Swim Bike Run

saddle recommendations for men (Read 370 times)

For the fellas-

which saddle do you use? I used the one that came with my bike for a year, then, due to pain,  decided to get a new one and got a bontrager based upon the guy at the store's (Helen's, for those local to Los Angeles) recommendation. I've had it for a year, but I don't use it much because it's worse than the original. I've realized this is really effecting my interest in triathlons, because whenever I start getting into it, I become very....uncomfortable. At one point, I went to a man-doctor because of the lingering discomfort.

I've heard that this one is good:

http://triathlonlab.com/product/profile-design-tri-stryke-ti-saddle.html

but would love other recommendations.

protoplasm72

I had some issues with the original saddle my bike came with.  I now use a Koobi saddle but I also adjusted the fit on my bike.  The bike shop raised my handle bars so I don't bend over as much in the aero position.  Those 2 things pretty much fixed my issues.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

Slo

Most saddles have built in relief where it's needed.

This is just a personal opinion but I strongly believe that a proper bike position (fit) is important. Having the seat at the right angle and sitting on it in the right spot.

It does seem that the complaint is usually TT bike related where your position rocks you forward possibly putting more pressure on that one spot that hapens to contain some pretty important nerves and blood flow.

I've personnally have never dealt with the issue. I've had several years with 5000 plus miles on the bike. My last two years haven't been that great.

Find your sit bones and make sure thats where the seat contact is.

This guys a charachter but he knows his bikes. Sit Bones and Saddles

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'm not a guy, but I can attest to the preference for a firm saddle vs. a squishy one.  Having the right size makes a huge difference, too.  I had a very nice Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow...not a squishy saddle and it's essentially the same as the top-selling Terry Butterly saddle.  But it was the wrong shape and size for me.  It was too wide for my sitbones and more pear-shaped, vs T-shaped.

I tried a Specialized Body Geometry Jett (143cm -- the middle size) saddle and haven't looked back.  All of my soft-tissue pain and numbness issues were eliminated.  The SI saddle didn't fit me right at all and even with the hole in the nose I had problems, since it was too big and forced me too far forward, so the bits that needed the pressure-relief from the cut-out weren't actually situated in the right spot.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Thanks for the advice (and link). I probably fit into the category of "any fool can go out and bike 15-20 miles but probably shouldn't." I'll give it a bit more time and then will reevaluate.
              After several attempts on different seats, including going back to my original one (big mistake-vowed to never ride again if I had to use that seat), I've settled on a profile design seat. I wouldn't say it was 'comfortable', but it was manageable for a long ride and I'm sure it will get better with more use.