Swim Bike Run

Total Immersion (Read 229 times)

I took an hour total immersion class at MIT this last weekend. There is an instructor there that charges $40 an hour for private lessons. My swim really sucks and I can use all the help I can get. Has anyone tried total immersion and can comment about whether it is worth the money or not. Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

Slo

$40/hour for private lessons is a good deal ! A typical TI workshop......16hrs over a weekend usually goes for $500 - $600. For the most part I am self taught / self coached.......I have the TI DVD and Book and I will say it helps but nothing can replace the one on one instruction. The principles are pretty basic and will teach you to get through the water more efficiently. Even if you take just a couple of lessons I think it'll be a good investment. When you say your swimming really sucks......can you elaborate ? MTA: I just joined this group yesterday...... http://www.runningahead.com/groups/swimmers/
        As far as my swimming goes, I think my form is fairly good, but I am slow and wear out rapidly. In my masters class I am one of the slowest and tire easily. My aerobic health is good. I can bike forever and run well (when not injured), but my swim sucks. Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

seeEricaRun

Awesome

Are you on the MIT masters team? I shot them an email about joining recently, but I haven't heard back. I spent a lot of time with the Total Immersion book last fall, and it helped a lot - but I agree with SLO_HAND. I thought my (non-TI) personal instruction was MUCH more helpful, just because of the feedback. Personally, I would do it just because $40 is cheap, and it couldn't hurt. If you go once and don't like it, just don't go back.
          T-Bone

Puttin' on the foil

I tried TI several years ago. It was good because as a new swimmer, it helped me get comfortable in the water. Balance, breathing, stuff like that. I've had to "unlearn" some of the ideas in the beginner's program, but I would definitely recommend it to anyone who's just starting out and wants to get comfortable being in the water. I agree with what's been said that 1 on 1 coaching is a great way to go. I used to pay a local pro triathlete $20 per half hour, so the price seems right.

Don't be obsessed with your desires Danny. The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'