Swim Bike Run

Weight Training for 1/2 Ironman? (Read 82 times)

dmfitz2

Hey Group -

Long time runner diving head first back into triathlons after a 7 year hiatus.  I'm really stoked to get back into the water and earn some saddle sores!

Anyways, what's your take on weight training on top of all of the hours of swim, bike, run?  I'm using the BeginnerTriathlete 1/2 Ironman program, but definitely want to incorporate some body weight/light weight lifting along the way, especially during my base building periods.  My race isn't until August of this year, so I have plenty of time.

My initial thoughts are to toss in two days a week of full body (back, chest, legs, abs) and cut that down to 1 day a week once my training starts to really ramp up.

Any feedback would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance!

Fitz

00:20:20 5k (2008)

1:47:00 Half Marathon (2009)

4:00:45 Marathon (2011)

2013 Goals

Steelhead 1/2 Ironman 8/4/13 (6:32:24)

Sub 4:00 Chicago Marathon 10/13/13

I personally do not do any lifting more then the occasionally 12oz. curl. I have a weight lifting background and already carry too much muscle so there is no need to build more, I could actually benefit from losing some.

Anyway, you probably can't go wrong with a weight program from Mark Allen.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

I think thats a good plan. I'm also trying to do 2-3 days a week now and then cut down to 1-2 once the Spring/Summer starts. I feel that the lifting helps with biking and my body overall feels better. Also maybe try to incorporate some plyometrics now and taper down those also.

jdais

Weights 2-3x/week during base.  Weights 1x a week during season.  Core workouts 2x a week

Swim , Bike, and Run A LOT