Swim Bike Run

I did what??? (Read 270 times)

IMKY13 finish!!

I just signed up for my first sprint triathlon....I did what???

It's a 300 yard pool swim, 16.5 mile bike, 3 mile run.  It's at the end of August, so I've got four months to train.  I'm not too concerned about the running & biking, it's the swimming that concerns me most...as I swim like a rock.  The good thing about the swim is that it's in a pool so I can always pause and hang on the edge of pool (as opposed to treading water in an open water swim).

Well, it's off to the Y to start my training.

Modified: Correct a couple of typo's

Fitness/weight goals for 2014

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

2) Get to 189 lbs by the end of July 2014...and stay there (as of 4-25-14 was at 203 lbs)

3) Complete Ironman Chattanooga in under 14 hours

4) Break 4 hours in a stand alone marathon (Goal race=Rocket City 12/13/14)

5) 4,500 total overall miles for the year:

Swim: 100 miles

Bike: 3,000 miles

Run: 1,400 miles

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Dude, you're a marathoner...a sprint event is nothing compared to that!  Variety is the spice of life...you are going to have a blast! Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

IMKY13 finish!!

Thanks Zoomy!!!  I read you had a great time at your Duathlon....great job!!!  Glad you were still able to compete despite the weather.

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

2) Get to 189 lbs by the end of July 2014...and stay there (as of 4-25-14 was at 203 lbs)

it's the swimming that concerns me most...as I swim like a rock. 

Haha, I feel where you're coming from as I have been farther then that. You may well swim like a rock, but a rock could swim better then me before I started at my local YMCA on Jan 15th, 2010. Since then I've gone from barely surviving the excruciatingly long 25 yd swim (then a good 60 second breather) across the deep end to the other side of the pool, to swimming a continuous (butterfly turns) 600 yds in 12 minutes just last week. One thing I suggest you do is get a quick lesson or two. My swim really picked up after my second "intro to Lap Swimming/Stroke Improvement" class at the YMCA.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

ironTriKev

IronMan ;)

You'll do great.  RE the swim training. I know a women who really could not swim a stroke, never learned.  When I first saw her she literally moved backward in the water, wish I had a video of that.  She got a coach six weeks ago and now will finish her first sprint in two weeks (25 meter pool swim) won't be the fastest in the water but she will swim it all.

Also remember that not only can you hold on to a wall, you can do the same to the lane line (just don't pull yourself along with the LL) and if it gets really bad there is no rule against walking on the bottom, seriously, I'm a USAT Referee.  No matter what you can do this!

Tri-Kev Here are my favorite links:
            My "kick @ss" running club ;)

Swim 2.4 miles.
            Ride 112 miles.
            Run 26.2 miles.
            Then brag for the rest of your life.
            -Commander John Collins, Ironman Triathlon creator

IMKY13 finish!!

Haha, I feel where you're coming from as I have been farther then that. You may well swim like a rock, but a rock could swim better then me before I started at my local YMCA on Jan 15th, 2010. Since then I've gone from barely surviving the excruciatingly long 25 yd swim (then a good 60 second breather) across the deep end to the other side of the pool, to swimming a continuous (butterfly turns) 600 yds in 12 minutes just last week. One thing I suggest you do is get a quick lesson or two. My swim really picked up after my second "intro to Lap Swimming/Stroke Improvement" class at the YMCA.

How many times a week did you swim?  And how often did you "increase your yardage"?  I am in about the same situation as you were back in January...I can barely make the 25yards and then have to take a breather (about a minute or so).  I feel more winded after swimming 25 yards than I do when I run 5 miles. 

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

Can you use a wetsuit in the pool? They save my butt in the open water Smile

How many times a week did you swim?  And how often did you "increase your yardage"?  I am in about the same situation as you were back in January...I can barely make the 25yards and then have to take a breather (about a minute or so).  I feel more winded after swimming 25 yards than I do when I run 5 miles. 

Check out my log, then click on the calender. I use my garmin to keep track of laps, then fill in the yardage after I upload to RA. I started out two to three days a week during my lunch hour, then added a fourth and fifth when I felt more comfortable in the water. I even called my first workouts "Staying Alive" instead of "freestyle" because surviving was all I was trying to do.

I basically increased yardage when I felt I could push myself to do another lap. I started out doing 300 yards in 20 minutes. I worked my way up to 800 yd workouts, but was still doing 50yd intervals until the second week in March when I added a couple 100 yd intervals.  It seemed like I was stuck at 100 yd intervals for another month. Once the breathing rhythm gets worked out, you can start swimming longer intervals with ease.

One upside I've found to the increase swim endurance is that my running has began to improve right along with the swim. I train by HR (MAF to be exact) and my pace at 140 bpm has steadily increased.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life