Swim Bike Run

Oly Du Training Plans....? (Read 23 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Does anyone have a good one?  I can't find my multi-sport training plan book or a good du plan I found in a magazine, years ago (we just moved, so these are possibly still at the old house or in boxes, somewhere).  If nothing else I will adapt an oly tri plan to include more running in place of the swimming.

I just came off 2 half-marathons and my peak mileage has been a mediocre 25ish miles/week.  Bike miles are totally in the toilet due to neverending Winter, continuing recovery from a busted wrist in late Nov., and near total lack of tolerance for the nowhere bike.  I figure I will be looking at running mileage in the 20-25mpw range by race day and will be doing my first century ride of the year 2 weeks before the race.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

The race organizers suggest this training plan, but it appears geared more towards sprint distance races...I'd have to tweak it for 5k and 10k run legs and the 40k bike.

~ Sarah Kay

There doesn't seem to be much out their for Du's but here's a couple things I found.

http://www.racingunderground.com/training/articles/dutraining.html

http://www.coachtroy.com/public/154.cfm

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yeah, there really isn't much out there.  The magazine plan I've used in the past was in the short-lived HerSports + Fitness magazine and was pretty challenging.  I've also used a good Gale Bernhardt plan...I think both are at the old house.  I've looked at the Coach Troy plan and think I could easily tweak that for the longer distance, so I may just stick with that.

~ Sarah Kay

I'm not an expert at this, and I know I shouldn't respond, but ... Smile

It seems as if you're looking at a 2.5 hour (+/- half hour) event, and you'll want to factor your intensity training to accommodate the time of the event while focusing on some brick workouts occasionally (both run/bike and bike/run).

The training plan could easily be built by yourself, as the intensity of your workouts will likely be more important than the volume of your workouts since it seems as if you're naturally conditioned to train higher volume (miles run and hours biked).

Regarding the specifics, it looks like the plans provided by BT as well as fro the GrandHavenTri site are about as good a template to give you something to work from.

(Grand Haven is beautiful.  Sounds like a great event!  Maybe I ought to drag my family up to see my family for the 4th of July.)

Brian

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'm not an expert at this, and I know I shouldn't respond, but ... Smile

It seems as if you're looking at a 2.5 hour (+/- half hour) event, and you'll want to factor your intensity training to accommodate the time of the event while focusing on some brick workouts occasionally (both run/bike and bike/run).

The training plan could easily be built by yourself, as the intensity of your workouts will likely be more important than the volume of your workouts since it seems as if you're naturally conditioned to train higher volume (miles run and hours biked).

Regarding the specifics, it looks like the plans provided by BT as well as fro the GrandHavenTri site are about as good a template to give you something to work from.

(Grand Haven is beautiful.  Sounds like a great event!  Maybe I ought to drag my family up to see my family for the 4th of July.)

Brian

This is kind of what I'm thinking, too.  Yeah, if I had to guesstimate I'm thinking this will take me about 3 hours, since I'm pretty pokey.  My real concern is that last 10k...I wish they did the 10k first, as most oly distance events are run.  July in MI can be brutally hot/humid for running that late in the morning.

Grand Haven is where we now live.  We moved south from Montague.  It will be really nice to live 10 minutes from a race start, for a change! Tongue It really is a nice community. We lived in Spring Lake for 5 years before moving up to Montague nearly 13 years ago.  Then DH was hired at a company LITERALLY just down the street from where we lived only weeks later.  BAD timing!  That's been a lot of years of long commutes.

~ Sarah Kay

Congratulations on the move!  I hope you enjoy getting back to Grand Haven.

I've done a Olympic Distance triathlon in 95+ degrees, and that was brutal!  Very tough.  It was the first 100 degree day of the year here in Dallas in 2010.

In that case, there was 4 water stops over the 6+ mile run, which is a decent amount of water stops, but since it was a double out and bac, it was the same water station for all athletes (coming from the north and south) and there weren't enough volunteers to fill the cups and place them on the table or hand them to the athletes.  They had 4 ounce cups that were filled 1/2 full, meaning each athlete needed about 28 cups each time they passed the water station in order to fix their dehydration problem.

From that point on, I learned to carry a fuel belt during the events and be self reliant on my fuel as much as possible.  Also, I carry another 16oz water bottle that I'll leave in the transition area that I can use for the run to drink or to cool my core body temperature.

To train for the heat, I would train in the heat, and do a couple of bricks in the mid-afternoon.

Oh, my wife grew up on Spring Lake.  Beautiful!  Her family didn't own a home for a few years during her youth in Michigan.  They owned a 65' yacht that docked in Spring Lake year round and the family would spend the weekends on lake Michigan cruising during the summers.  She has VERY fond memories of both Grand Haven and Spring Lake.  I have less memories from there (since I grew up in Canada), but do recall jumping off the lighthouse pier into the nice cool lake in the middle of the summer a couple years ago.

But, you now have me looking at the family vacation calendar and seeing whether I can head up north for a week.... Smile

This is kind of what I'm thinking, too.  Yeah, if I had to guesstimate I'm thinking this will take me about 3 hours, since I'm pretty pokey.  My real concern is that last 10k...I wish they did the 10k first, as most oly distance events are run.  July in MI can be brutally hot/humid for running that late in the morning.

Grand Haven is where we now live.  We moved south from Montague.  It will be really nice to live 10 minutes from a race start, for a change! Tongue It really is a nice community. We lived in Spring Lake for 5 years before moving up to Montague nearly 13 years ago.  Then DH was hired at a company LITERALLY just down the street from where we lived only weeks later.  BAD timing!  That's been a lot of years of long commutes.

Life Goals:

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Oh, my wife grew up on Spring Lake.  Beautiful!  Her family didn't own a home for a few years during her youth in Michigan.  They owned a 65' yacht that docked in Spring Lake year round and the family would spend the weekends on lake Michigan cruising during the summers.  She has VERY fond memories of both Grand Haven and Spring Lake.  I have less memories from there (since I grew up in Canada), but do recall jumping off the lighthouse pier into the nice cool lake in the middle of the summer a couple years ago.

But, you now have me looking at the family vacation calendar and seeing whether I can head up north for a week.... Smile

Crazy small world!  You should totally come visit.  Wow, to live on a boat...before my DH got heavy into cycling he spent a LOT of time on his uncle's 36' sailboat.  I can't imagine what a 65 footer is like.  That would be pretty roomy.  Very cool experience.

~ Sarah Kay

Crazy small world!  You should totally come visit.  Wow, to live on a boat...before my DH got heavy into cycling he spent a LOT of time on his uncle's 36' sailboat.  I can't imagine what a 65 footer is like.  That would be pretty roomy.  Very cool experience.

I've heard from them that a large 65' boat becomes very small when you live on it.  The square footage is small, the hallways are small, and she was happy to move to a home after living 3,650+/- days on a boat on Spring Lake.

Life Goals: