Swim Bike Run

Training plan mileage ? (Read 222 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ok, I know the old "more running = better" adage, but is this always true?  Is it also true for cycling?

I have a couple of intermediate duathlon plans that I'm playing with.  Both top out at maybe 90 minutes for the bike workouts.  But I know that once the roads are clear that I'm going to have a difficult time not going out for 2 hours or more on my sweet ride.  As it is I'm building a bit more mileage into the first half or so of the plan, since it starts with no more than 30 minute runs and 45 minute bikes...it takes me 30 minutes just to feel warmed-up.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Slo

Ok, I know the old "more running = better" adage, but is this always true?  Is it also true for cycling?

I have a couple of intermediate duathlon plans that I'm playing with.  Both top out at maybe 90 minutes for the bike workouts.  But I know that once the roads are clear that I'm going to have a difficult time not going out for 2 hours or more on my sweet ride.  As it is I'm building a bit more mileage into the first half or so of the plan, since it starts with no more than 30 minute runs and 45 minute bikes...it takes me 30 minutes just to feel warmed-up.

Yep.....More is better. Running, Biking, Swimming.

Long rides aren't quite the same as long runs and generally speaking, long swims don't get you faster....swimming faster gets you faster which is true of biking too. (And running but I'm not going there)

It always comes down to base though.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Cool.  That's what I thought, but I didn't want to risk shooting myself in the foot by doing 2-3 hour rides on the weekend once the weather improves.

~ Sarah Kay

T-Bone

Puttin' on the foil

No matter what distances you are planning to race, 2-3 hour endurance rides are important.  Keep the long rides fun.  You will not be shooting yourself in the foot.  A steady diet of consistent long rides over a long period (months and even a few years) is what will build that deep endurance base.  Everything else grows from that base.

Don't be obsessed with your desires Danny. The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

No matter what distances you are planning to race, 2-3 hour endurance rides are important.  Keep the long rides fun.  You will not be shooting yourself in the foot.  A steady diet of consistent long rides over a long period (months and even a few years) is what will build that deep endurance base.  Everything else grows from that base.

I love long rides, anyhow--at least once the weather is a bit warmer.  I am shooting for my first century of the year in June (I may actually do 2 in June, then another in July, and one in Oct.), anyhow, so I'd need to be doing longer rides this Spring to be ready for that.

~ Sarah Kay

Slo

Zoomy

Here's a good training ride; http://cirrem.blogspot.com/

Low Key, ran by beer drinkers......raced by beer drinkers. Any race that starts and ends at a bar is gonna be good.

And what T-Bone said is Spot on......I wish I would have emphasized the base more but that's really what it's all about.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Zoomy

Here's a good training ride; http://cirrem.blogspot.com/

Low Key, ran by beer drinkers......raced by beer drinkers. Any race that starts and ends at a bar is gonna be good.

That looks so fun!  We have the Barry-Roubaix...my next bike WILL be a CX bike.

~ Sarah Kay