Swim Bike Run

Bike Trainers (Read 385 times)

IMKY13 finish!!

Okay, how hard is it to install a bike on a bike trainer for an “idiot” like me?  Also, anyone know where we can get a relatively inexpensive but decent trainer.  Thanks!!

Fitness/weight goals for 2014

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

2) Get to 189 lbs by the end of July 2014...and stay there (as of 4-25-14 was at 203 lbs)

3) Complete Ironman Chattanooga in under 14 hours

4) Break 4 hours in a stand alone marathon (Goal race=Rocket City 12/13/14)

5) 4,500 total overall miles for the year:

Swim: 100 miles

Bike: 3,000 miles

Run: 1,400 miles

protoplasm72

Righty tighty, lefty loosey.  That is the extent of the knowledge needed to put my bike on my trainer.  

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

Easy to setup, what protoplasm said, play around with it. Got mine from amazon.com, kurt kinetic trainer, like it as much as you can like a trainer.

http://www.amazon.com/Kurt-Kinetic-Machine-Indoor-Trainer/dp/B000BNCA0Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1292897886&sr=8-1

My trainre has a lever. Push it down to lock it in, pull it up totake it out.

I like my rollers alot more then the trainer though.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

T-Bone

Puttin' on the foil

I use a Computrainer.  It's the best piece of equipment I have ever purchased (well, except my bike itself).  Cycleops makes some really good trainers.  They have a wide range of prices.

Don't be obsessed with your desires Danny. The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

I use a Computrainer.  It's the best piece of equipment I have ever purchased (well, except my bike itself).  Cycleops makes some really good trainers.  They have a wide range of prices.

Oh if I just had 1500+ laying around I'd have myself one too. I wish I knew someone that had one so I could give it a roll.

Do you know anyone with the Tracx Forius or i-Magic Virtual trainers?

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Marathonmanleto

Troy,

I'm considering an investment in some form of power based training.  My question is would I be better off purchasing a Cycleops Power meter and riding my trainer in winter or going for a Computrainer and foregoing the Powermeter for now.  I will be ramping up training for Lake Placid.  Really need work on the bike.  

T-Bone

Puttin' on the foil

Joe - let me give you my history and maybe it will give you some ideas. First - a disclaimer.  I don't golf and I don't ski (anymore) and with the exception of playing the guitar, I really don't have any other outside interests. So I don't have any reservations about spending money on bike gear.  I also have a wife who is into the same things so she is supportive of these stupid things. 

I come from a running background. In 2004, my wife got a bike and did some triathlons. Watching her do that got me excited and I wanted to give it a go. In 2005 I bought a bike and did a couple duathlons. In 2006, I learned to swim and did an Olympic tri and a half. That summer I also signed up for my first Ironman. In August of that year (2006) I went in with a buddy and we both purchased Computrainers. They were offering a deal if you bought two, so we jumped on it. I started riding the Computrainer right away and found the watt number interesting, but I didn't know what to do with it. I would just hop on the trainer and record the average watts when I was done. Initially I paid more attention to my heart rate than watts.

Since that time, I ride the Computrainer several times every week, even during the summer. Because of my family situation, a lot of my rides happen very early in the morning. The Computrainer is perfect for that and there is no risk of crashing.  No cars, no stop signs, no mercy. Since I initially purchased the Computrainer, I now rely more on watts in training and racing. In training, I use watts to guide my interval efforts. For instance, yesterday I rode intervals where I tried to keep my watts between 260 and 270. Rest intervals were at 200.

This spring, I got my first power meter, the PowerTap SL+. I had my local bike shop lace it into my existing race wheels and I trained and raced on those all summer. At this point, power numbers are very important to me in training and racing. The PT has made me a better rider AND I run better off the bike because I can closely contol my effort on the bike.

A piece of me wants to advise you to buy a PT and simply ride your bike with the power meter on an indoor trainer. That way you would be able to have power when riding outside and while racing. However, given where you live (Michigan) I am leaning toward telling you to buy a Computrainer. The quality of your indoor rides will be exponentially higher if you have a Computrainer, and given your locale you'll be doing a lot of indoor riding. The only downside to this is that when you ride outside and on race day you will not have your power meter. You'll have to use your heart rate as a gauge for your effort when riding outside. But during the winter, you will be able to dial that in. I can't imagine doing a three or four hour indoor ride without the Computrainer.  Later you can purcgase a power meter for outdoor riding.

I love my PowerTap.  I love my Computrainer more.  Hope that helps.

Don't be obsessed with your desires Danny. The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Joe - let me give you my history and maybe it will give you some ideas. First - a disclaimer.  I don't golf and I don't ski (anymore) and with the exception of playing the guitar, I really don't have any other outside interests. So I don't have any reservations about spending money on bike gear.  I also have a wife who is into the same things so she is supportive of these stupid things. 

I come from a running background. In 2004, my wife got a bike and did some triathlons. Watching her do that got me excited and I wanted to give it a go. In 2005 I bought a bike and did a couple duathlons. In 2006, I learned to swim and did an Olympic tri and a half. That summer I also signed up for my first Ironman. In August of that year (2006) I went in with a buddy and we both purchased Computrainers. They were offering a deal if you bought two, so we jumped on it. I started riding the Computrainer right away and found the watt number interesting, but I didn't know what to do with it. I would just hop on the trainer and record the average watts when I was done. Initially I paid more attention to my heart rate than watts.

Since that time, I ride the Computrainer several times every week, even during the summer. Because of my family situation, a lot of my rides happen very early in the morning. The Computrainer is perfect for that and there is no risk of crashing.  No cars, no stop signs, no mercy. Since I initially purchased the Computrainer, I now rely more on watts in training and racing. In training, I use watts to guide my interval efforts. For instance, yesterday I rode intervals where I tried to keep my watts between 260 and 270. Rest intervals were at 200.

This spring, I got my first power meter, the PowerTap SL+. I had my local bike shop lace it into my existing race wheels and I trained and raced on those all summer. At this point, power numbers are very important to me in training and racing. The PT has made me a better rider AND I run better off the bike because I can closely contol my effort on the bike.

A piece of me wants to advise you to buy a PT and simply ride your bike with the power meter on an indoor trainer. That way you would be able to have power when riding outside and while racing. However, given where you live (Michigan) I am leaning toward telling you to buy a Computrainer. The quality of your indoor rides will be exponentially higher if you have a Computrainer, and given your locale you'll be doing a lot of indoor riding. The only downside to this is that when you ride outside and on race day you will not have your power meter. You'll have to use your heart rate as a gauge for your effort when riding outside. But during the winter, you will be able to dial that in. I can't imagine doing a three or four hour indoor ride without the Computrainer.  Later you can purcgase a power meter for outdoor riding.

I love my PowerTap.  I love my Computrainer more.  Hope that helps.

Great explanation. I'll remember this when I'm ready to make that level ($) of commitment.

Yea you got me sold T-Bone. Bought a trainer last year and have been using it. Saw a Computrainer at the 1/2 Ironman that I did this past August and fell in love with it. Lets hope I get a good tax return this year and maybe I'll get one. 

Marathonmanleto

Troy, Thank you for the advice. I do spend a lot of time indoors,so a computrainer may be the plan. Oh, I should mention that my local bike shop has a computraining group that I could join. For 200.00/mo I could ride the computrainer twice weekly and have a coach plan my workouts. I'm a pretty disciplined guy though,so I'm not sure that I need that. It is available though. Still weighing that as an option.
                        xhristopher

T-Bone, Thanks for sharing that info on the Computrainer. Just one problem now, I want one.

T-Bone, Thanks for sharing that info on the Computrainer. Just one problem now, I want one.

might as well get two and store one at my house. I'll make sure its working for you too.

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

I've beening eyeing an Ascent Fluid Trainer that's on sale for $129 right now.  Has anyone had any experience with it?

Ginny 'Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there' Will Rogers