Swim Bike Run

Ironman Training (Read 29 times)

IMKY13 finish!!

When training for ironman (specifically your first one)…what is the longest “long run” that you’ll do?  I’ve seen from 15 miles to 18 miles as the longest….what does everyone think?  Thanks!!

Fitness/weight goals for 2014

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

2) Get to 189 lbs by the end of July 2014...and stay there (as of 4-25-14 was at 203 lbs)

3) Complete Ironman Chattanooga in under 14 hours

4) Break 4 hours in a stand alone marathon (Goal race=Rocket City 12/13/14)

5) 4,500 total overall miles for the year:

Swim: 100 miles

Bike: 3,000 miles

Run: 1,400 miles

I did up to 20 but I like running the most and its my steongest. Everyones different and Ive also seen differen plans. With that tho, I could do 20 and not miss a week or a few days of training. I would take the day after easy but not off.

warner

Hi Pablo

I recommend an excellent book for Ironman - "going long". As a novice Ironman, and during the base period, it is recommended your long run is based on duration rather than distance. You would aim to build upto 2 - 2.5 hours and then raise intensity. Primary reason is recovery and risk of injury.I would recommend you also join the group "low HR training" and read the sticky "the boilerplate low HR training".

IMKY13 finish!!

You would aim to build upto 2 - 2.5 hours and then raise intensity.

I run about 2 hours every Saturday as it is right now.  So, based on that I should probably stick with another 1/2 to 1 hour to my current long runs, and then try to go faster.  Sounds good to me.

Fitness/weight goals for 2014

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

2) Get to 189 lbs by the end of July 2014...and stay there (as of 4-25-14 was at 203 lbs)

3) Complete Ironman Chattanooga in under 14 hours

4) Break 4 hours in a stand alone marathon (Goal race=Rocket City 12/13/14)

5) 4,500 total overall miles for the year:

Swim: 100 miles

Bike: 3,000 miles

Run: 1,400 miles

warner

Remember to build duration in gradually, 5 - 15min weekly...