Swim Bike Run

chainring question (Read 667 times)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Friends don't let friends ride triples.

Why?  (I mean, why do you guys dislike triples--bearing in mind that I don't know much about gears)

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Why?  (I mean, why do you guys dislike triples--bearing in mind that I don't know much about gears)

the 3rd gear is sometimes referred to as the "granny gear".  It's not good for your ego to be riding and bragging about your small gear.

Whether you're a bike snob or an everyday Joe, riding with a 3rd gear (whether you use it or not) puts you in a different class of riders.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I was forever dropping my chain with mine...sometimes at random--not even while shifting. It's rare that I meet a hill that makes me miss it.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Slo

the 3rd gear is sometimes referred to as the "granny gear".  It's not good for your ego to be riding and bragging about your small gear.

Whether you're a bike snob or an everyday Joe, riding with a 3rd gear (whether you use it or not) puts you in a different class of riders.

MTA  While mostly true there are very legit reasons for the 3rd ring.

If you're a tourist / bagger you'll appreciate it. If your hauling a burly with a toddler you'll appreciate it. If your biking in the mountains you'll need it. MTA In Hindsight I suppose this would be classified as a different class of rider.

In the old days a typical rear cassette was 7 gears. Today it's 10.  7 x 3 = 21 combo's, 10 x 2 = 20 combos. Most new road bikes today come with only 2 rings. Many older riders (MTA another class) will opt for the 3rd ring.

All terrain bikes (Mountain bikes)still come with 3 although I can't recall the last time I was in the 3rd ring on mine.

Slo

I was forever dropping my chain with mine...sometimes at random--not even while shifting. It's rare that I meet a hill that makes me miss it.

Sounds like a good tuning was in order. If the stops are set right then dropping a chain shouldn't be an issue unless your bike has a fair amount of flex and your shifting under load.

Tuning a triple rig SUCKS. It's not always possible to get rid of the chain rub...actually chain rub is practically guaranteed. I hate chain rub.

Question on cranks from guys who build up bikes?

I'm thinking about swapping out the 172.5mm FSA Gossamer 55/39 crank on my B2 for a light weight compact double but I know little to nothing about cranks and BB's. My question is....how do I go about looking for a compatible crank set for my bike? My Felt B2 has an english threaded BB. Do I needed to get a new BB with the crankset or can I use the MegaExo FSA BB?

I'm going on the cheap here and am looking at used from CL or E-bay and have no idea what to look for beside the crankset being a compact set.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Slo

Most new cranksets and used come with a bottom bracket.  The Bottom bracket on your Felt is as standard as they come. You'll have no worries. If you are selling your old crankset on Ebay it will fetch a higher price with the BB included.

For the most part, BB's are cheap. The external like the FSA you have now are very easy to install and the tooling, (if you chose to use it rather than channel locks) is inexpensive. (Buy the tool)

As far as using your existing BB, It will depend on the crank you purchase. These are pretty much standard today and the likely hood that a newer crank will use your existing BB is very high but I can't promise that.

Are you changing anything on your rear cassette ?

Most new cranksets and used come with a bottom bracket.  The Bottom bracket on your Felt is as standard as they come. You'll have no worries. If you are selling your old crankset on Ebay it will fetch a higher price with the BB included.

For the most part, BB's are cheap. The external like the FSA you have now are very easy to install and the tooling, (if you chose to use it rather than channel locks) is inexpensive. (Buy the tool)

As far as using your existing BB, It will depend on the crank you purchase. These are pretty much standard today and the likely hood that a newer crank will use your existing BB is very high but I can't promise that.

Are you changing anything on your rear cassette ?

I've been looking at FSA, Shimano and SRAM and have noticed that quite a few say they include a BB30, but I'm not sure if that one will fit.

The rear cassette on my race wheels is an 11-21. The crank on my road bike is a 53/39. I think the cassette on my B2 is a 12-23 with a 55/39. I'm not sure if I should go with the 12-23 or the 11-21 with a compact crank but I would experient with both cassettes and pick one combo for both sets of wheels. I honestly don't ride much in the big ring, thats why I was considering a compact.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Slo

I don't know the specs on your Felt but given the current set up I doubt this is a BB30 so do not purchase a crankset that is BB30 unless you confirm your felt has a BB30 bottom Bracket.

Since you told me it is standard english threads I'm guessing not.

You can convert a BB30 bracket to a "regular" crank. Going the other way...no. But if you look reallyhard someone probably makes a conversion.

The BB30 is a new "open" standard that oversizes the BB on the bike so you can put in larger bearings with out adding weight. "Weight Weenie" stuff. It seems to be gaining popularity.

If you are doing the conversion to a compact crank you likely have a braze on front derailluer. Make sure you have room to lower this. Shimano does not make a "compact crank" specific front derailleur. This may or may not be an issue. Depends how close you can get the cage to the teeth.  I'm using a shimano FD-6700 Ultegra Braze on on my bike with out any issue. FSA makes a good FD and you don't have to worry to much about compatability between FD and Shifters. Disclaimer...Any time you mix match brands there could be compatibility issues. do so at your own risk or search the internet well before purchasing.

Honestly, I don't know that your gaining much by going to a compact crank. There are advantages and while the risk is small you may need to purchase a new FD and depending on the crankset you buy you may be messing with your chainline. (stick with external bearing cups since that is what you have now) None of these are big deals but could cause some headaches.

I've been away for awhile...miss me. K, time to get this posted.

I don't know the specs on your Felt but given the current set up I doubt this is a BB30 so do not purchase a crankset that is BB30 unless you confirm your felt has a BB30 bottom Bracket.

Since you told me it is standard english threads I'm guessing not.

You can convert a BB30 bracket to a "regular" crank. Going the other way...no. But if you look reallyhard someone probably makes a conversion.

The BB30 is a new "open" standard that oversizes the BB on the bike so you can put in larger bearings with out adding weight. "Weight Weenie" stuff. It seems to be gaining popularity.

Does BB30 mean 30 millimeters?

I never understood what that represented other than "BB30".

Brian

Life Goals:

Slo

The rear cassette on my race wheels is an 11-21. The crank on my road bike is a 53/39. I think the cassette on my B2 is a 12-23 with a 55/39. I'm not sure if I should go with the 12-23 or the 11-21 with a compact crank but I would experient with both cassettes and pick one combo for both sets of wheels. I honestly don't ride much in the big ring, thats why I was considering a compact.

What works for one won't for another.

I'm running a 11-23 on my road bike with the compact. I'm rarely in the 11 and rarely in the 23. My biking contains lots of hills so I'm constantly shifting.

Big Ring vs Small Ring.

I'm an equal opportunity employer. If I start the ride in the Big Ring I will likely stay in the big ring the whole ride. Actually, I could damn near do away with the small ring...but to avoid wearing out one ring prematurely I will sometimes do an entire ride only in the small.

I haven't left the small ring on my Cross Check in the last two weeks.

Slo

Brian

I'm not sure what the "30" stands for. It's a Cannondale thing...If I get chance I'll go look. I've never delt with one. I do have a Cannondale frame but made sure that it was not a BB30 before I bought it.

There are others like BB90 and BB906 or something like that.

68mm an 70mm are widths. Usually the same BB will work for both. The only difference is a spacer between the cup and the frame to maintain the chainline. Again, I don't know how much the chain line matters on a geared bike since it is very unlikly the chain is running straight to begin with. It is important though that the bearing cupds thread all the way up to the frame.

Slo

Brian

Yes BB30 means 30 millimeters.  Did a little research.

Spindle Diameter.

24mm is pretty much the largest on the standard BB today. BB30 allows you to go up to 30mm spindle diameter and puts the bearings inside the BB.

Note: 24mm spindles on a common BB requires external bearing cups.

A 30 millimeter spindle is stiffer and puts more Torque to the wheel. Putting the bearings inside means less material so it's lighter.

BB30 is only bad if you buy it and your bike doesn't have a BB30 spec.

BB30 FAQ

BB30 is only bad if you buy it and your bike doesn't have a BB30 spec. 

That's funny!  But yes, that would be bad.

Life Goals: