Swim Bike Run

Bikes & Maintenance (Read 136 times)

I remember T-Bone said something about "taking care of his bike better than his first born," ok maybe not like that. But he said something like that. Just wondering what everyone does for maintenance and how often you take it in for a tune-up. I check the tires and pressure pretty much before most of my rides and also hose down the bike after and clean it off after most rides also. And also oil the chain probably weekly. But other than that not much else. I usually take it in about once or twice a year for a real tune-up.

Slo

Your doing more than 90% of the riders out there. Keeping the chain clean and lubed is highly important. Keeping the crap out of the derailluers and keeping the take up sprokets clean of build up is a must too.

As far a a tune up. I am my own bike mechanic. I'm always fiddling with my bikes. Generally speaking, a 2x per year tune up is more than adequate but also depends on your mileage and shifting needs.

One thing that gets overlooked are the cables. These can create slow shifting if the housings get dirty and or grimy. Again.....all depends on type of use.

MTA:  I had to add.....Triathletes keep some of the nastiest bikes I've seen. That damn GU has a way of finding it's way into the shifters, the cables, the brakes....I don't know how but it does....and then it turns into concrete.

T-Bone

Puttin' on the foil

I think I said I treat my bike better than my car, but you get the idea.  Anyway, my frame is always clean.  You can use plain old water and an old t-shirt.  I use a bike frame cleaner, I can't remember the name but you spray it on an wipe it off.  Be careful using a hose.  Don't spray water on your wheel hubs or near the botton bracket.  Ball bearings don't like to get wet.

I clean the drivetrain after every ride of 3-4 hours.  Every other time when riding shorter.  It's really easy. I use very light lubes that cleans and lubricate.  Rock n Roll is a good one but there are many others.  Put the bike on a stand or on a trainer.  Spin the pedals with your hand in reverse and spary a coating of the lube on the chain as it spins.  I spray it on right where the chain comes across the cassette.  Then wipe the chain until its dry and clean.  Every few weeks I "floss" the cassette with an old t-shirt.  I always clean the jockey wheels/pullies too.  Again with a t-shirt.  Every once in a while (especially after a ride in the rain) I will hit the rear derailleur and pullies with a liberal dose of WD-40.  If I need a new chain or any work on my cables, I take it to the shop.

Don't be obsessed with your desires Danny. The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'