Swim Bike Run

Galena Tri RR (Read 135 times)

Slo

Galena Triathlon Sprint Distance Swim: 660 Yds Bike: 18.5 Miles Run: 4.3 miles Mid week the weather was looking horrible for this race. Cold, Rain and Winds. The RD must have been getting several inquiries about refunds and what not because the website conspicuously posted in bold the No Refund No Rain Check Policy. The front came thru sooner than expected. The forecast was chilly and windy but now we would have sun! 800 participants showed up. (There is a Du-Athlon with this that drew another 600 people) Water temp was 63 deg. Winds were 18 mph out of the North….Mostly head winds for the bike. Race starts at 9:00am on the button…..It’s never been late in my 5 years here. Swim waves go off every three minutes like clock work. My wave was at 9:42. I use this time to get some warm up in the water. 63 deg is cold….it took my breath away when I first submerged myself but you do get accustomed to it. Average swim for me. I did get behind two guys zig zagging that I never was able to get by. I need to work on my surge. Probably added 2 mins or more. When I rounded the last buoy the sun was directly in my eyes on my breathing stroke. Blinding me and making it impossible to site. I need to work on by-lateral breathing. The Bike is hilly. Big climbs, big downhills, 90 deg corners….very technical and very fun! Except for the 18 mph head winds and cross winds. Never once at your back ! The Run was also very scenic. A new course with some very nice hills. I do well on hills so these are welcomed. I don’t like them.....but I do pass many people on hills and this is a race. A final climb of 200 yds at 11% incline……Damn! What a *&%$& that was! The important stuff: Final 2:01:49 225 / 800 *Swim 14:38 468 / 800 T1 3:19 231 / 800 Bike 1:07:25 214 / 800 T2 2:44 383 / 800 Run 33:42 197 / 800 Age group stats not posted yet. Links to race photos: Bike http://www.midwestactionphotos.com/mp_client/pictures.asp?action=viewphotos&size=fullsize&pagenum=760&id=4711845&eventid=56961 Run: (what is she pointing at?) http://www.midwestactionphotos.com/mp_client/pictures.asp?action=viewphotos&size=fullsize&pagenum=465&id=4714271&eventid=56964 Swim http://www.midwestactionphotos.com/mp_client/pictures.asp?action=viewphotos&size=fullsize&pagenum=710&id=4715722&eventid=56966
    db7

Tough conditions for any race. Good job toughing it out. DB

Tougher than most, dumber than the rest. "You can not count the miles until you feel them" TVZ

ironTriKev

IronMan ;)

Great job in chilly water, winding riding and hilly running!

Tri-Kev Here are my favorite links:
        My "kick @ss" running club ;)

Swim 2.4 miles.
        Ride 112 miles.
        Run 26.2 miles.
        Then brag for the rest of your life.
        -Commander John Collins, Ironman Triathlon creator

The voice of mile 18

the finish sounds brutual. RD's can be such evil SOB's congrats on a great race

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

pitrunner

A windy, hilly bike leg sounds like my worst nightmare! Excellent job in tough conditions all around!