Swim Bike Run

race report (Read 23 times)

IMKY13 finish!!

Completed my second triathlon of the season yesterday (Music City Triathlon-Olympic distance).  I was using it as a warm-up for Ironman Louisville on August 25.  Overall, I was quite happy with the results as I finished it in 3:00:38.

Swim (1,500 meters): Did this leg in 33:03 (2:12 per 100 meters).  I was thrilled with this time.  My goal going in here for the swim was 38 minutes, so I crushed that.  I did this same event last year and had a 2:43 per 100 meter avg (last was shortened to 1,000 meters).  Also, in May of this year, I did a triathlon that had a 1,600 meter swim in a time of 40:30 (2:31 per 100 meters)…and that swim was wet-suit legal (meaning free speed).  So, I have made some major improvements in my swim.

T1: 5:15 (last year was 5:19), so I was pretty consisted here.   Need to pick up a minute or two here….still trying to figure this one out.  Overall I am happy with transition time.

Bike (24.86 miles): Completed this in 1:26:02 (17.3 MPH avg)…my goal for this leg was 1:27:00, so I beat my goal here as well.  Last year I did it in 1:27:42 (17 MPH avg)….so I see improvement on my biking as well.

T2: 2:04 (last year was 2:04), so definitely consistent there.  I don’t think there is much room for improvement here…happy with 2 minutes.

Run (6.2 miles): 54:16 (8:46 pace).  This is a very hilly run portion (as we do two loops) and starts with a very decent incline up and over a pedestrian bridge).  Last year did this in 1:06:18 (10:41), so almost a two minute per mile pick-up there.  Really pleased with this as I am feeling stronger & stronger off the bike.  And it’s not because I am slowing on the bike either, as my speeds are increasing on it too.

I think the biggest reason for the marked improvement in bike & run times from 2012 vs. 2013 is because I am about 20lbs lighter in 2013 vs. 2012….and that makes a huge difference.  Now it’s onto my biggest training week in prep for Ironman Louisville (just 4 weeks away yesterday).

Fitness/weight goals for 2014

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

2) Get to 189 lbs by the end of July 2014...and stay there (as of 4-25-14 was at 203 lbs)

3) Complete Ironman Chattanooga in under 14 hours

4) Break 4 hours in a stand alone marathon (Goal race=Rocket City 12/13/14)

5) 4,500 total overall miles for the year:

Swim: 100 miles

Bike: 3,000 miles

Run: 1,400 miles

You're definately improving so keep on doing what you're doing as its working for you. That run differnece is amazing and "yes" the weight makes a differnce but not that much. I'd give the majority of the run improvement to better fitness.

Good luck at Louisville.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Blondie

Paul, the bike was long, my Garmin had 26.6 miles and several in my group said this was an accurate number.  Good talking with you about the Monkey during the race. I tried to keep up with your pace, but could not, so really nice run.

ps, i also had 1640 yards on my Garmin, but could be because of bad navigation and current.

-Chris

I'd agree with BT.  It seems as if you're doing well and putting in some good volume.

Great job with the Olympic and the quality performance this past weekend.

Well done.

That's a solid run to cap off a 3 hour workout!  Great job, and enjoy the final preparation before IM.

Brian

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

Paul, the bike was long, my Garmin had 26.6 miles and several in my group said this was an accurate number.  Good talking with you about the Monkey during the race. I tried to keep up with your pace, but could not, so really nice run.

ps, i also had 1640 yards on my Garmin, but could be because of bad navigation and current.

-Chris

Chris,  you can't call it a triathlon if you do the swim on Monday, and the Bike / Run on Sunday Smile
            (as soon as he corrects it, this post won't make sense, but for the record, the swim was entered as a swim this morning)

MTA: that downhill bike portion looks like fun.  2 miles with an average of 29.75MPH!!! wow.

Cheers,

Life Goals:

Blondie

Brian - LOL, nice catch.

It was a river swim, pretty nice current for the upstream, but the downstream felt like that bike part going down hill, it was FAST...

-Chris

IMKY13 finish!!

Chris,  you can't call it a triathlon if you do the swim on Monday, and the Bike / Run on Sunday Smile
                (as soon as he corrects it, this post won't make sense, but for the record, the swim was entered as a swim this morning)

Oh, thanks for letting me know.  Guess that what happens when I enter data on a Monday morning & forgot to change the date.  It's now been corrected in my log :-)

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

2) Get to 189 lbs by the end of July 2014...and stay there (as of 4-25-14 was at 203 lbs)

IMKY13 finish!!

-Chris

I kind of thought the bike portion might have been long.  That makes be happier, since my avg MPH is now at about 18.5 MPH....that sounds reasonable.  Also, 1,640 yards equates to 1,490 meters...so your swim was a tad short :-)

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

IMKY13 finish!!

I'd agree with BT.  It seems as if you're doing well and putting in some good volume.

Great job with the Olympic and the quality performance this past weekend.

Well done.

That's a solid run to cap off a 3 hour workout!  Great job, and enjoy the final preparation before IM.

Brian

Thanks!!!

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

IMKY13 finish!!

When I was at around mile 4 or the run, I was trying to calculate my estimated finish time & was thinking around 3:04 or so.  If I had known I was going to be that close (39 seconds) in breaking 3 hours...I think I could have picked up those 39 seconds over the last two miles.  Oh well....onto IMLOU

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

Oh, thanks for letting me know.  Guess that what happens when I enter data on a Monday morning & forgot to change the date.  It's now been corrected in my log :-)

Paul, that was Chris I was talking about.  But, your swim is missing still (or not visible on 7/28/2013).

Life Goals:

When I was at around mile 4 or the run, I was trying to calculate my estimated finish time & was thinking around 3:04 or so.  If I had known I was going to be that close (39 seconds) in breaking 3 hours...I think I could have picked up those 39 seconds over the last two miles.  Oh well....onto IMLOU

For IMLOU, be careful trying to think during the run like that.

You'll have plenty of time, but it's mind-numbing trying to do that math while in your 10th, 11th, 12th, or whatever hour.  It's crazy hard to guess your finish time.  You can smile about how hard it is to do the math knowing that it shouldn't be hard.

Best wishes at IMLOU.

I trust that you have a great nutrition plan and got good guidance regarding salt intake and other calories for the day.  Trust your prerace strategy and execute on it!  Enjoy.

Life Goals:

IMKY13 finish!!

Paul, the bike was long, my Garmin had 26.6 miles and several in my group said this was an accurate number.  

I just used the "create map" feature of RA here and it came out to be 26.5 miles....so I am going to stick with that!

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

Blondie

Overall: 15:27:54

CONGRATULATIONS, PAUL, ON YOUR FINISH !!!!

Paul,

Awesome job!  Congratulations.

Life Goals: