Swim Bike Run

Branson 70.3 pre-race report (Read 167 times)

IMKY13 finish!!

Okay, the big day is just about here…I am going to do my first half ironman triathlon (1.2 mile swim, 56 mile bike, 13.1 mile run) Sunday.  I have been training hard for this day for 6 months now…and I know that I am ready!!   I have put in many hours & miles in the pool, in the lake, on the bike, and on the roads, greenways and track.

Since this is my first half ironman triathlon, my goal is to finish within the allotted time (8 and ½ hours).  Beyond that, I would like to see myself coming in under 6 and ½ hours.  First up, is the 1.2 mile swim (my swim wave is scheduled to start at 7:20am) will take place in Table Rock Lake...which has crystal clear water (they say you can see for 20 feet…a far cry from the lovely waters of Percy Priest Lake).  My goal here is 45 minutes. 

Then it’s onto the bike….56 miles worth of biking.  If you’ve ever been in the Ozarks, you will know that this will be nothing but hills (I’ll either be going up, or coming down).  All the miles I’ve ridden on the Trace and on my Tuesday evening “Hills from Hell” rides, have prepared me for this….but just how much so remains to be seen.  I’m going to just take it one hill at a time.  My goal here is 3 and ½ hours.

Then it’s onto the half marathon, which is pancake flat as we circle our way around downtown Branson and Branson Landing 3 and ½ times to make up the 13.1 mile course (going by the finish line each lap….as some sort of cruel joke).  My goal here is 2 hours & 6 minutes. 

Between the time spend in transition (I estimate 8 minutes total for T1 and T2), that should get me across the finish line under 6 and ½ hours.  Time will tell. 

Goal

Actual

SWIM

0:45:00

T1

0:05:00

BIKE

3:30:00

T2

0:03:00

RUN

2:06:59

TOTAL

6:29:59

I’ll update with actual times as quickly as I can.

Fitness/weight goals for 2014

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

2) Get to 189 lbs by the end of July 2014...and stay there (as of 4-25-14 was at 203 lbs)

3) Complete Ironman Chattanooga in under 14 hours

4) Break 4 hours in a stand alone marathon (Goal race=Rocket City 12/13/14)

5) 4,500 total overall miles for the year:

Swim: 100 miles

Bike: 3,000 miles

Run: 1,400 miles

I'm looking forward to your update: it looks to be an awesome weekend.
        Enjoy every second of every mile! I hope you leave that race wanting more (or another). I look forward to your post race report. Brian

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

So, how was it? I look forward to hearing about it.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life