Swim Bike Run

I want to try a triathlon (Read 18 times)

on my way to badass

So, there is a mini sprint tri near me and a year off.  I want to give it a go.  What should I know?  I'm a runner looking at my first HM in September.  What equipment is crucial?  I will be attempting this expedition on a Mountain bike (there are limits to my funds and I just got it all tuned up).  I'm not looking to win an AG or anything, just finish strong.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

Since it's a sprint triathlon and it's a year away, you'll be fine Smile.

Between now and then, you'll need to be comfortable in the water.  You should be able to swim 1,000 yards comfortably.  At this stage, would you be able to swim 50 yards comfortably?  If so, you'll be fine.  If not, you'll want to get in the pool within the next 30 days or so and begin learning how to swim.  Equipment needs: goggles

(most people struggle the most in the water.  Comfort in the water will take time.  You may want to begin preparing for that sooner rather than later)

For the bike, you can comfortably ride the bike you have.  You'll definitely be slow relative to the others. You'll want to know the 'rules of the road' and be sure that you don't cause accidents as you're riding the race.  Equipment needs: helmet.  All other equipment is not necessary,

For the run, you'll run.  You know how to do that already.  It'll feel different than a regular 5k race, but you'll be fine.

Don't worry too much about the transitions.  Those things will sort themselves out naturally over the next few months.

Cheers,
      Brian

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

Running Rev'd

At my first triathlon this season, a mini-sprint, there were all kinds of bikes from cruisers to super-crazy tri bikes. I thought I would stand out riding a road bike, but another woman blew by me on her hybrid! So you can definitely do it on a mountain bike, particularly if your goal is just to finish strong and get the experience.

Called to Endure - Blog

"Everyone gets the sunset. Only the dedicated earn the sunrise."

So, there is a mini sprint tri near me and a year off.  I want to give it a go.  What should I know?  I'm a runner looking at my first HM in September.  What equipment is crucial?  I will be attempting this expedition on a Mountain bike (there are limits to my funds and I just got it all tuned up).  I'm not looking to win an AG or anything, just finish strong.

To add on kercan said, you'll be fine with what you have.  I did my first tri 5 yr ago with my mountain bike.  It was a local sprint and was a good "newbie" event.  All sorts of bikes from fancy tri bikes to road bikes to mountain bikes.  I remember seeing one with a basket on it even.

A couple of suggestions:

-  Be comfortable in the water with crowds.  If you're a beginner swimmer, spend more time refining form than pounding out yardage.  You'll get your aerobic exercise from the bike and run and you'll gain so much more in the water with getting your form down.  If the swim starts in a wave, don't be afraid to let the masses go and start near the back where it could be less crowded.

-  Do some bricks in your training.  As an example, ride 15-20 miles then do a run of 15 minutes immediately afterwards.  It's a wierd feeling getting off the bike and trying to run right away.  It's good to build these in.

Tris are fun.  Have fun with it.

.... I did my first tri 5 yr ago with my mountain bike.  It was a local sprint and was a good "newbie" event.  All sorts of bikes from fancy tri bikes to road bikes to mountain bikes.  I remember seeing one with a basket on it even.

MBehr,

In April 2009 (5 years ago), I did my first triathlon with a group from my church.  It was a sprint triathlon in a pool, and we had 20+ people all learn how to swim at the same time.

The triathlon had a relay option, and a few of the teens opted for the relay.

After reading your post, I checked to see if you were from Texas and whether you raced the race we raced.

One of our relay teams was a 16 year old girl who was the swimmer, followed by her mother on the bike, and her son for the run.
            The swimmer was a highschool swimmer.
            With a pool swim, you have to estimate your finish time, and that determines your bib# and starting position.  She was swimmer #1 (bib #1).

In the transition area, the mother had position #1 and her bike had a basket on it. The bikes on that rack were filled with great bikes, plus, this light blue beach cruiser with a basket that would hold your puppy dog.  She used a kick stand in the transition area and wasn't able to put it on the rack.  The daughter was the first person out of the water, and the mother was 1 of the first people on the bike course.

I happened to buy a used mountain bike from craigslist 2 weeks before the triathlon that I rode at "13 mph" or thereabout.

I remember being passed by everybody, but I absolutely loved it.

Within a month, I had a road bike / tri bike and was ready for the rest of the season with this new game.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

on my way to badass

Thanks Brian, kmays, and mbehr!  This tri is what I think is a mini-sprint.  Swim-325 yds., bike-10 miles, run-5K.  The swim is open water on a small lake.  I have no problem starting at the back.  I'm a fair swimmer but will probably get a pool membership and some lessons to work on stroke and form.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28