TR will have a workout for you to do and then it calculates your FTP. After you have an FTP established. These programs will provide the appropriate wattage for each interval during the workout that you need to target. Its actually pretty simple.

What did you get for a power meter?

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

I got a Quarq. I saved up my amazon points from my credit card so I didnt pay full price. I have no clue what im doing with it. Wheres Chaloo at, I know he uses one also. Not gonna lie, I am starting to like the trainer as much as outside. Dont have to worry about lights, cars, stop signs, etc.....

I got a Quarq. I saved up my amazon points from my credit card so I didnt pay full price. I have no clue what im doing with it. Wheres Chaloo at, I know he uses one also. Not gonna lie, I am starting to like the trainer as much as outside. Dont have to worry about lights, cars, stop signs, etc.....

Nice, I can't afford one yet......two kids in college. I'm thinking about going with a used PowerTap laced into a HED Belguim in the spring and use a disc cover for racing. But for now I'll track and train by power on the trainer.

Are you doing the Zero Calibration before each ride? I think you are supposed to do that to compensate for any enviromental changes. But I suppose if its inside on the trainer, there is not alot of temp changes.

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

X2. Power + trainer road + trainer + netflix= MONSTER.  It's as much a test of mental fortitude as it is a physical challenge. If I knew how to post photos I'd show my set up.