Swim Bike Run

What would you consider (Read 369 times)

Slo

To be a reasonable price for a Sprint distance Triathlon.

We have a local USAT Sprint Distance Triathlon. It is well run, great volunteer support, T1 and T2 are at the same spot and has sold out for the last 4 years. Registration has just opened for this June race and there are only 300 slots left. This will be it's 11th year.

I was quite suprised to find that after the online registration fee the price totaled over $70..00......for a sprint Tri !

I opted out.....this would have been my 5th consecutive year but for me.....$70.00 is a little steep. (for a sprint tri)  None of this registration fee is going to the two charities that this race supports.....that is a seperate donation.

Gotta TRI

Hey,

$70.00 for a sprint sounded about right to me so I looked into it. 3  of the sprint distance races in my area range from $75.00-$100.00. I've run 2 of the 3 races. The King Pine Tri is a smaller, privatly run local race that is in it's third year and is growing in popularity. It's kind of an odd ball distance (my opinion ) in that it is: the 1/3 mile swim 12.5 mi bike and 3.8 mi run. 75.00.

The Timberman sprint has been around for some time and is one of those races that just keeps getting better. Impeccably run, always sold out, upwards of 1200 competitors and more standard distance. ( 15mile bike and 3.1 run ) $80.00 if registered before the end of this year, $100.00 after that.

It doesn't seem that racing is getting any cheaper in any facet. Add to that the $250.00 70.3 costs and it can be a very expensive summer!

2010 Dec. California International Marathon 2011 Jan. Disney Marathon
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

A nearby sprint du/tri starts at $45 and increases to $70 as it gets closer to race day.  I'm glad I just looked at that.  I will want to register for this one as soon as it opens.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

protoplasm72

Hard to find a sprint for $70 or less around here.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

My wife is the race director for two local sprint tri's. The smaller of the two has a 55 dollar entry fee up until race day and the larger (400 max) ranges from 45 to 65, depending on when you register. She can get into several others by swapping a spot with other directors.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Slo

After I posted that I looked up my receipt from last year.

$52.00 total.

Race $48.00

On line Fee $1.75

Reg Fee $2.25

This year

Race $65.00

On Line Fee $1.75

Reg Fee $4.25

Total $71.00

I'm assuming the On - line fee is to cover the Credit Cards Companies take and the Reg Fee is Get Me Registered's take.  Off Line printed form mail in is not an option.

This $70 is non -refundable.....even if cancelled due to weather. In that case, part of your registration may be applied to next years entry. You can not sell or transfer your registration. The race isn't until mid June 2010. With my job, I'm taking quite a chance as to my availablity to race any particular weekend.

Like I said, this race has sold out the last three years. It has become very popular for several reasons. The Swim, Bike and Run all have the same transition so logistics is fantastic. The swim start is Time Trial style. Every 4 secs 2 swimmers go off.....The newbies love this...no mass frenzie.....I don't like this start. It is very well run with excellent volunteer support.......I get it...it's popular.....it should be worth more.

In giving it some thought, outside of a little more time I wouldn't expect it to cost a race director much more to do an Oly distance vs a Sprint distance.....Personally I like the Oly distance much better but we don't have any locally so travel is required.....anyway....A better bang for the buck if you ask me. The 2 Oly's i have targeted this year are both $55.00 race fee. At least one accepts mail in entries. A better bang for the buck.

The $65 didn't seem to bad until I completed my on-line form and the other two charges showed up.....That's when I debated.....is $71 really worth it to me. This isn't a tune up race.....It's not a qualifier for anything......I don't know who from my circle will be racing yet......As of today, less than 200 slots left so obviously, theres more than 400 people who don't think it's too expensive.

The voice of mile 18

for the Northeast $70 including online fees would be a very good price.  the philly sprint (phillytri.com)goes for $140 not including fees.

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

I just tried to look up some of the fees from last years races, and couldn't.  $71 does seem a little steep, but I work several times a year for a company that produces Tri's, and can race for free or at most 1/2 price.  If memory serves, most sprints here in the SE start in the $45-60 range.  I don't know how much I could race if I had to pay $70 for a sprint, or $250 for a 1/2!!!!!
                    If it were me, I'd do it based on personal history, and would save money elsewhere. I don't have any streaks like 4 or 5 years at any kind of race (because I've been so inconsistent in the past, but working on fixing that), but it does sound appealing.

Gotta TRI

I just tried to look up some of the fees from last years races, and couldn't.  $71 does seem a little steep, but I work several times a year for a company that produces Tri's, and can race for free or at most 1/2 price.  If memory serves, most sprints here in the SE start in the $45-60 range.  I don't know how much I could race if I had to pay $70 for a sprint, or $250 for a 1/2!!!!!

Throw the name ironman before a race and yes... it's $250.00.

2010 Dec. California International Marathon 2011 Jan. Disney Marathon
                        It's amazing what those seven letters will cost you...
                        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Throw the name ironman before a race and yes... it's $250.00.

I guess that isn't too surprising if one thinks of it on par with 3x the price of a big marathon like Chicago or NYC.  $250 doesn't surprise me, really.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

protoplasm72

It's amazing what those seven letters will cost you...

Ironman is taking over the Spirit of Racine half this year.  Same exact course but $80 more.  The race was very well run before.  I can't imagine what additional benefits they could add that is worth that much.  

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson